Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

What type monitors does Flex use to demo 6400M and 6600M for the best resolution?

Mick Bell
Mick Bell Member
Awaiting my 6400M and anticipating use with about a 32" monitor.  Shopping around for monitors now.  Ideas?

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited October 2017
    Any monitor (or TV) that supports a resolution of 1920x1200 and has an HDMI interface will work.  The greater the dot pitch, the sharper the display.
  • Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Mick, you should consider a cheap-ish 4K tv. I use a 42" 4K tv set that I think I paid around 290 bucks for and its perfect for me. You have to be careful and read the reviews from Amazon (or wherever because some TVs do not perform so well as computer monitors but almost every tv under this green earth has someone who has tried it and puts a review on amazon, newegg or wherever you shop. My set is an Avera and discontinued but its the best compromise I have found between multiple monitors and readable text (since I cannot read the text on a 24" 4K monitor at my age).

• Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    I apologize, you are probably thinking of a monitor for connecting to the radio itself, in which case my brilliantly inappropriate advice is very bad!
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited October 2017
    :-)
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019

Mick to add to what Tim said at the top.

Some years back our IT guys started looking at cheaper large screen text resolution for our nurse station walls (hospital).

720p didn't cut it.

1080p res is more crisp and legible with fine text if you are thinking TV with hdmi input.
    1920x1080 = 1080p

(Had to edit, the late night cobwebs were effecting me when I first chimed in.)

• KS4JU
    KS4JU Member
    edited October 2017
    Actually Neal's suggestion is not that bad. Most 4K sets will upsample 1080p to 4k just fine. So a 4K set should work great plugged into the 6400M or 6600M HDMI port. The 2017 line of TCL 4K sets have been getting lots good reviews lately and they are pretty affordable. If your intent is to have a large wall mounted display in the shack this definitely would be the way to go. The best thing about 4k is the pixel count is so dense, it is hard to see the individual pixels unless you are about 3 or 4 inches away from the screen. The 4k sets can also make very good PC monitors if your PC can drive the display to full 4k resolution natively through HDMI or Display Port. Neal is correct that text at 4k can get a little hard to read since it's so tiny. However Windows 10 supports 4K scaling so you adjust the size of the text and Icons to a more comfortable size. This works well for most applications, however you are going to probably find some older applications may not scale very well. A 4K set can be used as as a very good PC monitor, but a 42inch or up screen can be a lot of monitor sitting in front of your face from 1 to 2 feet away :)
  • Mick Bell
    Mick Bell Member
    edited October 2017
    Thanks, Mike.  I'll only be using it for the 6400M so potential problems with other applications shouldn't be of much concern.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.