What role does SmartSDR CAT play with respect to setting up third party applications like HRD?

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
Setting up SmartSDR to interface with third party software like CW skimmer and Ham Radio Deluxe has been a nightmare for me. I am new to the flex series and not too savvy with computers. I think I understand the basic concepts but i am still not too sure. I had all sorts of problems installing com0com under windows 10 and got several errors resulting in an incomplete installation. I would like to expand on the capabilities of the radio (flex 6500) but am getting pretty frustrated! Can anyone help me out? A real newbie here...
Photo of Tony C kc2dis

Tony C kc2dis

• 79 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
  • confused

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3784 Posts
  • 1637 Reply Likes
First ...Remove Com0Com  - you do not need it...

SmartSDR CAT creates all the virtual serial ports you will need and it is much better and easier to use than Com0Com

Second... Install DDUTIL - it will act as a traffic cop for your band data to feed things like HRD Logbook, SteppIR Antennas, Wattmeters, Rotors and Amps.

HRD - is totally redundant.. Not sure why anyone would want to use it if they are using SMARTSDR which does everything that HRD does much better than HRD plus you have a Panadpter

I personally use HRDLogbook which is quite good.. runs very well without HRD as long as you use DDUTIL to connect SmartSDR to it..

For CWSkimmer - the traffic cop program is SDRBridge - DDUTIL can also be the traffic cop - but I think SDRBridge does a better job

BTW.. Windows 10 is a nightmare which will continue to cause you problems for the next couple of years until Microsoft finally debugs completely.

For a newbie you will be much happier with a Windows 7 system which is stable...

Hope this helps
(Edited)
Photo of Tony C kc2dis

Tony C kc2dis

• 79 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Thank you so much... i will work on removing com0com as it does not show up in any uninstall options I have..  I will also uninstall HRD as per your suggestion. I really wanted the logbook functions... when i do these things i will then work on installing DDUTIL (not sure what that is) then work on the rest of your suggestions! I will report back when complete! Thanks for your quick response. As to the windows 10 issue.. I just bought this computer and it was already pre installed I am not sure I could even back down to windows 7 if i wanted to!
(Edited)
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 645 Reply Likes
Howard was spot on with that. I, too, use hrdlog and like it very much. One thing I would add is dm-780, which is very good for digital. It also comes with hrd. But as Howard implied hrd, the overarching control in the hrd set is unwieldy and, as Howard said, you won't need it.
(Edited)
Photo of Tony C kc2dis

Tony C kc2dis

• 79 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
OK just did all the suggestions above.  I have DDUtil up and running. Not sure what to do next
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 645 Reply Likes
Did you install smartSDR? If not, do that next.
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3784 Posts
  • 1637 Reply Likes
Do you have HRD Logbook installed?
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3784 Posts
  • 1637 Reply Likes
If so open DDUTIL Setup and check the HRD App

Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3784 Posts
  • 1637 Reply Likes
You should now be able to connect to HRD logbook
Photo of Tony C kc2dis

Tony C kc2dis

• 79 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Thanks for all the help.  to answer some of the questions... yes I have smartsdr installed.. have been using it now for the past three days without a hitch..will now go looking for HRD logbook.
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 645 Reply Likes
Hrdlog comes with ham radio deluxe it'll be under apps->Amateur Radio or apps-->hrd.
Photo of Tony C kc2dis

Tony C kc2dis

• 79 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
feel as if i am close.. i launch hrd logbook and i get a message about checking my hrd ip server being started...
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3784 Posts
  • 1637 Reply Likes
Yes you are

Click logbook options

Then ok

Then connect and HRD LOgbook should read your radio frequency.
(Edited)
Photo of Tony C kc2dis

Tony C kc2dis

• 79 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
no joy.. i get to the pane you describe click connect and get similar error messages.. oh well thanks for trying..
Photo of Tony C kc2dis

Tony C kc2dis

• 79 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
ok i clicked something seems like the software is reading the frequency now
thanks... kc2dis
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3784 Posts
  • 1637 Reply Likes
Walt and I said it was easy

What do you want to try next?
Photo of Tony C kc2dis

Tony C kc2dis

• 79 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
decoding some cw would be a big plus
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3784 Posts
  • 1637 Reply Likes
You will need to install SDRbridge and CWSKimmer
Photo of Tony C kc2dis

Tony C kc2dis

• 79 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
ok ill save for another night!
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3784 Posts
  • 1637 Reply Likes
http://www.qrv.com/sdrbridge.html

Detailed instructions on the site.
(Edited)
Photo of Tony C kc2dis

Tony C kc2dis

• 79 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
just as an aside HRD seems to be getting all the data from smart sdr now.. even audio
thanks for the link.. I will check it out.. you guys have been so helpful