Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

What new features will the 2.2.8 give me on the 6400M

Rick  WN2C
Rick WN2C Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I have been using it stand alone. So what new features will there be on the 6400M using it stand alone. 

Answers

• Jim K4JAF
    Jim K4JAF Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Not a lot unfortunately.  You get the Peak S Meter reading, radio boot without the hassle of choosing which version of SmartSDR you want to run, Color fill for the spectrum, CW pitch improvement and bug fixes. It certainly appears the "M" model users will suffer in lack of improvements in the coming SmartSDR upgrades.  I do wish now I had chosen the non "M" 6400 or 6600.  

I guess I can just use it as the non "M" in my mode of operations.  Unless you just have to have a "stand alone" Flex with no computer involved, think about it before you purchase (perhaps things will change in the future). 

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited May 2018
    Personally, I think what was listed for the M models was significant  You missed the fixes to the remote monitor orientation and all of the model agnostic 2.2 updates, which are the (non-trivial) refactoring of the of the logic for switching from RX->TX->RX that greatly reduces switching times and all of the other radio-centric changes (performance and stability) that apply to all FLEX-6000s.
  • Jim K4JAF
    Jim K4JAF Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    As Tim says the internal changes/upgrades were significant.  Personally I never had the monitor orientation problem on my 6499M.  The small screen just doesnt allow the additions, etc that the 24 inch or higher monitor allows in SmartSDR.  The M models are great radios but are limited when comparing to the versatility of SmartSDR on a large monitor screen as so much more data is available.  
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    With a FLEX radio there is no end to what can be added to your Stand alone 6400M,  I have been a happy FLEX owner since 2008 and there has always been something cool and something WE as users never even thought possible PLUS + you get SmartSDR for free if you ever want to run it on a computer.

Best thing with the Stand Alone 'M series" is that if you need to Grab and Go you CAN with out having a laptop and ALL the other perifial things tagging along in another case just to use the radio. 

Basically I think the "M" and "Maestro" are just now scratching the surface on what will be possible for them in the future. 
    This was the main reason I bought my 6600M, I waited a week to open the box because of some house remodeling and busy at work but last nigh I got it hooked up,  it is so light and a nice display and to be self contained and ready to go in a minutes notice. 

I have both my 6700 and 6600M here running on my network doing some comparisons and I have to tell you I like the extra filtering when things get tight on the bands.

in a nut shell, GIVE IT SOME TIME I don't think you would be sorry you bought the "M" series.
    73's
    Bret
    WX7Y

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.