Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

What is your choice?

Jeff W7NEE
Jeff W7NEE Member ✭✭
As we near the date of release and the final decisions need to be made to finalize your order for processing, what is your choice? 6400M, 6400, 6600M, 6600 or 6700? Are you adding on any extras? 

Please explain your thoughts as to why you choose this configuration for your shack.

Answers

• FRED  W9TB
    FRED W9TB Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    6600M no extras !!
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I really like my 6500, it does everything I need. A 6400 would be just right.
  • N2TU
    N2TU Company Adviser ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Just a matter of your preference! For me, I like the 6600 and a Maestro. That gives me the option of remote (in house or away) of having my radio with me.  I can sit on the patio and operate without having to drag the radio with me.

The non-M model, with a Maestro, is just a few dollars more than an M model, so for me, it is a no brainer.

Others like the all in one aspect of the M models.

It all boils down to what sort of operating will you be doing....any choice is a good one!

Lou N2TU
  • Gerard Hol
    Gerard Hol Member
    edited March 2018
    Order the 6600M nothing extra
  • NA7AA Tom
    NA7AA Tom Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    6600M I want a Radio, not another computer. Flex-able Radio!
  • Butch
    Butch Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    6700 & Maestro creates the best of all worlds for me.  First the 6700 is fairly small, so it's easy to find a place for it.  I use SmartSDR on my PC in the shack, and my Maestro keeps me from always being tied to the shack, which is great for wandering around the house, out on my deck, or anywhere else where connectivity is available.  Contest Filters can be added to the 6700 (if needed).  Includes the 2M band (which can also be used as a 2nd Transverter IF).  And of course the option to view 8 receiver slices is great for catching those occasional higher HF band openings.  Extra's?  The Flex Knob offers quick adjustment of commonly needed functions (without having to reach for the mouse), and I have pre-ordered a Power Genius Amp.
  • Gerard Hol
    Gerard Hol Member
    edited March 2018
    Owner of flex 6500 and maestro but sold and now waiting when the 6600M comes to the Netherlands . Also owner of the K3s and Kx2 icom 7800. PD0PIW Gerard 73,s
  • Neil   N4FN
    Neil N4FN Member
    edited July 2019
    Jeff
    It depends on your operating style. I am not a contester but have ordered a 6400 with a separate Maestro. Since my shack is downstairs and I am 83 my trips down are cut since I can monitor and contact from the comfort of my den Also one of our local FLEX wizards and a good friend Mack W4AX knows how I like to operate and I followed his expert advice. Hard to beat the combo 
    Neil   N4FN

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I like my 6700 and if I had to buy again I'd buy another one. I like the ability to do 8 slices. 2m is icing on the cake. 

If I had to buy for a remote site and money was no object I would buy a 6600. If I had to buy for a remote site and money was a concern I would either buy a used 6300 if the price was right OR a 6400.

• YV5WZ
    YV5WZ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    6600.....& MARS.....I'm still wondering for what reason would I buy a Maestro to be use at my 1200 FtSq apartment .....Nowadays thinking about "running away" from Venezuela, I probably left behind all my station....so I will need to start it over from zero.....so just 6600 and a wire antenna for transmission from Quito, Equator or Anchorage, Alaska  .....hahaha
  • Craig Williams
    Craig Williams Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    6400 with a tuner option. End of the year.
  • Joe  N9VX
    Joe N9VX Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    6400 no options. I will use a FlexControl knob, but already have that, would not do without the knob. The M model is not worth a $1000 to me, if I want to use something like that, I will use my new iPad. Had a Flex/ANAN for years and like using with the computer.

• Jim-KB1ZNV
    Jim-KB1ZNV Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    A bare 6600M.
  • Gary Johnson
    Gary Johnson Member
    edited January 2018
    6600M.  Can do everything 6600 can do plus more.  Might add a Maestro when Multi-Client happens.  It's cheaper than a second Flex for guests to use.  Would allow me to work in house with 6600M in shack.
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    As all you guys start to get your 6400's and 6600's I am hoping that some 6700's start to come in on the pre-owned site for a good price!
  • James Whiteway
    edited January 2018
    6600M here. Desk space was starting to get short when I had the 6500 and Maestro. (I really liked the Maestro) So, the M models take care of my needs pretty good. As for extras, I already have a cable for my Heil 781 boom mic. So, I should be ready for the "out of the box experience!"
    james
    WD5GWY

• Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I have a 6600M on order from a dealer here - no idea when it will arrive. I plan to use it with dogparkSDR on an iMac and SmartSDR for IOS on an iPad (plus of course just using it from the front panel when I am actually in front of the radio). I chose the 6600M because I want it to be stand-alone when I want (field trips?), and when I have a computer with it, I want to be able to watch multiple bands at the same time - I'm tired of guessing whether another band is better for what I'm doing, so I'd like to monitor 3 or 4. And I'd like to see what's on HF while I'm talking on a 2M net - I use a K3 with transverter for 2M, so cannot look at HF bands at the same time without switching away. I already have a Bluetooth headset for the iPad and iMac, plus a Griffin Powermate for tuning with the iPad - hope that all works out. In the mean time, while I wait for the Flex, I'll make do with my K3/P3 combo and the KX3 for portable :-)
  • YV5WZ
    YV5WZ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Hey guys, I was wondering

How much would be the price for a used 6300? with ATU, 2 years and half since bought directly from FlexRadio, always has been used with Amp (elecraft KPA500 & Expert 1.3k), so 20-30 watts frequently use power and Week-end use....it came to my home and it has not been move...
    How much?...just wondering

George,
    YV5WZ / PY3ZZZ

By the way.....Non smoking environment 
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Each of my QTHs have a Flex-6700 w/GPSDO and their own Maestro. I have at present an additional Flex-6600M w/GPSDO and Power Genius XL Amp (you can see pictures of the new radios & amp setup on my blog), and have temporarily replaced a 6700 while testing the new gear. I’ve also owned and sold a Flex-6300. My personal maxims concerning FlexRadios are: - You can never have too many slices available. - Two SCUs are more than double a single SCU unit. - Having several different ways to run your radios (Maestro , PC, iPad, M-model front..) are all good and improve your satisfaction. - A person’s operating style both evolves with familiarity with their Flex and varies depending what their immediate operating goal is. - As the radio improves by upgrades so does the operator’s effectiveness. - Taking screenshots/pictures/detailed notes of your settings seems to keep the gremlins at bay, or sorts it out quicker if they do strike. - Like everything else network and PC based, a good reboot with power cord then pulled sometimes is the magic elixir needed. - And last that for each operator YMMV, so adapt to meet conditions and goals, making sure you’re having fun. 73 Steve K9ZW
  • Butch
    Butch Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    George -  you can research used 6300 prices on qth.com, eham.com, and qrz.com.
  • YV5WZ
    YV5WZ Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Thank you!!!

George
  • Rick Hadley - W0FG
    Rick Hadley - W0FG Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I have a 3-yr old 6500 & a Maestro, and have a 6400/ATU that will be delivered soon for testing.  I'm curious to see if that's enough radio for me.  I seldom run more than 2 pans with the 6500, so it will be an interesting test.  If the 6400 proves adequate for my needs, I may sell the 6500 and put the money into better antennas.  If not, I'll trade them both in and move up to a 6600 or 6600M and go into hock for a tower.

Rick, W0FG
  • Brad A. Steffler
    Brad A. Steffler Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Jeff,

I recently traded my 6500 in for a new 6700 for these reasons: 
    1. Eventual implementation of diversity reception.
    2. 2 meter operation and use of the DEMI 2 meter amplifier. GPSDO will be added for 2 meter and above work. I plan to add at least 222 MHz. and 432-440 MHz. Maybe even 1.2 GHz.
    3. 8 possible slices. Because of this reason, I did not buy the 6600 or 6600m.

I stayed with Flex because I love their approach, technically and businesswise. They have lived up to their promises and have treated me well (please no flames from those waiting for the 6600 and 6600 radios. - I am waiting for my Power Genius XL as well). I have been a Flexer since the 5000a days. The company is always honest. And nothing compares with their equipment in my opinion. Sorry Anan users.

Brad
    KE4XJ

• Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Personal: 6700 with rack ears + Maestro.  The radio may be located away from whatever operation location I use.
    Club station: 6600 with rack ears + Maestro at operating station.  Radio in rack with antenna switches.  Design emphasis is 100% remote operation.

Only problem is N1MM+ generated code cannot be heard on Maestro connected headphones; so for CW contesting the phones are plugged into the radio.  Perhaps someday monitor signals will be added to the remote audio stream.
  • Dale - K4DG
    Dale - K4DG Member
    edited January 2018
    I've had my 6500 for 2-1/2 years. Best radio I've ever used. I have a 6600 on order. I'm looking forward to being able to use diversity reception when implemented and the better filters for the contest bands on the 6600. I don't need the front panel/display that the "M" models have - I prefer using my three 27" monitors, mouse and FlexControl for DXing and contesting. For remote operation I'll use my laptop or the Smart SDR app on my iPad. And I have a Flex 1500 that I use exclusively for running JT9/65 and FT8.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.