Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

What is this mode? Found at 7215 and very wide!

Arnie
Arnie Member ✭✭
edited November 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
Can someone tell me what mode this is I am seeing at 7215 and looks like 9khz wide?
I saw this at 18:10 UTC in Detroit, MI area.image
Tnx de Arnie W8DU

Answers

• Bob K8RC
    Bob K8RC Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    I have no answer for you but, with the powerful spectrum-monitoring tool in front of you, you will see a lot of strange non-amateur but man-made wonders.

• Kirk
    Kirk Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Looks like a DRM radio signiture.  I often listen to RNB out of New Zeland.  Of course it could also be an encrypted radio station but it would have the  same or very simular signature.

Kirk, K6KAR
    Osprey,FL
  • Mark Gottlieb
    Mark Gottlieb Member
    edited April 2017
    Looks like Commercial Shortwave radio.
  • Bill Carnett
    Bill Carnett Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I've seen that too.  In a somewhat, maybe, related question:  I've seen ham call signs in the waterfall.  Anybody know how they do that?  
    73, Bill
    AH6FC
  • Arnie
    Arnie Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I doubt this is a signal from down under at this time of day in the midwest.
    As for the callsigns seen in the waterfall on digital modes, that is done in software, the most popular of which are HRD and FLDigi. It is called Reed_Solomon ID encoding, of RSID for short. It can be very useful in identifying what mode you are sending so the person on the other hand who may be a newbie does not have to guess.
    73 de Arnie W8DU
  • Walt
    Walt Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017

http://www.sigidwiki.com/wiki/Database

is your friend - lots to look at and compare, or submit if you have something new.

Cheers

• W0DRO
    W0DRO Member
    edited April 2017
    I found this on ARRL intruder web page:

Broadcaster “Sound of Hope” from Taiwan continues to be jammed by a much stronger signal from China on 18.080 MHz each morning at about 0600 and later. Broadcast transmissions in this band are illegal, and BNetzA has complained. The agency also has complained formally about intruding spurious transmissions daily from a broadcaster in Iran on 7205 kHz, extending down to 7195 kHz and up to 7215 kHz.

• K3DCW
    K3DCW Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    From 1800-1900z, 7220 (center frequency) is used by Radio Romania for a Digital Radio Mondiale (DRM) transmission from Tiganesti, Romania.

• K3DCW
    K3DCW Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017

Video ID, which is available in Fldigi, DM780 and MultiPSK.

It uses an adaptation of Feld **** mode to show callsigns, CQ, mode IDs, or just about any other text you might want.  Not as useful as RSID for digital fans, but for those that are not diehard digital users, it can be a useful tool.

• Arnie
    Arnie Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Thanks! That is the most likely candidate. Fits the time and frequency and expected propagation. Is it me or has 40 meters pretty much dried up lately as far as qso'ing?
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    It definitely looks like DRM. 
    And yes, 40 is the pits these days. I've been mostly on 80. 
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Could be DRM..   program is called ARTEMIS to help identify those signals

• Rick  WN2C
    Rick WN2C Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
  • K3DCW
    K3DCW Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Wrong freq.  http://www.shortwaveschedule.com/index.php?freq=7220

You also need to make sure you use center frequency, not the lower edge. All regulatory/scheduling assignments are done based upon center frequency.

A very useful site indeed, but I've always found it best to go to one of two sources.

1) The HFCC, which is an organization of broadcasters and administrations around the world who voluntarily work out the schedule coordination, with updates as needed throughout the year. http://www.hfcc.org/data/index.phtml

They publish the official schedules from many broadcasters. However, not every broadcaster or administration participates, thus real-world monitoring helps.

Therefore, a good secondary reference is: 

2) Eibi - http://www.eibispace.de/

They use a blend of HFCC and on-the-air monitoring to identify broadcasters. 

However, shortwaveschedule.com is indeed useful, especially for the "on the air now" feature.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.