Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

What is the ratio of the tuners in the flex 6400M? i.e. will it tune above 3 to 1?

KB4OIF
KB4OIF Member ✭✭
What is the tuning ratio of the 6400M's antenna tuner?  

Answers

• HCampbell  WB4IVF
    HCampbell WB4IVF Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019

Can it match a 3:1 or higher SWR?  Depends.  It should match a 3:1 SWR (and beyond) for resistive loads.  Here are the specs:

Integrated Antenna Tuner Specifications

• Matching Range 80m - 10m: 8.3 Ohms - 300 Ohms
    • Matching Range 160 and 6m: 16.7 Ohms - 150 Ohms

As you can see the tuner is capable of matching resistive loads of at least 3:1 (and higher on most bands).  But for “real-world” loads that are not purely resistive, it would depend on the nature of the reactive component.  For example, my LDG autotuner is “rated” at 10:1 SWR, but for my 160M dipole it will not match a portion of the band although the SWR is under 3:1.

Howard

• KB4OIF
    KB4OIF Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Thanks Howard.  I also use a LDG 600 Pro II as my tuner.  Just trying to see if it's a good idea to get the tuner installed on the 6400M.  I don't have a lot of antenna's.  at present it's a Carolina windom .  
  • HCampbell  WB4IVF
    HCampbell WB4IVF Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019

Personally, I’d go with the internal tuner option, if only for its integration into SmartSDR.  If you kept the LDG inline (normally set on Bypass), you’d have the option of switching to it in case the internal tuner had a problem with certain frequency ranges.   Besides, the internal tuner only adds $300 to the cost of the radio, and might make it easier to sell in case you decide to trade up later. 

Howard

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I always see the internal tuner as a good option. You may find yourself using your radio some day were you will need it. Also it is great for a possible re sale down the road, people will ask for it.
  • VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    I'd have to agree with Howard on this one.  I had an LDG tuner with my mobile rig (FT 991) and it was unable to tune consistently on 80m on my vertical.  The internal tuner on the Flex 6500 handles it with no problems at all.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.