Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

What is the purpose of the quick record button?

Richard Adkins
Richard Adkins Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I'm an extremely new user of Flex so please bear with me.  What is the use of the quick record button? I can't seem to get it to do anything.

Answers

• Richard Adkins
    Richard Adkins Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I was hoping it would be an easy way for me to record my CQ and have it loop until someone responded. That doesn't seem to be the case.
  • Lee - N2LEE
    Lee - N2LEE Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    On page 33 of the 1.9.9 manual there is a pretty good description of how the Quick Record works.
  • Richard Adkins
    Richard Adkins Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Got it!  Thank you.
  • Richard Adkins
    Richard Adkins Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Part (most) of it was user error. Once I figured out that my headset mic wasn't hearing me and only the separate mic was, things seemed to start coming together.  I'm still figuring out how to get my headset/mic (Heil Pro 7) to work instead of my separate microphone (Heil PR-40) taking all the tx voice. When I depress the push to talk, only the PR-40 picks up my voice. I can't seem to get the Pro 7 to listen to me.  I can hear out of it wonderfully.  I'll eventually figure it out. I hope. lol
  • Dave
    Dave Member
    edited January 2018
    You can also use something like Audacity via DAX and use that to play music, or any recording. Works very well and you can record until the cows come home :)
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Hi Richard,
    There is a request in for a "looping" or "black box" recording option.   It has 21 votes so far, here is a link where you can add your comments / support and vote.  

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/black_box_recording_add_a_looping_option_to_the_rec...

Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
    SSDR / DAX / CAT/ 6700 -  V 1.11.12
    Win10
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Richard,
    Look at your MicProfiles.  As you set up a Mic, you can control which Mic input is used.
    Depending upon which rig you have.... For example, I have a 6500, and I can select BAL or LINE (uses the Balanced Mic connector on the Rear) or MIC (Front Panel Mic Connector) or PC (which comes via the computer if the "Remote" button is selected) or ACC (uses the 15 pin connector on the back)

These different connectors do not mix audio inside the rig.  

You can save numerous Mic Profiles with different characteristics - some for rac chewing, some for DXing or Contesting, some for your boom mic and others for your headset mic.

You can send your Mic Audio from your rig to an external program like Audacity, or to your logging program like N1MM or N3FJP's ACLog or other contesting programs.  They will allow you to record audio memory files using your Mic of choice right from the rig.  Then you can play them back using the voice keyer function in your logging program.  Slick!

As far as the quick record function goes...I use it a lot to record someone off the air and play them back so they can hear their own audio.  I also hit it while I am transmitting and record myself so I can hear exactly what my transmitted audio sounds like.  If you listen simply with the MON function, you will not hear your true audio because the MON is tapped BEFORE any filtering, processing, or Equalization.  The Quick record is an easy way to help adjust your transmitted Audio profile (Mic Profile).  Just remember to save the Mic Profile after you have gotten things the way you want.

You can check out some tutorials (slightly dated) on www.Youtube.com/NM9P

Ken - NM9P
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Thanks Ken, learned something new today but I usually do from you. Did not know about the difference in Mon audio.
  • Richard Adkins
    Richard Adkins Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Thank you very much, Ken.  Great answer. I'll do my best to put it to use.
  • Brad A. Steffler
    Brad A. Steffler Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Thanks, Ken. I did not know that the Mon function was tapped before most processing & etc. That will help me a lot when I get audio comments that there is a problem that I can't hear with Mon ( which has happened).

Brad
    KE4XJ
  • Paul Lourd
    Paul Lourd Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    This is all great info! I have never tried feeding a recorded CQ into a rig. Wouldn't you then have to change the mic input from PC to MIC to then answer someone who returned your call?
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    If you are using your logger’s voice Keyer, in the logger Setup, choose “DAX Audio TX”as your output device. In SSDR, turn the DAX button ON in the TX control panel, and activate DAX TX in the Dax Control panel and adjust the DAX levels correctly while transmitting with the voice Keyer. You also need to tell the voice Keyer how to apatat the rig, either through a CAT PTT port or via CAT command or VOX. The voice Keyer will send your recorded audio. And your mic will send your live voice using mic VOX or PTT.
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Paul get ready, if you're anything like me I think you will be very happy with the new ways of setup DAX (virtual audio cables) virtual com ports as well make life a little better. They are solid as a rock. No more possibility of RF getting into the audio inputs. Pay close attention when Ken said above about making sure DAX button was selected, that's about the only way you can **** it up is in the little details in your initial setup. Small learning curve it comes in time.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    lol... I just noticed the typo:

"You also need to tell the voice Keyer how to apatat the rig,...." 

Obviously, that needs to say "You also need to tell the voice keyer how to PTT the rig...."

I just LOVE the "Auto-Corrupt" on my iPad.....
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    This "smart phone" is the smartest either. I usually catch my mistakes shortly after I send the post.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.