Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

What is the maximum length of the Group and Name properties of the Memory object in FlexLib?

K9DUR
K9DUR Member ✭✭
edited January 2017 in SmartSDR API

There appears to be a maximum number of characters that you can assign to the Group & Name properties of the Memory object.  Does anyone know what the limit is?

73, Ray, K9DUR

Answers

• Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Ray, the short answer is they are String objects so the max is some really large number of characters. It is used in the memory object and I haven't actually seen where / how they are used. Short of Eric answering how these values are used/max practical size, I'd assume a really small number like a name. I've found no instances of getGroup() or getName() nor have I seen where memory objects are used. What you could do is start wireshark on the system where ssdr is running and listen on port 4992 to see where messages referring to group and name are passed.

_radio.SendCommand("memory set " + _index + " group=" + _group.Replace(' ', 'u007f'));

Could it maybe have something to do with upgrade?

• K9DUR
    K9DUR Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017

Walt,

Unfortunately the short answer is wrong. 

I am working on a memory management program. My program can create a .csv file with the same format as SmartSDR creates.  However, if the Group or Name fields are too long in the .csv file, & I import it into SmartSDR, I get unpredictable results.  The Data from one memory spills over into the next memory.

73, Ray, K9DUR

• James Whiteway
    edited April 2015
    You can always use a Hex editor and look at the fields in the orignal file and see if each field is being padded with null characters at the end of the saved text. Unless the fields allow variable length. If the are fixed length just loop thru a specific field and count the characters. james WD5GWY
  • James Whiteway
    edited April 2015
    I guess my answer depends on being able to access the file Flex uses. (Didn't think of that earlier) Maybe, the api has a section where the memory file is created/loaded. You could look for it in the uncompiled source code and see where it is defined. james
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Ray, in the software they are both strings, Memory.cs:145 "private string _group; " @177 private string _name;
    The max size on a string is 2^31 characters long. Thanks to the other question on Memory, I now know what they are used for and why they show up nowhere in the source avaiable, the GUI uses them. I added a frequency and neither group nor name are filled in. Using the Memory screen I can not add beyond 32 for Name or group. The question you need to ask is are imports allowed? While in that snippet I showed on actually sending the group to the radio, I don't see a reference to name nor do I see a reference to "memory get" So I'd limit your spreadsheet to 32. Look at the doc, if you haven't to see what it says. It could be a bug if it never persists name but thinks it is there, again, check on the doc I am guessing it's a new feature? Either way, there is a bug as input logic should always vet the data coming in.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.