Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

What is the latest production update on the following Flex products: 6400, 6400M, 6600,6600M, softwa

DR DEPRESSOR
DR DEPRESSOR Member ✭✭
Product Updates

Answers

• k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
      :-)
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    V.2 could be out anytime now, I believe the last two issues have be done and it is in testing.
    PowerGenius XL is slated for the end of summer.
    The M models slated for end of Aug Sept.
    the 6400 and 6600 Around Nov

This can change as you know, best not to pin a time down,,just watch and listen.

• Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    ... could be out anytime but not now !
  • Steve Jones gw0gei
    edited April 2020
    Interesting that whilst browsing the n1mm help files online last night and reading about the spectrum facility it referred to 6000 radios being supported as well as ic7300 and ic7610 using the cat interface as well as udp. It says v2.0 onwards required. So it might be a reason for me to upgrade - once it is confirmed that the code sorts out the longstanding firmware crash problem Meanwhile uk dealers cant give remaining 6300 stock away - prices reduced again for atu and non atu versions in this months radcom rsgb magazine. I have given up trying to sell my 6300 as sub £1400 second hand ones are still not selling. It will now be kept for transverting and future multi two contesting. I hope the 6600m versions at least, if not non m versions, will be ready in time for display at rsgb hf convention in october as i plan on going and want to see the m version in the flesh and see 2.0 in use. I will be contacting the main flex uk dealer to request a working demo at the convention so those of us considering an upgrade can get hands on with the new radio and 2.0. Even if tx was disabled it would be cool to wan access some stations in usa or ve as part of a demo. Playing with my new lin amp uk gemini 2m 1.2kw pa after unboxing it last night, so not bothered when 2.0 comes out late, but will be interested to read about experiences with it once out. Took me 30mins the other night to set up vpn with soft ether for wan access to my 6300 - just out of curiosity to see how easy it was. Firmware stability is far more important to me ahead of the next contest season. Low power cw contest this sunday in rsgb domestic hf contest series, so hope i have a crash free day on sunday. Steve gw0gei / gw9j
  • DR DEPRESSOR
    DR DEPRESSOR Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Well I find it interesting that you can't purchase on the Flex used store page neither the 6500, or the 6700 models. It says they are out of stock. I tried to sell my Flex and couldn't give it away. So where are these used radios vanishing anyway? I agree with your findings on the status of the 6500 and it's saleable worth. But what is going on at Flex? The preponderance of delays is worth noting.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited July 2017
    The delays are typical with flex. Take your cash . . . get in line and wait and wait and wait . . . Then blame it on parts not being there, glitch here, glitch there. Order a radio and wait and wait and wait. Reservation of $1000 for an amp . . . get in line . . . Reservation of $500 on a 6600m . . . get in line and wait. Can NEVER call them and order a rig and have them say it's in stock and will ship today.
  • Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Maybe they can't deliver them because they are not in production yet. Ever think of that? 

Dr, Depressor you are so very wrong in every way when you say you can't give it away. My address is good on QRZ, let's see if you deliver.
  • N5LB - Lionel
    N5LB - Lionel Member
    edited July 2018
    I'm excited about the 6400 as an upgrade to the 6300.  That said, the market value of my 6 month old, Flex recertified 6300 seems to be around 70% of what I paid, pretty steep but then that's the market reaction to a new and better product.  

I have thought about buying a reservation for a 6400 even as my 6300 drops in value.  What I should do is sell the 6300 now and wait for the 6400 at the end of the year. Unfortunately, that puts me off the air until it arrives. 

The value of a 6300 will likely fall in the range of a new, discounted, 7300, sub $1,300-$1,400.  Perhaps worse if compared to a used 7300.  I have not seen any excitement by 6300 owners over the value offered by Flex on a trade up to the 6400/6600.  

From what I am seeing on this site the 2.0 version of SSDR will not be adding much performance or features to enhance the 6300. I believe it is hardware limited, not what I expected to have happen.  So is basically as good as it will get.  That kills the market value of the used 6300 gear and could happen again with the 6400.  

So early obsolescence for my 6300, unknowingly purchased at the end of the hardware life cycle. My own costly error in judgement. 

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    These guy who says they can't sell their radios are misleading people, I don't believe them.
    Dr Depressor, or what ever your name is, It is worth noting? How silly.
    It is nothing new to have delays when developing such complicated software, and who care about waiting, you in a hurry?
  • Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I heard on a QSO last night that there were a large amount of 7300's for sale on QTH. Just did a quick search and stopped counting at 10, lowest price today is $950. Goes to show ALL RADIOS loose their value for a variety of reasons discussed many times here, there, and everywhere.  Hmmm, sounds like a good song title.
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017

@Lionel
    As long as SmartSDR continues to be developed over time the 6300 will get all of the new features in the new versions keeping in mind the capabilities of the 6300 hardware.

In the new version 2.0 SSDR your 6300 will now have WAN remote capability and when new features come out like improved noise reduction/blanker new modes and many other new things your 6300 will get that too.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    N5LB,  while new features are not the main focus for the 6300, there has been a lot of work to improve performance. One of them being transmit IMD. I was talking to a tester on air the other day as he demoed the improvement, wow. His signal was perfect right down through the noise floor. So performance is the main focus in V2 that will effect your radio.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Mike, many people are finding out that the 7300 is really an entry level radio, for people who need more in a radio, the 7300 gets old fast. But I know many who bought the 6300 and still have it.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited July 2017
    N5LB wrote: "From what I am seeing on this site the 2.0 version of SSDR will not be adding much performance or features to enhance the 6300."

Not true.  There is a change to the firmware which is 6300 specific that improves the dynamic range of the receivers.
  • Michael Aust
    Michael Aust Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Well, if you could sell your Icom IC-7300 and get a fire sale on a Flex6300
    with V2.0 you would have have a super rig !

Then there would be a shortage of used Flex6300's out there to find !

What a deal !
  • Sam Johnson
    Sam Johnson Member
    edited July 2017

Yes there can be delays and long lead times for newly released products so request a deposit of say $35-50 like Icom does instead of hundreds of dollars.  Who in their right mind would give a company up to $1000 deposit for a new product that really has no firm delivery date.

• Ernest
    Ernest Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I did and I am very happy with the radio and their policy.
    Your deposit shows that you are interested and most likely will pay the balance for the unit!
  • Michael Aust
    Michael Aust Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I also put $1000 on a Power Genius XL !
    73 Mike
  • Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Nobody is forcing anyone to put a deposit on a radio or amp. Those that are doing it obviously have done so under no duress, maybe a little peer pressure :) They will be properly rewarded by getting to the front of the line and get their new radio/amp before people who did not reserve. Disney does it, why can't Flexradio? Isn't capitalism great!
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    The money paid in advanced is money paid towards the balance, it's not like your not getting the product when it ships.
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    @Sam Johnson - why not put a $1000 down if the advantages to that person outweigh the nominal cost of the interest? Remember the deposits are refundable as you answer that question. The personal advantages vs disadvantages, as well as the company's advantages vs disadvantages have been discussed enough that there are really two main positions - put some money down for some and like yourself never put money down until it is a final product. Both are logical and great positions but neither excludes the other. I'm of the persuasion that what I personally sell is a highly customizable built on the end owner's location that I could never imagine my customers waiting for a final product to purchase. I do construction as a subcontractor and it never happens without trust. In the case of FRS my deposits in the past have turned out a lot of fun for me. I'm good going forward too. If your not, cool. But I'm not out of mind for differing from your take. BTW I have a Flex-6600M deposit and two PowerGenius deposits (one for each QTH to match the Flex-6700 at each) but then I have a deposit on a custom car, a deposit/progress payment on some sparkles for the XYL and another deposit on something for the Range. Seriously considering a deposit on a new bari sax, so I can get it engraved like I would want. YMMV and remember the other guy has a good point too, just another non-exclusive point like yours. 73 Steve K9ZW
  • N5LB - Lionel
    N5LB - Lionel Member
    edited July 2017
    I reckon I missed this, and enhancement is a good thing.  But it will reach a hardware limitation relative to future growth of V2., yes. 

I will look at the FAQ for specifics on 6300 improvements.   If nothing else this information should support the resale value of the 6300.   

Everyone has some different view of features.  WAN doesn't mean much to me.  RX improvement is a very big deal on an already very good RX used mostly on CW/Dig.  SSB is about 20% used, but good to know.   

So, I see two V2 adds for the 6300, three if I cared about WAN. Two are better than zero. 

Okay. 
  • N5LB - Lionel
    N5LB - Lionel Member
    edited July 2017
    Pretty much spot on if you own a 6300 and worry about a fire sale.  Have not researched but examples seen recently indicate falling prices.  6500 pricing seems to be falling faster. 

Why buy a 7300 if you can get a 6300 at a good price plus the $200 V2 adder?  
  • Mike W8MM
    Mike W8MM Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Hey Chris, You passed me on the 96 Autobahn on the way to Friedrichshafen. I was in the white Mercedes A45 AMG right after the neck-down for one-lane traffic. Did you notice the silver 300SL?
  • KG9DW
    KG9DW Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I must be in the minority, but Flex gave me a nice deal on trading in my 6500 I had just purchased in March. When you figure in the $200 I knew I would have to pay eventually for the next software upgrade, I'm going to end up smelling pretty sweet.

My only problem is I'm without an HF rig for now, at least until one of you offers me up remote control of your station! 

Which brings me to a crazy idea...you would think that someone would be interested in buying up the 6300 radios (especially the ones that are in Europe that can't get the trade-in offers) and building more remote operating stations. Stick a 6300 somewhere RF quiet with a great antenna setup and I'm betting you can rent access for less than the existing remote offerings. 
  • Michael Aust
    Michael Aust Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Great  Idea !
  • Mark WS7M
    Mark WS7M Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Actually that is one reason I'm not selling my 6500.  Perfect flawless rig.  I am considering finding someone nearby that will let me install and put up an small tower and beam and do almost exactly that.
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Hi Mike ,Yes i remember that car. We will see us. 73 Chris
  • Bill Garfield W1BG
    edited July 2017
    If you see an opportunity to sell your 6300 for what you think you need for it, maybe pull the trigger then while waiting for the 6400 go ahead and snag one of the used 7300s in the interim just to stay on the air.  You'll never have any trouble reselling the 7300 plus you won't have much in it... (maybe keep for a spare rig)  Jus' sayin'
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited July 2017
    As it stands today, there is no change in the estimated delivery date for the new radios and PowerGenius XL amplifier.  SmartSDR v2.0 does not have an estimated delivery date.  It will be released as soon as it finishes final testing and that should be soon.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.