Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

What is the function of the LCD display and buttons on the front panel of the Flex 6500?

I have found that one can put their callsign on the LCD display, but is there any way to get it to display the current frequency, mode, band etc? And what do the buttons do, besides the reset procedure?

Answers

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    A carrot at the end of a stick.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Here is an idea that was submitted to utilize the display better.  If interested add your comments and votes.   (it has 13 votes currently)

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/front_panel_display_an_idea?topic-reply-list%5Bsett...

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
    SSDR / DAX / CAT/ 6700 -  V 1.10.16
    Win10
  • Kristoffer Selbekk Hille
    edited April 2018
    I read that, but considering the post was 3 years old I hoped that the features mentioned were already available on the radio.
  • James Del Principe
    James Del Principe Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Most of what was requested is already on screen. Why do I need to know the frequency if it is in 2 places on screen. Mode?   You mean we don't know what mode we are operating? Hmmmm. I have this key under my fist. I wonder. Am I on side band?  Locator? Doesn't change. Error codes for BIST would be useful. Now if it would give me my current body mass index, that would be valuable.       Jim
  • rfoust
    rfoust Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I wrote a script in Powershell that keeps the display updated with the active slice frequency, but the display updates very slow (you can see it draw from left to right) so I just made it update every few seconds.  I just did it for fun, it's not something I use regularly.
    edited April 2018
    The reason I would want this is because we don't always have the SSDR software in focus. We have purchased a Maestro, but nevertheless it would be neat to (and I really expected it to considering the pricetag) have basic information displayed.

Of course most of the action happens in the software or on the Maestro, but if the only thing the display "natively" supports is displaying "Warming up", "Shutting down", it's own model number or some text I don't really see the point of having a display, not even mentioning the 5 buttons. 
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    >>current frequency, mode, band<<
    for what? i am using SSDR ! Show this values much better.

technical values like voltage, current, temp of PA module or are more important. OK.

Some of us have placed F6 far from OP position - no need to see the F6 - and more silent in shack if "vacuum cleaner" under the desk or other room :-)

F6 is mainly a black box

• rfoust
    rfoust Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    If you have an immediate need for displaying the frequency and don't mind experimenting with scripts, feel free to test out the powershell scripts.  I haven't tested with the most recent version of SSDR but it should work.  Both my home computer and flex are boxed up (I'm in the process of moving).  

https://github.com/rfoust/FlexModule

The cmdlet you're looking for is "Start-FlexScreenSaver -Frequency"  It also accepts the -Clock and -UTCClock parameters.

• Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I want the display to show the weather forecast, the time and temperature, and my stock market investments. 8^)
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    as well as recommend a stock before it 'pops'...

This link shows how to display the various voltages in the 6x00.

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/voltage-read-out

At this station the 6500 and PS are under the desk so the display is only referenced when updating s/w. 
    edited March 2017
    Thanks. I will check it out. 
  • Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited March 2017
    Actually - UTC time would be pretty useful to me.

Alarms - high SWR, high temp, watchdog timer.

It's there for some future reason other than display a call sign or other oddness. I wonder what FRS's intention was at the beginning? The question wouldn't even have been asked if the display was never installed.

Kev

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Come on! Think big? DX CLUSTER!
  • AA0KM
    AA0KM Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017

Sometime's too much information can be bad thing. What do I do if it says something bad!

I can only imagine the amount of software tools flexradio has compared to this SSD tool that flex can

use.

Some small warnings is nice.

What do I do if it say bad!

LOL> :) The answer if one say's bad it is to send it in!

• Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Can't imagine putting time on the tiny display,  because there are much much better alternatives.  I have a UTC clock right on my computer. And it's pretty nice. 

my suspicions are that Flex just wanted some pretty lights on an otherwise black box with a couple switches. 

I've watched a lot of software turn into bloatware over the years. Which is what I'm pretty certain SSDR would turn into if all the demands were incorporated. 
  • Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited March 2017
    What clock are you using on your computer? I haven't found a good one yet.

Kev

• Dewey WØYWW
    Dewey WØYWW Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Kev, send me your email address and I'll send you neat, small dual clock software.
    Dewey, WØYWW
  • Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited March 2017
    Thanks!

kevin@k4vd.net

• Steve G1XOW
    Steve G1XOW Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Even $50k servers and cheap <$1k NAS drives have AND DO USE, their LCD panels correctly for the most basic "heads up" information that we all need to be able to check quickly. Both these hardware platforms have extensive GUIs, but still make sensible and practical use of an LCD panel to provide essential information that is not needed be in the GUI (on-screen all the time).

Things like input voltage, temps, status, fan speed, IP address, error messages, firmware flash percentage/stage etc should be presented on the LCD...most of which is not even available in SSDR now!

...or is it just the eye-candy that FRS say they never do?

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    When the 6500 and the 6700 were designed, the intent was for the OLED display to be used to provide diagnostic and status information in addition to allowing for positive user interaction to initiate boot time events, as it does now. Currently, there are other higher priority software projects to address than adding additional diagnostic and status information to the OLED display.  At some point in the future, these types of features may rise to the priority level where additional functionality is added.
  • James Del Principe
    James Del Principe Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Thank you, Tim, for the rational and concise explanation. BIST codes and status are very nice but I'm sure we can all wait for these.......  73, Jim
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    If I get server diagnostics, the last place I want them is on the front panel. I want them on my computer screen where I can see all of the diagnostics at the same time. It's just one of those things where someone wants something that someone else does not. 

How do you want these many items chosen for display? 
  • Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited March 2017
    When the radio can't reach the computer I think there could be value in a local diagnostic display. On the other hand, no matter what the diagnostic told me if it were any more than a blown fuse I'd probably have to return it to FRS anyway. And I call myself a ham.

Choose with the the OK and arrow buttons???

Kev K4VD
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    HI Kevin, I use HTC Home 3 on Windows 7. Either Analog or digital clocks. I display Local and UTC on the Desktop http://www.htchome.org/en/downloads/get/jegUS

For Windows 10 I use 8GadgetPack http://8gadgetpack.net/

• Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Possible to choose that way, but I'd feel like I was back in 1992.  8^)
  • Dewey WØYWW
    Dewey WØYWW Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Finally found URL for the slick dual clock (local + GMT) program that I use...
    http://www.alpinesoft.com/ashamclock.html

73, Dewey

• Steve G1XOW
    Steve G1XOW Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Michael, lets hope you never manage to brick your appliance then. When the nice shiny blackbox wont talk to your computer screen then what? box up and send to FRS?
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Here is a suggestion on how to set up what you would like to display on the LCD panel.  Update the "Radio Identification" box on the "Radio Setup" screen.  

This is also posted in the IDEA -- https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/front_panel_display_an_idea?topic-reply-list%5Bsett...

Some notes:  The items in the list are just suggestions, more could be added.  The Item titled "Supply Cable Resistance" was suggested by Steve Hicks.   See this post for details.  https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/how_do_the_fans_operate_in_the_flex_6000?topic-repl...

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
    SSDR / DAX / CAT/ 6700 -  V 1.10.16
    Win10

• Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited March 2017
    Thanks Dewey and Michael... I'll try them both. I also found another tool with a variety of clocks called Rainmeter. I just installed the NewsRoomClocks to try.

• Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Nice! Looks almost like a photograph of a clot.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.