Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

What is best CW keying with CAT, OTRSP or Winkeyer in latest Smart SDR CAT?

Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP
Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP Member ✭✭
edited November 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I am trying to use DX Log with 6700 and Maestro and CW. Since new CAT software offers all options for CW keying what is easiest to set up with a contest logger? DXLog offers all alternatives for CW keying but still I have not been able to make it key the radio over Smart SDR. With N1MM many use CAT keying with DTR and RTS eventhough it is done over ethernet and not any RS-232 port. I do it as well. But how is CAT keying really done technically when doing it over ethernet to logger? For SO2R OTRSP should be preferable CW keying method or? Looking forward to a "Nobel prize" awarding explanation of present CW keying. The field of CW PC keying seems to be more demanding or challangening than many other topics of ham radio :) 73 from Stockholm - capital of Nobel Prize ceremonies! Kari SM0HRP

Answers

• Andrew Holman2
    Andrew Holman2 Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Does any of the software support WinKeyer? I use N3FJP, setup a WinKeyer port on CAT and point N3FJP to the WinKeyer port on CAT. Works pretty good for me. Might be something to look into. My setup is pretty basic, but maybe this will point you in the right direction.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I prefer to use WinKeyer. I use N1MM+. To be honest with today's fast PCs it won't make a lick of difference whether you use a serial port of WinKeyer. 

For casual CW operating where I'm not using a paddle or straight key I use CWX.
  • Ross - K9COX
    Ross - K9COX Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    "The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind" - Bob Dylan
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    SmartSDR's inbuilt Winkeyer works with HamRadioDeluxe DM780 and an iambic paddle in parallel.
  • Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP
    edited November 2016
    Hi Ria, Do you use SDR (or is it in HW?) internal Winkeyer or a external?
  • Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP
    edited November 2016
    Hi Andrew  - How do you configure the SDR Winkeyer port? DTR and RTS settings? I tried this but can not get it to work...:( 
  • Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP
    edited November 2016
    Ok fine. What settings do you use for Winkeyer COM Port? 
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I just create a Winkyer COM port in SmartSDR CAT, in this case COM 21 and set up
    DM780 Winkeyer likewise:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.