Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

What is an "interlock"?

DrTeeth
DrTeeth Member ✭✭
edited December 2018 in SmartSDR for Windows
As per the title please.

They are mentioned as being saved in the new profiles so I figure the time has come to find out what they are and what, if anything, they do.

TIA.

Answers

• VK7WH Winston
    VK7WH Winston Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    In hardware an interlock is usually a safety mechanism to prevent an unauthorised operation to occur, such as removing the high tension from a transmitter if the case is removed. I guess that in the Flex world it would mean a mechanism in hardware or software that would do the same thing, such as preventing out of band transmissions, for example. Hope this helps. Winston
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Hi Winston,

That nicely hits the nail on the head for the moment.

Thank you.
  • VK7WH Winston
    VK7WH Winston Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    You're welcome. As an aside, Guy, the very early interlocks were usually mechinal "Locks" as such, operated by levers, rods or cams. Then came micro switches and logic gates right through to sophisticated microprocessor control logic current used today. My early experience with mechanical interlocks goes back to high power Broadcast and TV Transmitters of the 1950s and 1960s! Can't wait for 1.6! 73 de Winston.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Winston, thanks for the extra information. It is always welcome.

Wayyy OT:- Those older transmitters that you mention have so much more character than the modern ones. Just like the way a Lancaster Bomber has when compared to a modern fly-by-wire aircraft. I live within easy visiting distance of the RAF museum (http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/) and less easy from http://www.iwm.org.uk/visits/iwm-duxford;and just touching one of those latter day 'craft is emotive.

Sri Tim.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Hi Guy,
    These snapshots are from the V1.5 manual but outline the interlocks supported on the Flex radios for controlling an external amplifier.  I use TX1 to control my amp (i.e enable or disable it).  Some amps take a little while to respond to RF and there are delays available also.  In V1.6 the profiles have been expanded to support the drive levels by band which is another good feature for amplifier support. 

There is more in the manual....

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
    6700 - HW......... V 1.5.1.70
    SSDR / DAX...... V 1.5.1.152
    CAT................... V 1.5.1.0
    Win10

• Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Guy,
       In some antenna relay situations ( especially VHF/UHF) it is desireable to switch an externall preamp out of circuit before RF is generated by the TX.  The safest way to do that is to 'inhibit' the TX  until the exteranl relays are all fully switched.

AL, K0VM
  • VK7WH Winston
    VK7WH Winston Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Guy, I share your passion for early technology, especially Wold War II Aircraft and and Radio Equipment. I've visited Duxford twice where my eyes first clamped on to the magnificent SR71 Blackbird. Also if you ever go to Dayton, make sure you allow a day or three to visit the U.S. Airforce Museum . Truly amazing. Back to topic!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.