What daily logger do you use?

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
So HRD log book is not working again. This time they want me to tweak the registry to try and get it working, I will not.  So I am thinking of switching to AC log for my daily logbook. For contest I really enjoy N1MM+ I am wondering what works well for most of us with our F6000's for general logging?

Thanks,   Dan 
Photo of KM6CQ - Dan

KM6CQ - Dan

• 173 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Steve Jones

Steve Jones

• 104 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
I moved from logger 32 to dx suite recently due to its better integration with flex 6000 radios using the api rather than cat. Bit of a learning curve but very powerful and gives me things like second slice freq and swapping or equalising slice a and b which ssdr itself does not do. Have got eqsl and club log and lotw uploads and integration all working and i just import my n1mmplus adif after every contest. Support from the author is excellent and he owns a 6500 too. Its free as well!
Steve gw0gei / gw9j
Photo of Alex - DH2ID

Alex - DH2ID, Elmer

• 956 Posts
  • 177 Reply Likes
I'm sorry to hear your HRD Logbook is'nt working anymore. My HRD Logbook 6.3.0.466 works fine under Windows7 64bit HE and MiniDeluxe.
- Have you posted your problem here:
http://forums.hrdsoftwarellc.com/forum/hrd-6-x-peer-support-forums/hrd-6-2-logbook ?
- Can you give us your version and OS info?
I have never had any problems with HRD, yet... 73, Alex DH2ID
(Edited)
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3646 Posts
  • 1478 Reply Likes
There was a recent issue with HRD and the Access Database.

But it only require one small registry change to fix.
Photo of Alex - DH2ID

Alex - DH2ID, Elmer

• 956 Posts
  • 177 Reply Likes
Hello Howard and a happy new year!
The database issue came up with windows 10 updates and MySQL
(MariaDB) mostly. Because of these problems I kept my old access
database, which I never had problems with up to 30.000 QSO's
(And I can open it and change data with my MS Access)
73, Alex-DH2ID
(Edited)
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3646 Posts
  • 1478 Reply Likes
Actually it hit me in my W7/64 system had a Office 2010 update. As I said the fix was a minor registry change

Happy new year to you too.
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 645 Reply Likes
Alex, did I read that correctly, thirty thousand???
I wouldn't put 30,000 of anything into ms access. One system I designed at Monster.com had over 30 million rows in MySQL.

Thirty thousand qsos, I doubt I have 1/10th of that total.

I haven't seen that issue with hrdlog...which I'll miss as now I have to write a log program for Linux. I wonder what real photographers felt when Polaroid came out with instant pictures? Probably much as Burt reflects on.

That's requires a bit of explaining. Programatically, see a signal, look it up, create a log entry for it, spin the beam to its bearing, adjust power appropriately and beep when ready...or start with a spot entry.

Years back I was trying to explain ham radio to someone. Their retort, why not just send the guy an email or go to an AOL chat room. Shoot, I'm starting to sound like him now...huh?
(Edited)
Photo of Alex - DH2ID

Alex - DH2ID, Elmer

• 956 Posts
  • 177 Reply Likes
Walt, QSO's seem to accumulate here ;-) But I have separated them into several different logs, from home, from the club station, mm, m, p...
Now a really good log for linux would make my day, as the ThinkPad I take
on holidays runs on Linux Mint...
(Edited)
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 645 Reply Likes
I am actually glad you said that. Alex, would you give that some thought and articulate for me what constitutes a 'really good log'? What makes that, to me, a really daunting task is the breadth of what hrdlog is. So I really need to prioritize the features.

There is CQRLog, which is Linux but 1, I refuse to use a Pascal program and 2, I want it to work seamlessly with xpslib.
(Edited)
Photo of Mike McWhinnie/GM0DYU

Mike McWhinnie/GM0DYU

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I switched to Log4OM a couple of months ago  -  just to give it a try  -  working out OK thus far,  integrates with WSJT, FLDIGI,  HRDLog etc.,  will stick with it I think.
Photo of Alex - DH2ID

Alex - DH2ID, Elmer

• 956 Posts
  • 177 Reply Likes
Well, a really "good" log would be

-stable
-easy to use
-have hotkeys
-have all inputs on one page
-be configurable for shack or contest use
-have layouts for different users
-have a dx cluster interface
-have scaleable windows and fonts
-read out inputs and dx cluster optionally
-have a server interface to connect to digital modes
-have an interface for my KX3 and other QRP radios
-have export/import facilities for ADIF files
-and so on ;-)

My favourite log software for Windows is HRDLog, and Log4OM which have
a lot - but not all - of the functions of my short list.
(Edited)
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 645 Reply Likes
Alex, when I said 'for Linux', yes it is but its also quite cross platform. So, in that sense I'll be growing out the cross platform family; XPSLib, XPSSDR, XPSLog. The later two would require XPSLib.
Photo of KM6CQ - Dan

KM6CQ - Dan

• 173 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
Howard KY6LA, do you consider the registry fix safe? I fixed the problems before by following HRD's runtime access advice. This happens because I have office 2016 on my system. This time the fix did not work. I am very cautious about modifying the registry for HRD.
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3646 Posts
  • 1478 Reply Likes
In my case I only modified one key to change the default back to .mdb. Not a big deal
But then that computer is dedicated to the Flex and Office is rarely used. So I have not tested Office to see if the change did anything.

Just remember to backup your registry before trying the fix. So you can undo the change if needs be.
Bu
Photo of KF4HR

KF4HR

• 613 Posts
  • 188 Reply Likes
CommCat.  Works fine.
Photo of EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

• 1770 Posts
  • 542 Reply Likes
I moved from HRD Free Version to Log4OM. I would love for Log4OM to use the API instead of relying on OmniRig and CAT. However, I really like Lg4OM's integration with online loggers. (QRZ, HRDLog, Clublog, etc...)

I still find the HRD Logbook program GUI my favorite, maybe I just got used to it. I tried DX Lab Suite several times... still have it installed.... but I just don't get along with the logger. Very counter intuitive for me. I keep trying it from time to time because of the positive reviews it receives all the time....

My favorite hypothetical logger would be Log4OM with the HRD Logbook Add QSO log window, which in my opinion is the best one out there.

This is why I like HRD Add QSO window so much:

In one single window, which I can move around and change in size I can get a lot of information.
From the TOP, it will automatically record FREQ, BAND and MODE. I can easily modify those on the spot by unselecting TRACK.

Once I put a callsign it fills out all the fields AUTOMATICALLY  from QRZ.com (I have an XML account with QRZ). I don't have to click on anything (I have to click lookup on DXKeeper). If I get the call wrong I can retype it and then click on the QRZ button and it will ask me if I want to rewrite the fields. The little icon on the left allows me to quickly see if I had a previous QSO with that OM. I can tell Paco (from the image above) during our QSO, that we had previous contacts on other bands. Very easy to see.

I have heading info SP /LP and distance. Right away I know where I need to point the beam. If you connect HRD Rotator you can click there and it will move your antenna. In my EA QTH I use EA4TX Rotor controller and it works great.

In Log4OM the Heading info is on the Extended Info tab which then hides the QSO Info tab.

You can get heading info and Cluster info on the same window with Log4OM if you click SHOW it on the bottom right side of the screen. 

I can add a spot right away. Log4OM allows you to do this too, but once you log the contact you cannot easily send a spot. The faster way is to type the callsign again, click the green circle, then discard the QSO. Odd.

The Send Spot of HRD is very straight forward.

On HRD the Record Audio is a click away, it will automatically create an mp3 file with Date, Time, DX Callsign and Frequency. The Audio Rec. blue hyperlink takes you to the Recording.

Keeping track of your current QSOs is easy, you can display ALL, Partial or Exact.

DX Keeper is a nightmare for me (I know there is a lot of love for this logger but I just can get my head around the GIU)

Look at the QSO Entry Window.... you actually need to have 2 windows open to get the same info you get on the other 2 loggers.

It pretty much takes a whole 1080p screen. I don't get a dialog to Send a SPOT. 
No heading info anywhere to be found.
I have to click Lookup to get the fields filled out. No map, no way of getting to their QRZ page with one click or open their website if they have one in their QRZ.com info. (Which Log4OM does)

By default it shows the past QSOs with the same DX, but I cannot see the last QSOs that I just had, (See ALL in HRD, or Recent QSO in Log4OM) I can't see Partial listing with similar call sign (Great feature of HRD which lets you see previous QSOs with stations' callsign that contain those same letters).
In HRD Logbook I can start typing "AB1" and it will list all the AB1 stations I have in my log.

And finally, where HRD Logbook blows all of them out of the water.

I can get a listing of QSOs in my logbook with station on the same Locator or Country just clicking the Icon next to it.

I can have several ADD QSO windows open without having to log any of them. I can have a voice qso and log a digital contact simultaneously. I can keep an ADD QSO window open with K5P while I try to work them and not log it until I click (F7) Add, and I can keep adding contacts on a different frequency.

I can click on a different database, in my case I keep one for 8P9EH and another for 8P/EA4GLI, and then log a contact with 8P/EA4GLI while I have the add window ready with a contact made by 8P9EH. This is very useful if you are working on a Club Station but also want to log a personal contact. Or if you are working both your local station and a remote station.
Photo of Mark - WS7M

Mark - WS7M

• 1184 Posts
  • 416 Reply Likes
I have HRD but I don't like how it works in some ways.  I think I have 100 qsos...  Not much time to operate these days.

What I want is a log based on MySQL personally.  I am finding since acquiring the flex radio that I am all over the place and not often at my main computer for a QSO.  So logging needs to be remotable.

I know HRD can do this but I too fear Access.  We have a product at work in Access that is ALWAYS a pain.  So I'm torn.  I have considered writing my own logging as I have pretty specific requirements like:  just logging, uploads to eqsl, LOTW but beyond that I don't really care.

So far I'm not really trying to WAS or DXCC but I should probably gather that data in case I suddenly get interested.

I'm not sure I want to put my log totally remote as what if can't get on the internet for whatever reason?  So anyway for me logging is somewhat unsettled.

N1MM seems to do exactly what is needed for contests and so using it makes sense.  It also seems to allow exporting so I could use it for the few contests I want to play in and then export and append to my real logbook as sometimes contacts in contests add things like new countries or whatever.

Anyway if people have great ideas that would be remotable and/or use something I would consider to be more stable like MySQL then I would be seriously interested too.
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 645 Reply Likes
Mark, so long as you log to lotw, it will handle WAS. And, of course, it does dxcc just fine.
(Edited)

• 1770 Posts
  • 542 Reply Likes
I keep my logbooks files locally in my Dropbox folder that gets uploaded to the cloud automatically. This allows me to use the same logbook anywhere.
(Edited)
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 645 Reply Likes
The problem with that Sal is if Dropbox gets hacked and/or is off the air for any length of time...so are you.

• 1770 Posts
  • 542 Reply Likes
The file resides in my local hard drive, it just gets uploaded to dropbox automatically. I haven't had hacking issues with Dropbox but the same could be said about my pc connected to the Internet.

Both hrd logbook and log4om allow you to define a second location for a backup of the logbook. The backup can happen at time intervals, at program close or at a number of qsos logged.

I use Dropbox extensively, in a lot of programs related to ham radio... It is invaluable for my radio shack operations. From manuals, to software, magazines, pictures, databases, recorded audios, videos, etc.

I love the fact that my pc in Spain gets all the files I put on the one in Barbados and I don't have to do anything.
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 645 Reply Likes
I am kind of really interested in n1mm, except it is VB and only works on Windows. The daunting part, for me, would be staying current on all the contest rules. While I doubt they change much, that's a big burden to stay on top of, especially for free.
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3646 Posts
  • 1478 Reply Likes
The rules change a lot all the time and add new contests as well
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 645 Reply Likes
As I've said in many posts, I may dabble in a contest for a few hours but not for 48 and not to the point of taking it seriously. But, given the age old adage, "there is no problem in computer science that cannot be solved by adding another level of indirection ", if rather that hard code the rules it could be table driven that would make it maybe tolerable. The double edged sword of charging for something is then you actually do have to support it.
Photo of Reggie-k6xr

Reggie-k6xr

• 413 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
DXLab suite on windows and MacLogger for Mac
Photo of Sergey, R5AU

Sergey, R5AU

• 855 Posts
  • 114 Reply Likes
A long time already with DXsuite(good enough for me):

Flex

Easy to understand

Modularity

Plenty of interfaces to the other apps

Log always in the Cloud - Microsoft One Drive

N1MM and FLdigi fully integrated via 3rd party apps

Supported extremely well

Just make a movie for our local Flex forum on cqham.ru may be will be interesting for somebody
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vnohuhl3yxv...
(Edited)

• 1770 Posts
  • 542 Reply Likes
Sergey, 
As a long time user of DX Labs, do you know of a way to achieve the features of HRD ́s "Add QSO window" in DX Lab DXKeeper? Maybe I just do not know how to configure it.
Thanks.
(Edited)
Photo of Sergey, R5AU

Sergey, R5AU

• 855 Posts
  • 114 Reply Likes
Salvador,
if i understand correctly you question:
you do not need to do some thing special - just press NEW button in the main window of the DXkeeper to fill appropriate fields
BTW you can do the same into the Capture windows and not necessary to keep open DXkeeper main window but just capture one.
(Edited)

• 1770 Posts
  • 542 Reply Likes
Well... what I meant is how do I get to replicate what I can do with HRD Logbook. Having several logbooks for different callsigns, several new QSO opened, list of Recent QSOs, Similar callsigns, heading for the beam, etc... I just can't find those features.
Photo of Sergey, R5AU

Sergey, R5AU

• 855 Posts
  • 114 Reply Likes
Well, inside DXkeeper no such feature ( several new QSO opened) as far i know ,but this is not limiting me to have open several FLDigi or WSJT with access to the one log in the DXkeeper simultaneously , the  recent QSOs you can see always in the main window of the DXkeeper.
BTW you do not need several LogBooks for one call sign, different location easy to manage with one call sign, however, you can organize different workspaces for different calls.
You know impossible to compare everything in the short chart but good starting point is define own target properly. For my setup and station automation this is looks like quite good and easy to manage

• 1770 Posts
  • 542 Reply Likes
Thanks!
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3646 Posts
  • 1478 Reply Likes
I use both DXLans and HRD Logbook... as well as CommCAT

HRD itself is absolutely redundant and unnecessary with SmartSDR so I never use HRD itself..
In fact, I really wish you could just download HRDLogbook

I use the integrated Rotor Control in HRD Logbook alot.. via DDUTIL ....

DXLABS...because I started using it first - so I keep a duplicate database of everything in DXLabs and HRDLogbook... Like Sal I like the features and GUI of HRD Logbook are much more comprehensive and they are easier to use than DXLabs. 

DXLabs beats HRD Logbook in only one feature.. the ability to report changes in my LOTW progress to various awards (DXCC, DXCC Challenge, WPX, WAS, etc).  Yes HRD Has an Awards Tracker..but DXLABS reports the changes as well as the totals.  This feature of reporting changes is very important to me.. After a contest I might upload 1,000+ Q's to LOTW.  Every time I update LOTW, the totals change all over the place.. so its really great to see exactly what changed...

It's the 21st Century so I have stopped sending Hard Copy QSL Cards.  I no longer input the ones I receive into my logbook (Still get big envelops full from the Bureau)  - LOTW ONLY...i.e I have never claimed any awards credits for any QSO not LOTW under my KY6LA call sign...

Mobile  - I use CommCat - very convenient..and optimized for mobile use... then I integrate everything back via ADI files input into HRD Logbook and DXLabs.

BTW... I also have a Dropbox Logfile version in case I am mobile with a PC rather than my iPad.

Contesting... My favorite because I have used it forever is Writelog.  Our NX6T Contest Station uses Wintest mainly because it is very close to the old DOS CT program that everyone used forever until DOS ceased to exist.  

Been playing with N1MM+ and likely will try it for a couple of less important contests so I can get a handle on it....  But it will be a major uphill battle to get Dennis N6KI to let us change from Wintest as it took us several years to get him to abandon CT. 
(Edited)
Photo of KM6CQ - Dan

KM6CQ - Dan

• 173 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
Okay Howard so I changed one register key and HRD logbook is working again. It really is convenient with minideluxe. When I renewed my subscription last year I wrote HRD a email and sent it to two different people. I said I would be happy to pay for the sweet, and requested that they make DM780 and Logbook stand alone. They never acknowledged my email. So I probably won't renew if they are not stand alone apps by July. Thanks for your input.
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3646 Posts
  • 1478 Reply Likes
Dan
I plan to talk to them again at Dayton about splitting off HRD from Logbook.. I suspect that it is a lot of what they deem to be unnecessary work...

Glad to hear that the simple registry fix worked for you too...

The next time I hear the Whiner bitching about Flex software, I suggest they look up the bitching against W10 or HRD or any of the myriad of other software programs out there...It's software.. if's never going to be perfect for everyone...especially since something will change in the ecosystem that will invariably break something else....e.g. Office 2010 update broke HRD Logbook 

• 1770 Posts
  • 542 Reply Likes
I like HRD Logbook, but I don't find the $100 reasonable. For 4 reasons:
  1. There are viable FREE alternatives (even if I still like HRD Logbook)
  2. The last free version (5.xxx) of HRD had 90% of what the new version of HRD offers. I can't justify $100 for that extra 10% *The % are totally my own perception.
  3. Progress in SmartSDR requires a Logbook that keeps up, that means I will have to add another $50 to the $100 just to add the functionality if it is not added within a year of the purchase of HRD.
  4. As Dan mentioned, I don't need/want all the ancillary programs that come with HRD.