Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

What cable to use between 6500 and West Mountain Target Tunner

Joel Swapp KO6FL
edited February 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
New radio due to be delivered today.  Need help with connecting n6500 and Target Tunner for automatic operation.  What port do I connect to on radio?  Is there a premade cable available?  After cable is hooked up what programming is necessary?

I am a newbe here so please bear with me.

Joel  KO6FL

Answers

• Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Looks like this tuner operates based on the signal from the rig.  So, don't you just need to hit the "Tune" button on the radio for the tuner to read the frequency and drive the screwdriver antenna to the correct tuning?  Or were you looking for some other kind of data flow?
  • Joel Swapp KO6FL
    edited February 2020
    Like I say I have not received the radio yet. Am just anticipating setting it up. I have done a lot of reading and know less after finishing the reading. The rig will have to be cabled someway between the radio and the antenna controller. The controller needs to know the frequency to accomplish the antenna tuning. What cable do I need and what do I need to do set this up? Joel
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited June 2017
    The controller is RF sensing for band changes based on their product webpage.
  • Joel Swapp KO6FL
    edited June 2017
    Yes it operates via frequency sensing as well as it can tune to previous settings when the radio sends the controller a frequency via the cabeling that I am asking about Joel
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited June 2017
    That is done through a CAT connection.  You will need to use the USB cable feature to output frequency data to the controller.  This doc covers what is needed and how to configure the USB cable.  The controller will need to be configured to receive Kenwood CAT commands.

http://www.flexradio.com/downloads/usb-cable-interface-guide-pdf/

• Joel Swapp KO6FL
    edited June 2017
    Thanks Tim. The controller is already set for the Kenwood commands due to the fact that the 6500 is replacing a TS2000. Now I can move on. I am perfectly amazed by the response that I have received on this question. Never had such good response from any other manufacturer before. Joel

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.