Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

What are these vertical lines on my waterfall on 40 & 20 and spikes on pan adapter also

Answers

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Screen shot?
  • Stu Phillips - K6TU
    Stu Phillips - K6TU Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Got a picture?

Sight unseen, I'd guess you are seeing RFI of some form - likely from a switched mode power supply either in your house or one of your neighbors.

If you can, run the radio and computer from a battery, then chop the power at the main breaker to your house.  If the signals go away, pop each break, turn the main break back on and then one at a time, turn the other breakers back on.  When the signals reappear, go hunting for the culprit.

If its your neighbor, try and use a directional antenna to search it down.

Once you get the neighbor's house, try the polite approach of asking them if they are getting interference on their radio or TV as you have heard signals coming from their house - and they may be due to a faulty appliance that may fail or worse, catch fire.  Could you help them find it?

Don't volunteer to touch the neighbor's equipment... use the same process as suggested above to isolate where in their home its coming from.

If the neighbor isn't helpful, resort to the FCC.

Stu K6TU
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Tony Here is a link to my paper on how to build a quiet station https://www.dropbox.com/s/kffp92esffo3zy5/How to Build a Quiet Station V2.pdf. BTW. I agree with STU ...likely a wall wart or switching power supply
  • Tony Hateley
    Tony Hateley Member
    edited February 2015
    In the uk so no help from anyone here
  • Tony Hateley
    Tony Hateley Member
    edited February 2015
    imageimage
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Tony - agree with he others. It's RFI from other devices. Check out KY6LA's presentation, it's great. My tips are on my QRZ page. You can go absolutely mental cleaning up your home - trust me, I have. Sad thing is, then you're left with noise from your neighbors. At some point, you will have to accept some interference. Thing with the Flex Panadapters is that it's so easy to see things you might otherwise miss. On the plus side, you will get much better reception when you clean things up. Good luck, and good hunting.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.