Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

What are the requirements for a new IPAD to use with my 6300?

Dennis Terry W4SG
Dennis Terry W4SG Member ✭✭
I am considering selling my Maestro and buying an IPAD Pro to use for remote control of my Flex 6300.  What is the storage requirements for being able to run IOS SDR?  I do not want to overbuy.  Is the 32GB version adequate?  Is a smart Keyboard required? 
I am considering the 12" versus the 10" version.  This will allow me to eliminate another tablet and maybe a laptop.
Thanks for any guidance from the community.

Answers

• ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020

Apple Device Requirements
    SmartSDR for iOS will run on most Apple mobile devices such as an iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch. iOS 10.0 or greater is required. A more recent iPad (3, Air 1 or newer) or iPhone (6 or better) is strongly recommended for the optimal user experience. Proper operation is not guaranteed on Apple devices that are not recommended.

SmartSDR for iOS supports multitasking on the newer iPads so you can run SmartSDR for iOS in split mode parallel to your browser, email software or any other iOS app. It is also optimized for the new iPad Pro models.

Network Requirements
    To run SmartSDR for iOS on your home network, nothing else is needed but a regular WiFi connection that can access your FLEX-6000. Remote operation requires a VPN connection (VPN software and hardware not included)

Supported SDR Hardware

• FLEX-6700
    • FLEX-6600
    • FLEX-6600M
    • FLEX-6400
    • FLEX-6400M
    • FLEX-6500
    • FLEX-6300
    Specifications subject to change without notice. See the product description on the Apple App Store for the latest features and product requirements.
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I've exchanged email with Marcus (author of iOS SmartSDR) about this.  He said iPad memory has no bearing on to the operation of the App.  No need to over do it.  Architecture wise, he does recommend the iPad Air 2 or better though.
  • Dennis Terry W4SG
    edited June 2018
    Thanks Chris, I assume that any of the currently offered IPAD Pro or IPAD models meet the requirement for IPAD Air 2 or newer.  Not an Apple expert by any means. I said 32GB and it should have been 64GB.  I am leaning toward the 256GB version.  What is recommended/needed to do a VPN?
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    With version 2 of SmartLink  registered on the Radio  you do not need a separate VPN connection. 

If you get a IPAD Air this works very well at least for me on a Verizon Cellphone network and can use it ANYWHERE you have descent Cellphone coverage, Also works good on WiFi if you have a good WiFi connection. 

Your mileage may vary

73's 

Bret
    WX7Y

• ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    dont sweat the memory part if you have a relatively contemporary ipad it should work .. 
  • Dennis Terry W4SG
    edited June 2018
    The problem is, I do not have any IPAD and do not know much about Apple products and my wife is teasing me about going over to the dark side, or joining the cult as she puts it.  I am wondering if the WI-FI only version is all I need since I do not plan on sitting at Starbucks having a QSO. 

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    If you ever go to a motel and expect their WiFi to work, Don't,  I have NOT stayed anywhere that it worked reliably.  
    Bret
    WX7Y
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2018
    I picked up a new 2018 model iPad 128 GB with WiFi and cellular (unlocked) meaning it will work on any carrier’s LTE network. I received an LTE sim card from work on Verizon. (I can use the iPad for work and play). I was in Hawaii last month and used SmartSDR for IOS via cellular and SmartLink to operate my radio in NJ. Worked fine. One thing to keep in mimd, if you use the cellular option, watch your data usage if you are not on an unlimited plan. You can reduce bandwidth usage in SmartSDR for IOS if the connection is poor or if your plan is not unlimited by slowing sown or turning off the waterfall and reducing the reaolution and refresh rrate of the panadapter. There is a setting in SSDR for IOS for low bandwidth. For remote access to my shack PC and network (if I need to control stuff) I use TeamViewer and have a Web Switch Pro from Digital Loggers. PST Rotator allows me to bring up amweb page fro rotor control. 73 Dave wo2x
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    iPad memory that they quote when you’re buying is actually flash storage capacity, which doesn’t matter for app performance. However, all models in the same generation and screen size have the same amount of RAM which Apple doesn’t disclose. Tear downs have shown this RAM to be 2-4GB for recent models which is plenty. imagehttp://iossupportmatrix.com
  • Dennis Terry W4SG
    edited June 2018
    Thanks Dave, That answers a lot of my questions.  I also use Teamviewer to control the power for my remote station.  I have a Denkovi USB relay board and IOT power control unit that does power, remote on/off for the flex. Glad to hear that it is available on an IPAD.  Good comment on the bandwidth issue.  I do not do much traveling anymore since retirement so poor WI-FI in other facilities is not much of an issue but the extra for a cellular capability is probably worth it.  How does one get unlocked IPADs?  I am pretty locked into ATT with both houses and microcells but who knows in the future.  In your opinion is a IPAD Pro overkill?  73, Dennis W4SG
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited June 2018
    The iPad Pro has bigger screens and more processor power for graphics apps and multitasking. Most likely overkill the way you will use the iPad. I know Howard uses the iPad Pro and does a lot of remote operating with his. He can probably chime in on other benefits I am overlooking. 

The new 2018 iPad models have retina screen and can use the touch pen option.

I bought my iPad from BestBuy and is advertised as an unlocked version. Apple Store also sells the unlocked version. 

The good thing about an unlocked version is you are not locked into a contract. If you buy it from AT&T they may have it locked down so you have to use their sim card. 
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Picked up an ipad gen 6 to try the ios app still not sure how i set this up thugh might try later today. How do i get it to work when i boot my 6400m which usually i do as stand alone on my non internet network.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited June 2018
    Wayne, you will need the radio connected to your network. If that is a LAN without Internet then the iPad SmartSDR for IOS will see the radio if the iPad is also on that subnet.

To use the iPad away from home with the radio then you need to connect the radio to a network with Internet access, create a SmartLink account, register the radio for SmartLink operation, and last make sure your router is either set up for uPNP or open two ports in the router.

If you need further details please let me know. I am OK on arrl.net for direct email also.

Dave wo2x

• Mike_WB8CXO
    Mike_WB8CXO Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Get the best iPad you can. This doesn’t mean an iPad with a ton of memory but DO GET CELLULAR. 90% of the time I access my Flex radios using the iOS app via my iPhone or iPad. At home using WiFi but when on the road you can’t always rely on public WiFi so having Cellular gives you a secondary and most the time depending where you are a better connection. As mentioned by others use all the tricks to save bandwidth. Buy as much bandwidth you can. HAVE FUN! I do! I’ve had perfect hour long QSO’s from the mobile (beware of distracted driving) on the interstates traveling between cities which can’t be done on WiFi. The later iPads are thinner and slightly lighter than the older iPads. I have the big iPad Pro which is nice and will do a good job displaying multiple panadapters but if you like to travel light get any of the smaller iPads (SSDR iOS great on iPhone 6+). The software works great on all models (Welcome to the dark side LOL)! SmartSDR IOS is an awesome app that works very well and to me has been a huge value! Be great if there was a Flex user in your area that uses SSDR iOS that could help! Good luck and HAVE FUN!
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Thanks the radio is on wired lan to router and router also provides both 5g and 2g wireless so I should be good to go using it around the house. I got the app installed looks good will try later today. Thanks again also looking at app studio 6 to put something together for android.
  • Dennis Terry W4SG
    edited June 2018
    Thanks Mike, Good idea on the Cellular comment.  Retired and not doing a lot of traveling but you never know.  Is the Smart Keyboard a requirement?  What do you use for a Mic and headset?  I will check around at the next club meeting to see if anyone is using IOS for SmartSDR.  A good friend is using a i7 Surface Pro and speaks very highly of it.  But they are very expensive and I already have a very nice i7 Laptop for a lot of what I do. 73, W4SG

• David Decoons, wo2x
    edited June 2018
    I do not have a keyboard for the iPad. Never had a need.

I use the RadioSport Traveler RS-55SL headset. It has a TRRS connector on the end which fits new modern laptops which now have a combined headset/mic connector and plugs into the TRRS to Lightning adapter into the iPad. It is light and works well with default IOS profile in SmartSDR for IOS.

Dave wo2x

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    You don't need a keyboard BUT the Bluetooth PowerMate is a great addition to the IOS APP for your tuning control knob. 
    For a head set, Any good quality Blue tooth head set should work fine, I use the BLUE Parrot here for all my Blue tooth head set solutions. 

73's
    Bret
    WX7Y

• Mike_WB8CXO
    Mike_WB8CXO Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Everything you need is available in the AP... As Dave said, keyboard is not needed... And Dave’s comments on headset use are gospel... You can use the mic that’s built into the pad with some treaking required... Other users have used the iPad earbuds with inline mic with good results. RadioSport makes quality products and the owner is a Flex owner who uses his Flex remotely extensively using iOS devices and Maestro so his accessories will work no ptoblem. Per Dave’s recommendation I too will be looking into the RS Traveller.... Consider Cellular as you don’t want to be left out in the cold wanting to use your radio remotely when WiFi fails you...
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    I traded my Samsung tab for an Ipad 6G and picked up a thinkwrite headset on amazon which is wired both work great with the Smartsdr for ios app.
  • Dennis Terry W4SG
    edited June 2018
    I just picked up an Radiosports RS55SL headset and mic from Dave at Arlan Communications.  Fits well and seems to work on my Laptop,  Now to see about an IPAD.
  • W7KHZ
    W7KHZ Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Bad news. The iPAD 3 is not compatible. It will not take iOS 10. It can only follow up to iOS 9.35. Obviously very disappointed after reading the post, buying the SDR app on my iPhone and then finding out that the real target machine, my iPad 3 does not work.
  • Oksana Sudarkina
    edited July 2019
    I recently got an iPad Pro. I haven't tried to set it yet. It has enough memory and should be able to run it perfectly. Of course, I got the information that this has nothing to do with memory of iPad models. But what I worry about is how to use it normally outside my home. Do I need portable wifi?
  • Dennis Terry W4SG
    edited January 2019
    Unless your IPAD has a cellular capability you will need a way to talk to the world when out of WI-FI range.  Perhaps using your cell phone as a WI-FI Hotspot if your data plan allows it. A hotspot will allow your IPAD to connect via WI-FI to your phone which connects to the cell network. Rather than add an additional device to your data plan, most people do the hotspot thing for casual usage.  Good Luck an good hamming.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.