Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Wemo link for remote powerup/down device

Need Link for Wemo Device that will work with my 6700 for powerup down using internet

Answers

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020
    I use two WeMo Makers. One for the remote power on port of radio and one for turning on the Acom 2000a amp. I also use a WeMo mini plug to turn the radio power supply on & off. There are also Internet controllable relays readily available. The WeMo devices are available on Amazon. Dave wo2x
  • James Madden
    James Madden Member
    edited May 2018
    This is from amazon is this what you are using? Belkin WeMo Maker Wireless Thanks
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited June 2020
    Yes. I like them easy to set up and the WeMo app works fine on both Android and iPhone. Dave wo2x
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    hi, Dave,,but what turns the radio on, without pressing the on button?
  • James Madden
    James Madden Member
    edited May 2018
    Thanks Dave. Might you have a diagram showing how they are connected? Jim
  • James Madden
    James Madden Member
    edited July 2017
    I believe there is an rca connector going to the radio that provides for this. P28 of the 6700 manual
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I see that,,but what does the other end connect to,,this is not explained very well unless I missed it
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited July 2017
    Sorry. Been BUSY with friends calling for help :-)
    The WeMo Maker has three connections for the relay out. Common, Normally Closed and Normally Open. I run a cable (2 wire) from the Common and Normally Open contacts to the Remote On RCA connector in back of radio. 

In the SmartSDR settings I enable Remote On. Now when the WeMo Maker is in the "On" condition the radio will turn on if there is 13.8 volts applied to the back. Turning the WeMo Maker to Off shuts down the radio. Pretty simple.

If the radio were to hang and get non-responsive (just in case...) I use the WeMo Mini Outlet to turn off the 13.8 volt switching supply feeding the radio.

I set up the WeMo Maker for latching relay operation instead of momentary.

In the WeMo app I named the WeMo Maker for the radio Flex 6500 and I took a picture of the radio and uploaded it to use as an icon.

Dave wo2x

• Steve - N4TTY
    Steve - N4TTY Member
    edited August 2017
    Wow, just checked on Amazon (for the WeMo Maker) and from Amazon it is not in stock and they don't know if or when it will be available, but they will sell you one from another supplier for $107.00 plus $33.52 shipping!  Now that sounds like a rip off!
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    .... or TP-Link HS100
  • Steve - N4TTY
    Steve - N4TTY Member
    edited August 2017
    Don't think the TP-Link HS100 has the "relay" ability to remote switch the Flex on/off.

It will turn a 12v power supply on and off just as the WeMo Mini will.

Am I wrong?
  • Steve - N4TTY
    Steve - N4TTY Member
    edited July 2017
    Dave, what did you have to pay for your WeMo Maker when you purchased it?

I also don't see the Maker listed on the WeMo web site.  Has it been discontinued?
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Sorry - YES your wrong

100 - 230 VAC
    16A
    3680W
  • Steve - N4TTY
    Steve - N4TTY Member
    edited July 2017
    Chris, thanks for the quick response, but help me understand how the TP-Link HS100 can be wired to the remote power RCA jack on the back of the FlexRadio.

Yes the HS100 should be able to handle the power requirements of a 12v supply needed to power the Flex, but I didn't see any relay contacts to actuate the remote power feature of the radio.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited July 2017
    I bought two well over a year ago. I think they were $50 each from Best Buy (brick and mortar store here)

I just took a quick look online and cannot find any for sale. With that in mind.... Here's an option. Denkovi makes some Ethernet, WiFi, or USB controlled relay boards. They have apps for both Android and Apple to control the relays. I have not used any of the Denkovi products but I do have a USB 8 relay board I never wired up.

Dave wo2x
  • Chuck - W9WLX
    Chuck - W9WLX Member
    edited June 2020
    Any more information about purchasing a WeMo Maker?  They seem to be out of stock and links to the Belkin site give a 404 error.  While the Belkin site has support information, there seems to be no info about current availability.  I'm questioning if the product is now discontinued.

Chuck, W9WLX  
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited July 2017
    Actually price was higher. Think they were around $75 each.

For those that have a Micro Center nearby, check your local Micro Center online for stock. They will not ship, only local store pickup. My Micro Center here in northern NJ is out of stock but Philly, PA has two in stock. So it will be hit or miss.

I may switch over to the Denkovi board and sell my WeMo Makers.

Dave wo2x
  • Steve - N4TTY
    Steve - N4TTY Member
    edited August 2017
    Also, on page 28, section 7.12 of the hardware manual it states "Refer to the SmartSDR documentation for information on how to configure this input."  But what exactly does this refer to?  In the SmartSDR Software Users Guide v2.0.17 I haven't found any reference to configuring this input.  So what SmartSDR documentation are they referencing?
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited July 2017
    Hi Chuck,

I just posted elsewhere in this thread. If you have a Micro Center nearby, check their stock online. http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.aspx?Ntt=wemo+maker

Make sure you choose your local Micro Center (along the top of the page). Or if you know someone who lives near a Micro Center that has stock you can always ask them to grab it for you. PayPay Friends and Family payment to send money to your friend would work :-)

Dave wo2x
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited July 2017
    Start SmartSDR. Go to Settings. In the main tab enable Remote On.

Dave wo2x

• Steve - N4TTY
    Steve - N4TTY Member
    edited July 2017
    Gotcha!  Thanks!  If that was in the "documentation" I missed it, but the latest edition is over 200 pages.  And now with the picture I think I remember seeing that on the Radio Setup window, just haven't found it in the documentation anywhere.

And by the way I like your "nickname" for your radio!
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited July 2017
    :-)
  • Steve - N4TTY
    Steve - N4TTY Member
    edited July 2017
    I'm going to look into the Denkovi products, but just found out my local MicroCenter has 2 (according to web page) available at $79.99.
  • Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Global cache itach ip2cc is another option, it has 3 contact relays on it. Simple home app works well with it.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I originally used 3 WEMO for remote control but I found them to bea bit Flaky. So I have now replaced them with 2 x 8 port digital Logger web Switches Why? Because I found that i needed far more than 3 ports to control my station and do remote reboots Plus they have an Internet keep alive which will reboot modems and routers if the internet fails https://dlidirect.com/products/web-power-switch-7 imageimage
  • spopiela
    spopiela Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Just what I have been looking for!   My biggest problem is when the router dies after a power glitch or extended power failure and I can't get in remotely over WAN to reset it. I suffered for days recently waIting to get home to reset the router after a power failure at home!! The router was dead. This will help with the auto ping functionality. Too bad that they are out of stock.
     I use NEO swithches that can be purchesed online for turning on power supply and radio. I agree, even these switches can be flaky. Once set up, they never go down.
    https://www.amazon.com/Ankuoo-Smart-Plug-Wi-Fi-White/dp/B00NAX2GVU

• David Decoons, wo2x
    edited July 2017
    Luckily my WeMo Makers have been solid.
  • Varistor
    Varistor Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    You may want to consider getting a GSM/SMS switch for the times when the router, cable modem, DSL modem, etc. needs to be rebooted. I use one at my station as my internet connection is over 4G and about once a month needs a reboot.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I have gone thru a few internet outages when I was thousands of Miles and weeks away from home. The data logger solved many of these problems but I still installed a secondary path to my home network with the addition of a wireless hotspot.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Amazon. ca has them in stock Dave.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.