Well I must say I'm very disappointed with my maestro

• Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
I have a flex6500,I have just got a maestro but I'm have nothing but trouble connecting wirelessly,I'm in the uk and my service provider is ee,after speaking with them they say it is a problem with my device as all of my other devices work fine,maestro contents ok but after 5 mins the signal drops to a level were the maestro no longer works,all my other devices carry on working fine,any help please before I sell it.
Photo of Tony Hateley

Tony Hateley

• 302 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Phil m0vse

Phil m0vse

• 208 Posts
  • 38 Reply Likes
If you say that your service provider is EE, I assume that means you are using the router provided by them and it is providing your WiFi? If so that is most likely your problem. There are numerous threads on this and Maestro does seem quite 'picky' about what access points it will connect to. I use an Apple Airport Express and have zero problems. The only solution that is likely to work IMHO is to install a separate access point. If you search the forum, there are a number of suggested models.
Photo of Burch - K4QXX

Burch - K4QXX

• 518 Posts
  • 122 Reply Likes
I had to install a separate wireless access point to get my Maestro working.  I have a 1 year old, fairly expensive Asus AC router that works great with all my other wifi devices but doesn't work with the Maestro.  I had an old Netgear router that I setup as a wireless access point and my Maestro works great with the Netgear.  I have changed all the suggested settings on the Asus router but it still doesn't work with the Maestro. 
Photo of Burch - K4QXX

Burch - K4QXX

• 518 Posts
  • 122 Reply Likes
I will add that I only use 5Ghz on my router and the Maestro does not like 5GHZ on my Asus.  Doesn't matter if I use 40 or 80mhz width channels.  Doesn't matter what 5Ghz channel I use.  But it works great on my old Netgear 5Ghz router.  The Maestro just seems to be picky when it comes to certain wifi routers. 
Photo of ka7gzr

ka7gzr

• 218 Posts
  • 36 Reply Likes

Tony,

I had the same issues with my 2.4 GHz channels. I went to the 5GHz band and no more problems. In my case I have many items utilizing the 2.4 GHz band so it wasn't surprising.

Jim.

Photo of Phil m0vse

Phil m0vse

• 208 Posts
  • 38 Reply Likes
Good point! Tony, which EE router do you have? If it's the Bright Box 1 then that is 2.4GHz only. The Bright Box 2 supports both 2.4GHz and 5GHz so you might be able to get a cheap (free?) upgrade...
Photo of KC9NRN

KC9NRN

• 324 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes

Rental WiFi Modem/NAT, even the supposed "fastest in home wifi" from Comcast are never what they are advertised as, they're cheap junk they get the user to pay 20 times over until the next pile of junk comes out they'll get you to rent.

I agree with the others, in fact go one more step, if possible turn the wireless off on that rented junk and buy a good wireless router (router term being used loosely since it really isn't one). I use the Netgear Nighthawk R7000 which is working great and is affordable.

You can put the Maestro on the 5GHz band, hopefully your house isn't too big so it works everywhere.

Photo of Phil m0vse

Phil m0vse

• 208 Posts
  • 38 Reply Likes
Another thing to bear in mind is that the 'brain' of the Maestro is basically (according to the review in this months RADCOM) a Dell Venue 8 Pro tablet running Windows 10. So I would have said that FRS are at the mercy of Dell, Microsoft and the WiFi chipset manufacturer when it comes to attempting to resolve any WiFi issues.

A quick Google of "Dell Venue 8 Pro Wifi problem" results in 4,630,000 results so I guess there have been a few others with WiFi problems on this tablet. Add the fact that true realtime streaming is a must for Maestro and it is no surprise that marginal WiFi setups are causing a problem.
Photo of Burch - K4QXX

Burch - K4QXX

• 518 Posts
  • 122 Reply Likes
This is VERY interesting.  I have two Dell Venue tablets (8 pro and the 11 pro).  Both the tablets have run Smart SDR just fine in the past with no audio drops or excessive packet drops using my Asus router.  My Maestro is unusable with the ASUS router.  However, I have had issues in the past with the 11 Pro's wifi connection so maybe it uses a similar chipset as the Maestro?  I haven't run SSDR on either tablet in some time so I will try again and see how it runs.
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9186 Posts
  • 3541 Reply Likes
Tony - I hate to hear you are having wifi connection issues.  Unfortunately streaming data over wifi is not like any other application you are using because they all buffer data and SmartSDR does not. Because very few apps stream data, most wifi routers are not engineered for isochronous data transfers except for certain ones that are geared towards gaming.  As several community members have suggested, the wifi router provided by your ISP may not be up to the task and a different one may be required.

There are several HelpDesk articles that describe some of the network engineering challenges with wifi networks and some troubleshooting steps and recommendations.  I'll list them below.  In addition, the real-world results and info provided by users on the Community can result is a wealth of good practical and pragmatic information too for resolving wifi performance issues.

WiFi Requirements and Performance with Maestro

Reasons for Wireless Network Performance Problems

Understanding and Troubleshooting WiFi Performance using iperf
Photo of Burch - K4QXX

Burch - K4QXX

• 518 Posts
  • 122 Reply Likes
I am just wondering if certain wifi chipsets don't like certain routers.  My Asus router is geared towards gaming.  In the settings, it has a setting for "optimize for Xbox".  I have tried this setting on/off but unfortunately it doesn't have any affect on my Maestro.  My Maestro just will not work on this router. 

Someone mentioned to try some 3rd party firmware on my Asus which I have installed.  As soon as I get my Maestro back from Flex, I will try it and see if the new firmware had any affect.

Burch
Photo of Tony Hateley

Tony Hateley

• 302 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes
I did not buy this to have more and more problems,it's for sale if anyone is interested
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3787 Posts
  • 913 Reply Likes
Most people do not have these problems. You just simply will not set it up correctly. But it will sell in a heart beat, that's good.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.