Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Weird frequency drift 6700

Burch - K4QXX
Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
I tried to do work some digital modes today and the PSK signals looked all crooked.  The signals shift up and down frequency.  It also does this on the SSDR panafall.  At first I thought it was some type of weird band conditions but it has done it all day on multiple bands.  I have tried different computers and have done a factory reset but I still have the problem.  Any ideas?
imageimage

Comments

• Paul W5PF
    Paul W5PF Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    I had a similar problem with my 6500 a couple years ago. It was a stability problem with an oscillator which required a trip back to Austin to fix. 

73, Paul W5PF
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Have you tried a frequency calibration run? Might give it a kick in the right direction. Do you have an external reference (10 MHz)? Is it doing okay, and was it on and stable before starting the Flex?
  • Burch - K4QXX
    Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I don't have a external reference.  This just started happening the last couple of times I have used the radio. 
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Time to call Flex.
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Yep!  I had the same problem with my 6700 a couple of months ago.  FRS troubleshot the problem and it turned out to be the Reference Oscillator.  I ended up having to send my 6700 in for repair.  It was repaired quickly and returned.  Excellent service.
  • Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Yep, time to call the Mother Ship!

• Burch - K4QXX
    Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    ****.  That isn't what I wanted to hear...  Thanks for the info.  I guess I will be calling Flex on Monday.
  • Burch - K4QXX
    Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    For those of you that had the problem, was it intermittent?  I've had the radio on decoding PSK this morning and so far no issues.
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I would try restarting the DaX task. If no diff, then a pwr cycle of the 6k, if no diff a factory reset.
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    @Burch - Might be useful to open a HelpDesk ticket today, so FRS has it for Monday.

Sorry you have troubles.  

On the good side, when my radios have gone to FRS the turn-around was nice.

Steve
    K9ZW
  • Paul W5PF
    Paul W5PF Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    In my case it was temperature related. It only occurred after transmitting for a few minutes.

Paul W5PF
  • Burch - K4QXX
    Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    At first I was thinking that too but I left the radio on all day on receive and it was still doing it when I shut it off last night.  So far today is hasn't done it.  I know it's done this at least one other time.  It was doing it yesterday before I transmitted.
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Good luck Burch -- did you try a full reset to factory defaults AND removing (as in disconnecting the power poles from the back) power for 5 minutes? That often clears a multitude of ills.

• Burch - K4QXX
    Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    I did do the factory reset and disconnected from power but not for 5 minutes.  Maybe 30 seconds to a minute.  Right now, the radio is working great and hasn't drifted all day.  I know this is the second time it has happened.   I had the radio on for over 12 hours yesterday and it drifted all day.  I've had the radio on for 5 hours today and no drift.  Weird.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited April 2017
    If it exhibits this behavior again, please open a HelpDesk ticket
  • Mark wt0e
    Mark wt0e Member
    edited July 2017
    Hi Burch,

After 17 months, my 6700 is having a very similar if not the same problem you describe.  Can you reply to let us know what, if anything, was the outcome?

Thanks!

Mark W9AT

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.