Waveforms

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
It's been well over a year since the last waveform release. Is this project dead?
Photo of Mark Erbaugh

Mark Erbaugh

• 409 Posts
  • 38 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9154 Posts
  • 3507 Reply Likes
Waveforms are an open source feature.  No one has taken the initiative to write more for the FLEX-6000.
Photo of KC2QMA_John

KC2QMA_John

• 638 Posts
  • 239 Reply Likes

Just so I understand are “Waveform’s” for new modes only? Or are they more like lets call it a “Flex Plug-In” where is can be any kind of add on that lives in the radio itself. So for example not only can someone create a new “Waveform” for a new mode like FreeDV but a “Waveform” can also be a new feature like adding a new noise reduction algorithm Plug-In, Station automation control within SmartSDR or even robust Digital modes Plug-In’s like PSK, RTTY and others or maybe a built in MCW app?

Do I understand this correctly?

Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9154 Posts
  • 3507 Reply Likes
This is the technical answer
https://github.com/n5ac/smartsdr-dsp
Photo of KC2QMA_John

KC2QMA_John

• 638 Posts
  • 239 Reply Likes

HOLY COW! So basically the 6000 is an HF rendering DSP monster and any app that will work within the limits of the hardware means almost anything is possible.

One thing that I don’t think many people realize is the potential for small start up software co’s to have a business Just writing app’s for the 6000 series. The cool thing about that is that as the more people that write apps for the 6000 the more powerful the radio gets and drives the flex platform forward. This is the one area where a ham radio operator can make money in ham radio writing code for a ham radio and not break any rules. ;)

So really in basic terms they are Software Plug-In’s or “FlexApp” Or “FlexPlug-In” “FPI” Oh yea "Waveform" ;)  

(Edited)
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9154 Posts
  • 3507 Reply Likes
There are a few limitations, but in general, yes, you can add a lot of functionality to the radio server using waveforms.
Photo of Gerald - K5SDR

Gerald - K5SDR, Employee

• 825 Posts
  • 1503 Reply Likes
John, you are absolutely correct. Let me add that there are several commercial and government entities that are using the Waveform API to do interesting things with our Commercial off the Shelf (COTS) radios. A system integrator used the API to do a shipboard AIS application that uses the 6700R currently circling the earth on the International Space Station. Another system integrator built a ionospheric sounder built on the 6500 that works with only 1 mW of transmit power. Others have integrated secure data communications modems.

We would love to see more hams who write software build cool applications that customers want. This has already happened on the Mac and iOS platforms.

Gerald
Photo of Stan - VA7NF

Stan - VA7NF

• 435 Posts
  • 100 Reply Likes
It has been several years since my last query in this area, and cannot find neither the query nor any response here or in my email.
The Waveform API was originally restricted in some of the processing possible, and my query was about porting WinLink 2000 / RMS / Pactor devices into a WaveForm.
As Steve was/is? on the WinLink advisory board I was expecting some development along these lines.
Status?
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9154 Posts
  • 3507 Reply Likes
The waveforms are an open API.  It was done this way to allow others to write waveforms for the radio.  FlexRadio has provided 2 waveforms as a guide for others on how it is done.  I am not aware of anyone taking up a project to write a WInLink waveform.
Photo of Gastonet

Gastonet

• 52 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Is DSTAR working again in SSDR 2.0?
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9154 Posts
  • 3507 Reply Likes
The D-Star fixes are slated for a future release of SmartSDR.