Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Waterfall

Bob G   W1GLV
Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
When creating a new panadapter, is it necessary to have a waterfall showing. I use it primarily in the digital modes, otherwise I don't need it. Is there a way of choosing wether a panadapter is present or not when creating a new panadapter?

Answers

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018

What is the purpose of creating a panadapter if you don't want it present?

• DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Bob would like the Panadapter without the waterfall.

Guy G4DWV/4X1LT
  • Steve N4LQ
    Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Maybe trying to save a little CPU power?
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    If you read the Documentation ---it is very easy to minimize the waterfall with just a click and drag of your mouse to make it go away.....

Just click on line between the Panadapter and Waterfall... drag it down and voila... the waterfall disappears....

I must admit that it would be easier to enable a default to start without the waterfall but the above method works fine..

OTOH.... I want the waterfall to be on all the time... really makes it so much easier to find weak DX stations....in ANY MODE... to look for the history of a signal...rather than trying to pick it out of a constantly changing Panadapter display
  • Steve N4LQ
    Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    FWIW: Dragging the waterfall to minimum doesn't change the cpu usage so I don't think it's being "turned off" however sliding the fps to zero cuts cup usage in half on my pc. this might help those with slow PCs. Of course the display becomes useless.
  • Robert -- N5IKD
    Robert -- N5IKD Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    I would like to see more waterfall for all modes. So persistence in the waterfall visibility will be a plus for both of us.

I find it very useful for finding and identifying all types of QSOs regardless of whether I see the signal at the moment it was transmitting.
  • Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I know howto get rid of it. My preference is it should be utilized until I want it. It should be a preferential option.
  • Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I agree with you Bob.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.