Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

warning to others

John
John Member ✭✭
I had a stange incident happen and would like to warn others about what happened afterwards. I was on 40m with 100w when my computer suddenly froze up ( never happened before ). I switched the flex off and rebooted the pc and upon rebooting switched the flex 3k on again. I then looked at the temperature panel and saw that the temp was showing 50 dec C.  My first reaction was to lower the 40 deg threshold to 39, which then activated the onboard fan and the temperature dropped to 37 deg.

I dont know if the computer freeze affected the transceiver to some deg and upon switching it back on again, the fan controller did not reset ? Everthing has tested out ok on transmit, so I hope this will warn other to keep an eye on the transceiver temperature if something similar happens.

Answers

• JDE
    JDE Member
    edited February 2017
    One possible scenario relating to temperature only could be that when the radio was turned off, the temperature of the heatsink(s) would rise because the fan had stopped. There was still a reserve of heat still available and hadn't sufficiently cooled down. If the heatsink(s) were larger, the rise in temperature might not have been as great. Since the available space is small in the radio, the use of a smaller fan-assisted heatsink was needed.
  • John
    John Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    A possibility, but why did the switch back on not activate the fan ? I had to manually drop the fan "kick in control" before it did kick in. Strange, but a lesson learnt
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    The Radio will report over temp on the panadaptor with red lettering if over temp happened. same with high SWR.,,and what lesson did you learn?
  • John
    John Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    'er red is live perhaps ?
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    It will flash on the screen it it reaches over temp, if you didn't see it then It likely did not go over
  • Marty VK2VCC
    Marty VK2VCC Member
    edited August 2017
    Where is the fan threshold setting on Flex 3000?
  • John
    John Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Its set at 40
  • Marty Gibson
    Marty Gibson Member
    edited February 2017
    so not user changeable?
  • John
    John Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I am using the KE9NS updated version of psdr and it can be changed in the setup menu.
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017

Can you repeat the fault?

What do your system logs show? 

What is your hardware and IEEE Firewire Card/Cable?

Flex-3000, but which version of PowerSDR and what operating system?

Was the Flex-3000 physically hot, or just your system reporting it at GUI output?

BTW the ability to include your information in future Searches by others would be massively improved with including basics in your Thread subject line.  Maybe something like "Flex-3000 with PowerSDR v X.X.X Lockup and High Temperature Problem Observed". 

Steve K9ZW

• John
    John Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I have not yet managed to repeat the fault. I am running Darrin's latest ver 2.0.8.12. The right hand front corner base plate of the flex transceiver was hot. I did notice that the psu current was 4 Amps. Running win 10 home with IEE 1394 firewire card.
  • Marty Gibson
    Marty Gibson Member
    edited February 2017
    so am i... is it in expert mode? last i briefly looked i couldnt see the change field.
  • John
    John Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    No its not in the expert mode, click on setup then on the window that opens ( general tab ) look down the middle to the bottom line, it should read "fan temp threshold"
  • Marty Gibson
    Marty Gibson Member
    edited February 2017
    thanks john...wow it must be staring me in the face! i wont be back in front of my radio until tomorrow. will check it out. cheers.
  • Marty Gibson
    Marty Gibson Member
    edited February 2017
    hhmmm. i think his thread reads fine. searching any of the keywords should find a related issue.
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    When I go to one of the search boxes and Search on PowerSDR this thread doesn't appear in the first three pages of threads.

It seems that Get Satisfactions search leans heavy on what is in the title.  It isn't the strongest feature in the platform.

Steve
    K9ZW

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.