Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

2.6 Windows 10 BlueScreen - fixed

2»

Comments

• Craig Williams
    Craig Williams Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Bit and installed v2.6 today. Followed instructions. One blue screen of death on first boot. Next boot no BSOD for 30 min. so far. DAX and CAT seem to be working fine with HRD and FRLogger.
  • Henning - DL6DH
    Henning - DL6DH Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Hi, the install on my Laptop went fine, no blue screens at all. I uninstalled the previous version before. Do you know the tool WhoCrashed? If you get your system up again and you enabled system dumps before, you will get more detailed information of the last blue screen. I would give it a try. 73 Henning
  • K5VPQ
    K5VPQ Member
    edited September 2019
    @David Vernier - Do you happen to have other audio software installed.  Such as Virtual Audio Cable?

@Flex Support folks:

I have seen the BSOD issue as well with portcls.sys.  An analysis of the memory dump gives us:

Debugging Details:  ------------------      BUGCHECK_CODE:  50    BUGCHECK_P1: ffffa38e89f12008    BUGCHECK_P2: 0    BUGCHECK_P3: fffff800805b3cb1    BUGCHECK_P4: 2    IMAGE_NAME:  portcls.sys    MODULE_NAME: portcls    PROCESS_NAME:  audiodg.exe    SYMBOL_NAME:  portcls!GetMaxMapRegisters+5    FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:  AV_R_INVALID_portcls!GetMaxMapRegisters    FAILURE_ID_HASH:  {349f0185-3933-3949-d141-0476525399d9}    Followup:     MachineOwner  ---------
    I have a feeling that it's a combination problem.  SmartDAX alone doesn't cause it.  SmartDAX along with other audio software that creates devices (such as VAC) causes Windows to run into some sort of limit.  Let's see where this goes.

Chris
    K5VPQ
  • Mark NS9N
    Mark NS9N Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Here is what I have seen. The DAX drivers in the registry have been corrupted by the Windows updates. Renaming them in the past have fixed the DAX issue but have left a lot of bad lines in the registry. The more times you have renamed the drives the more bad lines exits. If you are very savvy with a number of registry cleaning tools you can clean out the mess then the latest update runs without any issues. If you have not cleaned the registry up, and believe me this should not be done by anyone that is not 100% knowing what they are doing., then the latest update makes the necessary changes to clean up the mess. But this causes Windows to go into recovery mode at each reboot until all the critical bad lines are cleaned up. Yes scary when it is happening but what I can also see is now my computer now has a much cleaner registry. At this point, time will tell if the latest changes to the DAX drivers are immune to the future Microsoft updates. After all this is said and done, if you are still getting the DAX error make sure you don’t have a little red x at the bottom right of the computer screen over the speaker icon. If you do plug in another audio device to your computer like a headset and make sure the red x goes away. Then load SDR and the DAX driver error should go away. Getting much closer to having a stable system. But well worth all the effort to keep getting new SW features without changing my HW.
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Why didn't someone offer that great explanation earlier?
  • Mark NS9N
    Mark NS9N Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    I spend a lot of time troubleshooting computer SW issues. And I would have posted it earlier but work gets in the way.
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Is the Blue screen issue just being seen on Windows 10 OS?.
  • Mark NS9N
    Mark NS9N Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    All my computers are Windows 10 so someone else will need to comment.
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited September 2019
    Hi Pat

Yes, there are some users who have seen a driver issue causing a Blue Screen.  If you are having this issue still, please open a support case.  

This problem does not affect all users, just a small percentage.   We did mention it in the release notes (that no one reads, but you really should).

Mike
  • Craig Williams
    Craig Williams Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    I am an old IT Consultant from back when there was no IT. I always read and follow the instructions. Still got a BSOD after the install and another one this AM on boot up. Everything recovered fine. 
  • Mark NS9N
    Mark NS9N Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    I am just curious are you getting the real blue screen of death or does the computer go to the blue recovery screen?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.