Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

the difference between DIV, A and A DIV

Options
Doug - W5WTX
Doug - W5WTX Member ✭✭
edited December 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
In diversity receive, what changes or what is the difference between DIV, A and A DIV?  I can 't find discussion in the user manual.

Answers

• Steven WA8Y
    Steven WA8Y Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Why isn't A DIV called B DIV, since it is the secord slice?
  • RBolton
    RBolton Member ✭✭
    Options
    The thread referenced in this thread apparently no longer exists. I'm still not seeing any reference in the current manual to the differences and usage of the A and A DIV tabs that get created when DIV is enabled on slice A. Does someone have the details to share?
  • VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi... Diversity Reception is described in section 27 (page 96) of the SmartSDR Software User Guide -- at least in v. 3.1.7 that I have. If there has been a newer, subsequent version, it may be in another place, but the section should be there.

Does that help?

• RBolton
    RBolton Member ✭✭
    Options
    No. I can find no mention in the manual of the A DIV tab that's created when DIV is enabled.
  • VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 21
    Options

Can you take a screenshot and post it here? (just so I can see what you are referring to... )

When you initiate DIV, there are two slices created - A and B -- both of which are on the same frequency and 'locked' together. So if you change the frequency of one, the other stays with it. (Actually, on my 6700 running 3.7.3, the second slice is identified as 'H' :-) ) This is what they look like on my panadapter...

I'm not sure what you mean by a A DIV 'tab'???

• RBolton
    RBolton Member ✭✭
    Options
    This is what shows up on my 6660M front panel when I tap on the frequency and then enable DIV. It creates two tabs to the right of DIV: A and A DIV. The manual discusses the A tab but makes no mention of the A DIV tab and correspondingly the settings contained therein. Really doesn't say much about the settings in the A tab for that matter.
    I pasted a pic, but it just says uploaded and not showing in the preview so hope it can be seen.
  • RBolton
    RBolton Member ✭✭
    Options
    Trying to post pic again.
  • KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

If you e-mail me the pic, I will post it for you.

KD0RC@arrl.net

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Posting this pic For Ronnie, WU4G.

What does the A DIV tab show if you click it?

• RBolton
    RBolton Member ✭✭
    Options
    Exact same options. Only difference is the default setting for the L_______R. In the A tab it's all the way to L and in A DIV it's all the way to R. In the A tab, as I adjust the slider from L to R, audio decreases and is totally muted when it's at R. In the A DIV, adjusting the slider from R to L has no effect on audio that I can discern.
    Ron, WU4G
  • VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭
    Options

So this is essentially the same as mine which was snapped from SmartSDR running on a PC.

As I mentioned before, when you engage DIV, the software creates a 2nd slice receiver in your second Spectral Capture Unit (note for others -- this is only possible on a 6700 or 6600) using a different antenna. As described in the manual, it's best to have the second antenna differently polarized from the main one (e.g. a dipole and a vertical). So, in the second slice receiver, you'll notice it's also selected your ANT2 as the receiver input.

And you must use headphones to really hear the effect. One signal is routed to the left side of the headphones and the output from the 2nd slice is routed to the right. The concept is to audibly combine (using your ears) the two received signals and effectively phase out the noise, bringing the signal to the forefront.

• RBolton
    RBolton Member ✭✭
    Options
    Ah ha! As is the case many times, operator error!!! What a dumas. I had forgotten I had a splitter in the headphone chain behind the radio to feed audio to a second headset I used to use with a new ham that I was elmering. That converted everything to mono and I didn't realize that it was still that way! Last week I added a vertical antenna in my mix so I could utilize diversity for the first time, so had never tried it before now. I was beginning to think I had a hearing deficiency when I enabled it for the first time and as I explained above, wasn't hearing any difference between each ear. I know hear how the controls function and I'm able to figure out what they do. The manual should at least acknowledge the A DIV tab somewhere.
    Thanks everyone for the prompt and helpful replies!!!!
    Ron, WU4G
  • VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭
    Options

No worries, Ron. Really glad you got it to work!!

Yea, I agree that the manual needs to be updated with screenshots from the M-model panels as well as SmartSDR software, since there is a noticeable dfference in ergonomics...

Thanks for posting your solution!

• Eric-KE5DTO
    Eric-KE5DTO Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    Options

I added an issue to help describe the diversity feature in the Maestro/M model interface. Thanks for pointing out that this was missing.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.