W5KUB.com

• Idea
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • (Edited)
Flex Radio discussion tonight on W5KUB.com.  9pm EST.
Photo of KF4HR

KF4HR

• 778 Posts
  • 264 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P

• 4239 Posts
  • 1351 Reply Likes
Will it be recorded? I can't watch it right now, but want to.
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3755 Posts
  • 1617 Reply Likes
I dunno.. But its live streaming right now
Photo of Robbie - KI4TTZ

Robbie - KI4TTZ

• 484 Posts
  • 78 Reply Likes
He usually posts them on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/user/w5kub/videos
Photo of KF4HR

KF4HR

• 778 Posts
  • 264 Reply Likes
Gerald did a great job describing the Maestro and other products.  Tim was in the Chat Room answering questions.  Excellent Show guys.  Thanks. 

Butch 
Photo of Bill Roberts

Bill Roberts

• 226 Posts
  • 46 Reply Likes
It was enjoyable.  Sometime, I'd like to hear Gerald speak more on his life as a venture capitalist.
Photo of Jim W3IPO

Jim W3IPO

• 32 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Great interview of Gerald where he covers his business history on QSO Today at:

http://www.qsotoday.com/podcasts/k5sdr
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P

• 4239 Posts
  • 1351 Reply Likes
I was able to watch it after pausing it for an hour or so (my 8 year-old son was having bouts of gastric and digestive disruptions all night) Nice interview.  I was glad that he mentioned SoftEther and other VPN methods of WAN access as a work around until 2.0 with WAN is released.

It really was pretty simple to configure my ASUS router for VPN once I learned how to set my ATT UVerse modem/router into passthrough mode.  And SoftEther is also pretty simple if one will take a little time to read the manual or seek help from others, although it requires leaving a computer turned on.  (But if you want remote rotator control, or other peripherals to work, you will need it running anyway for the moment.

@Howard...I caught his reference to "one of our customers bragging that he was running around the Mediterranean remoting to a big tower  in San Diego."  <grin>   He could have referenced many others who are also having fun with simple VPN connections.

Ken - NM9P
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3755 Posts
  • 1617 Reply Likes
@Ken

It was fun working you from the banks of the Bosphoros in Istanbul Turkey (#27) ...

But it looks like adding more remoted from countries is getting much more difficult as I have done most of the obvious easy ones.  I am 12 Miles from Mexico so that could be #28 but Tijuana is really not exactly high on my want to visit list with equipment worth more than $10.  .

Perhaps this September when we are hiking the Dolomite's I can convince the XYL to detour to San Marino or the Vatican? 
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 645 Reply Likes
But Howard, you're making internet connections to your home, big whoop, you're contacting people from SD, CA. Again, big whoop. Why are you trying to make something into something its not? Then there is the ' where, in the world is' Howie, aspect of it.
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 4236 Posts
  • 1351 Reply Likes
That's what interests me and some others about this, working towards a "DXCC-by-remote-from 100 different locations"  just to say you did it.  It is a demonstration of the technical possibilities.  (getting adequate cell phone coverage from many remote places is still a difficult job.)  Sure, it would be a bigger accomplishment to actually haul equipment to 100 locations, but that has been done before.    This hasn't been......

I may begin a similar program of reverse WAS by remote.  just for fun.  I will take more pride in my soon to be finished 5BWAS and 5BDXCC.  But who says I can't work towards more than one goal at a time!  <grin>
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 645 Reply Likes
But its not Ken. It's dxcc from one location and "where in the world is ...". I would bet big money the ARRL won't see it as you and Howard do. But whatever.
(Edited)
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3755 Posts
  • 1617 Reply Likes
@Walt and @Ken

I obviously agree with Ken...

It's has been a real technical challenge to figure out how to connect from the various different countries and remote locations that I have been in via the Internet with a good enough connection to make a Q......try doing it from Hanoi or Chiang Mai or or Bali some times.. it was not easy....  A first tried it a few years ago on a Safari in South Africa.. could not get sufficient connection speeds to make a Q....which incentivized me to figure out better technology .....

Anyways.... I have already easily done reverse DXCC by schlepping radios (I still have the IC-706 portapack) and coax with me all over the world.. Real PIA to set up... especially in some countries with the local licensing guys looking for  "presents" ....took a long time (decades) but no real challenge there for me anymore..

PLUS.. Bragging Rights.. AFIK no one has ever Remoted from 100 countries via the USA... sort of like winning a San Diego Section 10M SSB DX Contest Assisted High Power --- if you find the right category you are always a winner...

Finally - Time are changing..
More and more hams are going remote all the time and more will when WAN is delivered...The ARRL has already changed the rules to allow Remoting via a base station in a country you have a license in to count towards DXCC - in my travels I collected 45 licenses (albeit most if not all have since long expired) --- so perhaps I should also activate one of those and work DX thru a friend's Remoted Flex in that country...

Either way... lots of technical challenges left to do....
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 645 Reply Likes
It may be difficult. That is 100% an infrastructure difficulty, not a proporgation difficulty. Howard, you miss my point. Bragging rights? C'mon. That you made an internet connection to your home. Bragging rights would be having a text session with some ham in VK over tunnelled 2mtrs, which I did in 87.

Now here is a challenge for you., remote into your home qth and work a ham standing next to you via ham radio. I believe that is what I proposed to do had we gone to the Dayton Flex banquet. Well, what I suggested was similar, I remote to CT and contact you via San Diego.
(Edited)
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3755 Posts
  • 1617 Reply Likes
Been there done those already.

In fact I regularly work DX Hams standing beside them in ther home QTH via Remoting To my station in California. Seems people are always fascinated as to how they would sound at the other end so it's a really good way to get invited into DX shacks and to share adult libations.
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 645 Reply Likes
I did offer, my friend.
Photo of W7NGA

W7NGA

• 446 Posts
  • 189 Reply Likes
I had super-fast internet in Hanoi this Summer. 
I had super-fast internet on the Vietnam/China border (in the mountains)
I had super-fast internet in Saigon
I had super-fast internet in Cambodia
I had super-fast internet in Bangkok, and two remote Thai islands
I had super-fast internet in Kuala Lumpur
I had super-fast internet in SIngapore
I had super-fast internet in Tokyo
I had internet at 38,000 feet over the Pacific

I believe my wife used FaceTime at every location to talk (view) with stateside family.

They all gave her 59 reports

We are happy and proud and available for interviews and autographs

Our world is connected, with or without ham radio

W7NGA  dan
San Juan Island, Wa.
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3755 Posts
  • 1617 Reply Likes
@DAN and WALT

I had really slow Internet at Dayton Hamvention
but then Dayton is the 3rd world

In 2012 when I remoted from Viet Nam it  was very slow but obviously it got much faster this year.
Photo of W7NGA

W7NGA

• 446 Posts
  • 189 Reply Likes
I'm just kidding you Howard ... and super-fast is a relative term.
Photo of Ken ve7kwa

Ken ve7kwa

• 103 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
I think it's great Howard !   Remoting is as much a part of ham radio today as SSB was when it first appeared. Sure it's internet based, but so what. So are DX Clusters and QRZ and a myriad of other tools that are deemed acceptable today. Carry on sir, you are breaking new ground. And... it's mildly entertaining.   ;-)