Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

VPN Routers for Remote

Has anyone successfully used two VPN routers for remote?
If so, what make and model? (cisco RV042, Linksys LRT224, or ?)
And what issues setting it up. Have FiOS one end (Ethernet connection), TWC the other.

Seems like a quick and simple solution for waiting for 2.0
With other potential network side benefits

Thanks

Ric KV1W

Answers

• Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Ric,

I assume you mean one router on each 'side' of the connection as opposed to a VPN client in the computer running Smartsdr?
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Many of us use two raspberry pis running softether. K6OZY has videos on how to set it up but I also have a script for quick setup. 
  • K1VL
    K1VL Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I have been able to successfully link two locations and to operate SmartSDR remotely. I have used two Netgear R7000's utilizing Advanced Tomato firmware and the built-in OpenVPN function to create an always on site to site VPN link between the two locations. The trick with OpenVPN is to use TAP mode (bridged) and not TUN mode (routed) otherwise SmartSDR will not function. The OpenVPN setup is easy and GUI based other than the creation of the certificate. The two locations share a common "Class B" /21 subnet. No issues for the past 18 months between sites. I can provide more details if you need them. 

Carmine W1EQX
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017

I have tried using the Linksys 1900 ACS but they use TUN mode and the Net I/P address is not in the same group. I am not sure why Linksys is always behind the 8-ball on VPN. So I have settled with Softether. Appreciate the other inputs, I find all of this information very helpful.

Jim, K6QE

• dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    I use my QNAP as a VPN server.. works well
  • Rick - W5FCX
    Rick - W5FCX Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I use two Windows desktops as SoftEther VPN bridges - similar to using two Raspberry Pi's.

Rick, W5FCX

• Ric KV1W
    Ric KV1W Member
    edited May 2020

Thanks all

Ria, I would like that script
    I have no problem putting things together, I just am trying to resist a months long added project.
    I am a hardware guy who hacks at software, so....
    but I could certainly buy a couple of R-Pi boxes
    Where do they fit in the architecture? Just plug into your Ethernet? And set some port forwarding?

Anyway, I am up for trying that to get the Maestro up and going remotely quick and easy

BTW, I do run multiple Windows systems, some remotely, and don't like their reliability!
    And then there is the Windows 10 propensity to update, ugh!

• Rick - W5FCX
    Rick - W5FCX Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Ric, I hope your Maestro works remote. It doesn't like latency so keep that in mind and not supported over a VPN. There are other threads about VPN latency and Maestro. My Maestro is unusable over the VPN, where latency over DSL ranges from 20 to 120 msecs. Hopefully your remote latency won't pose an issue. I believe there is a new protocol coming that's designed for WANs. Rick, W5FCX
  • Ric KV1W
    Ric KV1W Member
    edited January 2017

my ping time for the route shows about 42 ms, range 39-46

What do you think ?

• Rick - W5FCX
    Rick - W5FCX Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Not bad. Add a few ms for VPN tunnel ... may work out. I would monitor it over a period of time to be sure. I noticed mine is good in day and higher at night, probably due to streaming video after work... Good luck. Hope it works for you.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    If using raspberry pi, try adding an antenna on the client end. This is one I setup for someone with a 9dbi antenna. Requires some fine SMD soldering but it works like a champ. image
  • Ric KV1W
    Ric KV1W Member
    edited March 2017
    Thanks all for the inputs I will be putting together the SoftEther on Raspberry Pi 3s The bridge will also be useful for tying the two lications together for other uses So that is a plus And I will learn a lot Ric KV1W
  • ka7gzr
    ka7gzr Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    What did you have to solder?
  • Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017

"And then there is the Windows 10 propensity to update, ugh!"

https://www.grc.com/never10.htm

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    To answer your questions:

There is a space for a u.fl connector on the RPi 3 board. If you have steady hands, good eyesight and a fine tipped soldering iron, you can solder it on. Then attach a pigtail to terminate in a RP-SMA socket. From that you can then connect an external antenna. Parts available from Digi-key and Amazon. 

I posted the server script up here somewhere, but here it is again:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0HrAJwAk8BjUU5icnlIS1hxbzg

I haven't put up a script for the client (Maestro) end yet. But what you can do is run the server script on the client box to do the install, and then Ctrl-C when it prompts you for username/password etc.

Then you can set up a "cascade connection" to connect to the pi on the server end. You'll also have to set up a bridge to the wired ethernet interface on the pi. All of this is done from the SoftEther GUI. 

For wifi connections, you could hand edit files as K6OZY does in his videos, or you can do this which I found to be more handy:

https://planb.nicecupoftea.org/2016/03/20/wifi-connect-quick-wifi-access-point-to-tell-a-raspberry-p...

Basically this allows you to select your wifi on the go by connecting to the pi with a smartphone via wifi. Once you select the wifi SSID, it will then disconnect from the smartphone and connect to the wifi.

I've been meaning to script all of this but haven't gotten the time (the election was busy for me plus some personal challenges on my end). 

Reach out if you need help. :)

Ria
  • Ric KV1W
    Ric KV1W Member
    edited January 2017
    Many thanks Ria
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Well I'm redoing it anyway with something better and more automated. But this will work for now.
  • Ric KV1W
    Ric KV1W Member
    edited March 2017
    I went the siftethervpn on raspberry pi route Server with radio on time warner network in Maine Bridge with Meastro on verizon fios in Mass. All worked great for 3 days 24 hours per day Then it started to falter with long net work times 500+ that was normally 42 ms Then quite all together Seems to be Verizon related The networks connect, the ip tables are fine both ends I see the radio, connect, get the version choices then it hangs If I wait a long time, like 20 minutes I can get to the menus on Maestro but no network activity shows ips If I try SSDR on that sane network on the PC same behavior Go some funny security messages on verizon actiotech router Spent many hours on phone with verizon to no avail Anybody else see this or have ideas? All greatvully appreciated Ric kv1w
  • Ric KV1W
    Ric KV1W Member
    edited March 2017
    Btw I took out the actiontech router and put in a netgear r7000, same deal
  • Ric KV1W
    Ric KV1W Member
    edited March 2017
    Kv1w

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.