Any advice as far as a model, would be greatly appreciated.
73 de WV9L
I use two different model Asus routers, the RT-N66U and RT-AC3200 (radios at two different location). Both support OpenVPN.
Here's a quick tutorial on the setup.
1. Upgrade router to latest firmware
2. In the router setup click the WAN button on left and then click DDNS tab on top. CLick enable DDNS Client. Enter a hostname. Example - w1awhome. Click apply
3. On left click VPN. CLick OpenVPN. Enter a username, password and then click the + to the right of the password field. Click apply.
4. Click where it says General and select Advanced. Set the settings to match this screenshot and click apply
5. Go back to OpenDNS General page and click export. Save the file to your PC. Email it to yourself so you can receive it on your iPhone.
6. On the iPhone download and install OpenVPN Connect.
7. On the iPhone open the email with the file attached you exported. Double tap the file and choose OpenVPN Connect as the program to use to open it. Click the + to add that profile.
Here is a FAQ on setting up OpenVPN Connect on IOS. https://www.ivpn.net/setup/iphone-openvpn-connect.html
Now you can open the OpenVPN app enter your username and password you created in the router and select connect. Once connected you can open SmartSDR for IOS and it should see your radio.
I followed your instructions and now everything connects perfect via Wi-Fi or cellular. I did have to change the connection mode in SmartSDR iOS from discover to fixed and enter in the IP for the FLEX-6500.
Now back to reading on how to configure Log4OM, N1MM and Fldigi