Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

VPN in SmartSDR 2.0

John Cooper
John Cooper Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Will SmartSDR 2.0 still support VPN operation with or without SmartLink?  Can SmartLink turn the DC radio power on and off remotely?

I use OpenVPN for a VPN connection to my server giving me WAN access to my 6500.  This link is used for more than just the radio.  I have backup drives on this connection as well as bash script commands to turn the FlexRadio power on and off remotely. I'm not sure how SmartLink is going to fit into my scheme.

John / WB3AYG   

Answers

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    First of all, VPN operation isn't officially supported. It's just something that works.

As long as your VPN looks to the radio like it's on the LAN it will work. At least that's how it works for me. 
     Can SmartLink turn the DC radio power on and off remotely
    Not that I know of. 
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited June 2017
    The radio has to be powered on for a client to establish a SmartLink connection.

Using a VPN with SmartLink is redundant.  I can imagine a configuration that might work, but it is really convoluted.

And as Ria said, VPN is transparent to the radio.
  • Mike W8MM
    Mike W8MM Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Let me ask a possibly dumb question:

If I want to turn my antenna rotor from my remotely located Maestro as well as log contacts, how does that work with SmartLink?

Seems like I still need VPN to reach the rotor?
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Rotor is Easy. PSTrotatator has a web server program that gives you a web page for your.rotor I normally leav DDUTIL running on my PC at home to control my SteppIR albeit you can also do so if you direct connect the SteppIR to the Radio USB I also use DDUTIL to remote contra my SPE 2K-FA albeit again you can controlitfirectly from your radio USB Why DDUTIL because it allows much more control such as reverse SteppIR antenna and power control on Amp. Personally the Maestro is far to big and heavy and has too small a display to be useful in remote operations except when I need Contest ergonomics. SSDR for iOS on a 12" iPad is much easier, HAS DX Spots on Display and has integrated logging With V2. No need for VPN Curently sitting n my apartment in Paris Remoting via my station KY6LA in San Diego Just worked S57DX. Saw him on my ipad spot. Kicked on my Amp called and Qin the log. Easy.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Yes you still need VPN to do it. I would like to see integrated rotor control in the future. I hope Flex decides to pick up on it.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    You still need to log on to vpn to access the rotor, no?
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    No. I us the PSTRotator.exe web app. Port forward
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Ideal remote needs a web app to display and control Amp, Rotor SteppIR
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Plus need DIGITAL POWER METER SWR Or basically what DDUTIL Does in a Web App or browser window
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    So your rotor control is left open? Is it at least password protected?
  • Mike W8MM
    Mike W8MM Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Are you suggesting putting PSTrotatorAZ web server in DMZ?
  • John Cooper
    John Cooper Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    One last question.  I take it I can use SmartSDR V2.0 without using SmartLink.  Hopefully, that will let me see the radio on the VPN and also let me run my other server gadgets.  
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Yes, you can. 
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    DMZ not necessary. Just port forwarding. And ddns.

PSTRotator is one of the best paid ham radio utility apps I've ever bought.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    But is there any security since your rotor is exposed on the public internet, like at least a login screen?
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    None except I turn on the server remotely only when I am using it
  • John Cooper
    John Cooper Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Thank you Ria,  That'll work fine.  

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.