Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

VOX is way too sensitive too trigger wih ambient noise noise set to "0" ..

K4EAR
K4EAR Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows

Comments

• Dale KB5VE
    Dale KB5VE Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    What mic are you using? I use a pr 40 which is not real sensitive.
  • K4EAR
    K4EAR Member ✭✭
    edited April 2014
    I use an audio technica vocal mic with an outboard preamp, and a DEQ2496.I'm not overdriving the 6700.
  • Reggie-k6xr
    Reggie-k6xr Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    How do you set ambient noise to zero? I cannot adjust my vox anywhere for normal use. using a heil pro set wity 6500
  • k0eoo
    k0eoo Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I'm noticing the VOX control seems to be working opposite to convention. It gets more sensitive as you go to 0 and less sensitive as you go to 100. So I set mine back to the default value of 70 and the DELAY to 22.... But I notice the initial trip delay is about 100ms not fast enough for VOX operation. Is there a way to make the VOX trigger quicker??
  • Gerald-K5SDR
    Gerald-K5SDR FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    You are correct that it is the opposite convention. This was fixed today to go in the v1.0 release next week. The delay you are seeing on the front end was a pop filter that was also removed today. We changed the delay slider to go from 0 to 2000 ms in 20 ms steps.
  • Gerald-K5SDR
    edited April 2019
    Testing VOX this evening on the air with v0.17.1.243. Working great with no loss of the beginning syllables. Sliders are fixed now as well.
  • Robert -- N5IKD
    Robert -- N5IKD Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    I think the VOX sensitivity convention in 0.16.4 makes sense and would be intuitive if it had a mic level next to it and triggered when the mic level meets or exceeds the sensitivity set point.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I have found that I haven't gotten a good setting with my 6500 yet because I use a pair of Dayton Audio 6 1/2 inch bookshelf speakers and a Lepai amp. WIth no Anti-vox, I am getting way too much activation from loud signals through my speakers. If I was using headphones, it would probably be great. But then I don't tend to use VOX much anyway. I have had way too many sneezes and coughs go out over the air... not to mention yelling at my cats... I am not sure how you will be able to implement anti-vox when using stereo amps and variable balance between multiple slices, but it would be nice to have this adjustment.
  • k0eoo
    k0eoo Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Thanks Gerald for the update, glad to hear VOX is working well not! Cheers, Dennis, k0eoo
  • K4ELO
    K4ELO Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I can't even find the controls (.16.78)
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Gerald, I think the 0-2000 ms is a good range. I can't think of anyone ever needing more than 2 seconds VOX delay. Robert...Coupled with a mike level meter, or maybe even superimposed on the existing one as a green line, etc. might make sense, but as it is it is exactly backwards from what most people have used for the last 50 years.... But that isn't necessarily a reason to adopt a new standard as long as it is clearly explained. Most of us can adapt to anything, given enough information. He are hams, after all!
  • Jim Bryce W5HFS
    Jim Bryce W5HFS Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    As I read this thread it appears there is no anit-VOX, and that is my experience so far with my 6700 and the new software release. This is a severe limitation. I hope it is cured soon. Having grown up with Collins and other VOX operated gear for over fifty years I've come to expect this as a vital part of VOX; it's absence effectively nullifies much of the value of VOX.
  • K4EAR
    K4EAR Member ✭✭
    edited April 2014
    I asked about anti-vox years ago with no real answers. With a boom mic and near field monitor speakers 3ft away, it's tough. Many nets and roundtable groups use hair-trigger vox with <150ms delay. I just put the headphones on. There is always a stomp-to-talk footswitch here...as Ken opined, I make too many extraneous noises too!
  • Gerald-K5SDR
    edited December 2016
    We are working on Anti-VOX right now. It may or may not make it into v1.0.
  • Ed baker
    Ed baker Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Great addition VOX works fine here. Using 2050 mike with Scarlet Pre Amp. Pro tools. With setting at 0 will still work . For me 10 seems the better choice.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.