Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

VOX Operation

Jim
Jim Member ✭✭
edited March 2021 in SmartSDR for Windows
I am using a Flex 6700 with N1MM set up as SO2R............I have the VOX enabled, however, the VOX does not key radio

Answers

• EduardoCarvalho
    EduardoCarvalho Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Jim, This may sound like a **** question, and I'm pretty sure you have done that. Did you try playing with the levels on SSDR, such as feat and sensitivity and delay. Eduardo, KC8R
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Do you have DAX enabled for the N1MM voice keyer? VOX does not function when DAX TX audio is active.
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    There are several of us that consider this an issue Ken. I think FRS should look into this.
    In a long (48Hrs) contest it makes sense that you want to have both Voice keyer through DAX (as you can do today with N1MM) and VOX with your local Mic-Headset to start TX without the need to push a pedal.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I agree 1000% with SAL... I use VOX in contests especially long ones when my foot gets tired from slamming the pedal to the metal...
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    No argument from me here.  I was just commenting that this is currently how it operates, lest someone think they are having a problem.

But like you, Howard, and others who have commented, I also wish that VOX could be active on the mike inputs while DAX is configured for CAT or API PTT.  
    The PTT or VOX live mike should still override the voice keyer on DAX.  

It would be handy to have VOX working this way....Even after only 10:15 hours total over the two day contest this weekend, my foot is aching from banging the switch.  In fact before this weekend's contest, I wired a thumb switch in parallel so I could use either method at will.  Though with the new SO2R/SO2V setup, I found myself using the N1MM+ voice keyer much more than ever before.  

Ken - NM9P
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    After the past two contests, Howard, I agree.  VOX on MIC even with DAX enabled on phone modes (But not in DIGIU/L) would be good.

I also am going to start saving up for a radiosport headset.  My $99 Sony MDR-7506 only lasted about a year or so before I needed to replace the ear cushions, which kept flaking off and leaving black specks on my ears.  The third party replacement pads I ordered on Amazon are harder and a little smaller and are not even as comfortable as the Sony's, which were a little hard themselves.  I guess quality (which is what I thought I was getting) is expensive after all!

Ken - NM9P
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Ken, I purchased these covers for my yamaha cm500. They are very confortable and $9 with shipping. Cloth Ear Cover for Rugged Air David Clark Avcomm and Flightcom General Aviation Pilot Headset and Racing Radios Electronics Headsets https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0076NKKHC/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_tHn3wb1ZGJYW7
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Thanks.  I will look them up.  Not a bad price, either!
    Ken - NM9P
  • EduardoCarvalho
    EduardoCarvalho Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Hello,

I was able to operate with VOX and N1MM+ voice keyer enabled at the same time. Below are some of my settings in case it helps.

1. Set SmartSDR to the desired settings and enable VOX
    2. Do not enable DAX on Smart SDR
    3. On DAX window:
      3a. Enable TX Stream 
      3b. Enable Mic Stream
    4. Go to Config menu -> Logger+ Audio Setup
      4a. Go to the the Playback tab
      4b. Select SO2R: Two soundcards mono
      4c. Select DAX TX for both left and right radios
      4d. Check the box for Internal Radio Codec for both left and right radios
      4e. Go to the Message Recording tab
      4f. Select DAX MIC Audio for both left and right radios
      4g. Check the box for Zero Mic Level During Playback for both left and right radios
      4h. I have also selected 12,000 for the sampling rate
    5. Close the windows and it should all work

Now you should also be able to record the voice keyer messages using N1MM+. To do it so, use CTRL+SHIFT+function (the function you would like to record)

Please let me know if that works for others as well.

I hope this helps.

Eduardo, KC8R
  • Tony Garland N7DX
    Tony Garland N7DX Member ✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Thanks, Eduardo (KC8R) for the configuration settings that helped me to get it working. I didn't need any of the configuration settings for the MIC (the MIC channel, if you read the SmartSDR manual, is an OUTPUT which can be used to record what is arriving at the radio MIC). The key was the Audio Setup in N1MM: selecting TWO sound cards and selecting DAX TX for both left and right radios. Still don't understand why that works, since only one radio is in use.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.