VOX Issues

• Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • In Progress
The VOX sensitivity seems to vary while transmitting. I begin to speak and the mic keys, but sometimes the 6300 will go back into receive while speaking. If I stop speaking and then begin again the mic keys. On short transmissions such as counting and pausing the mic will key and unkey without a problem. Adjusting the VOX gain or turning off the downward expander makes no difference. PTT works fine.
Photo of KB3SI

KB3SI

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • hopeful

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Larry - W9FLA

Larry - W9FLA

• 12 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I noticed that my VOX was intermittent last night.  SDR SW crashed sometime later as the VOX continued to degrade.  The PC did not need a reboot.

An interesting thing about my VOX is that it only functions over a wireless connection.  Repeated attempts to use the Ethernet cable have all failed.
Photo of KB3SI

KB3SI

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I may have found the answer to my vox issue. By increasing the delay time (from 5 to 20), that so far seems to prevent the 6300 from going back to receive while speaking.
Photo of Cliff - G4PZK

Cliff - G4PZK

• 30 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
I've noticed the VOX issue with my 6500 and my 6300. I've increased the VOX gain and also the delay but increasing the delay makes quick fire operation difficult. I am considering returning to the previous version.
Photo of roger na4rr

roger na4rr

• 124 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
On my npota Trip I made over 10,000 contacts and vox worked fine. Today with the new software I had the same problem. And had to have a very long delay. When they fix one thing they break something else it's the nature of software I guess. It is nice to be able to key with vox and dax. When using voicekeyer.
Roger
Na4rr
Photo of Mike Aust

Mike Aust

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Went back to 1.8.4 with Flex6700
73 Mike
(Edited)
Photo of Cliff - G4PZK

Cliff - G4PZK

• 30 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Me too with 6500 and 6300
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9186 Posts
  • 3550 Reply Likes
More info needed.  Explain how VOX is configured since you can set it up multiple ways.  Is this a Maestro or SmartSDR for Windows?
Photo of Cliff - G4PZK

Cliff - G4PZK

• 30 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Hi Tim. I use SmartSDR at the moment running on an i7 processor via a wired LAN connection. I'm using a wireless headset (not bluetooth). I have three headsets, two are wireless (low latency proprietary) the third is a DECT headset. Using the same settings as for 1.8.4 VOX initially works fine and then after a sentence or two of speech it ceases to trigger the transmitter. It's as if the algorithm is averaging the speech and moving the trigger level. After regrading to 1.8.4 VOX works perfectly as before. I don't have a Maestro so can comment on that device.
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9186 Posts
  • 3550 Reply Likes
Cliff - thank you for the details I was requesting.  I have written up this behavior as defect #4024 so our software team can investigate further.
Photo of roger na4rr

roger na4rr

• 124 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
I am using mic directly connected to front of radio.  I am activating NPOTA SS-08 and IOTA NA-142 this weekend.  I will do some testing and report back.

na4rr
Roger
Photo of roger na4rr

roger na4rr

• 124 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes

System 6700, SSDR 1.9.7, Winows 7,  Mic connection front of radio. Headset front of radio.

In general got vox working  with K9DRU Voice Keyer(VK)

VOX gain 10  Delay 10.  VK keys radio and can immediately answer using VOX. Very nice.

However,  noticed this.  If MON is on and volume set at 50 There is reverb in headset audio.  I don’t know if this goes out over the air.  I had rf power set to 1 so as to not qrm as much while testing.

If I crank MON gain up to about 80 the reverb goes away.  Sounds like source for MON is coming from two different sources at the same time and increasing the MON volume get one to be dominate.

One keying “problem”  that I would not expect.  If DAX is selected and VOX you can not key with MOX button.  You have to turn off either DAX or VOX.  I do sometimes chose to key with MOX while primarily using VOX.  I made one final test before posting this and now I can key with any of the three DAX,VOX and MOX.  I’ll have to figure out what makes the situation where MOX will not key. 

I now see 1.9.9 is out so will need to re-test.

na4rr

Roger

I spoke a little too soon.  I went to ss08 this afternoon to test.  Vox started out working ok but after a couple of contacts.  The VOX would drop the xmit in the middle of a word.  Speaking louder did not help.  Keep increasing VOX gain to about 40 b4 it would hold but then would key by just breathing.  There is some kind of problem here. I'll try again tomorrow.

(Edited)
Photo of Cliff - G4PZK

Cliff - G4PZK

• 30 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes

Hi Roger

Are you saying that the VOX issue is still apparent with version 1.9.9? Maybe Tim can comment as I'd think it too soon to have added a VOX 'fix' after the issue was reported. It may be a limited problem of course. For me I've had to revert back to 1.8.4 as the guys on air were missing parts of my over.

Cliff - G4PZK

Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9186 Posts
  • 3550 Reply Likes
It was too soon to have this particular issue addressed after it was reported.

For everyone's reference, if you do not see a specific defect listed in the changelog for a particular release (included with the release announcement on the Community), then that particular issue was not addressed in the software release.
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3888 Posts
  • 947 Reply Likes
Cliff I assume VOX is the only way you can transmit? I don't understand rolling back and giving up all the things addressed in the last release.
Photo of Cliff - G4PZK

Cliff - G4PZK

• 30 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
I use a DECT wireless headset so no PTT plus the net I often operate on is quick fire so VOX is essential. I have used 'finger VOX' in the past on previous radios but I can't do that with the headset. Also operating PTT is relatively slow using a mouse click or similar. I don't understand updating and losing basic functions given it works fine in the previous version.

I'm happy to wait while the issue is mopped up and as Tim said it was very soon after being reported and it's hardly a show stopper.

Cliff
Photo of roger na4rr

roger na4rr

• 124 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
Tim

Have you been able to create the problem?  Being able to DAX and VOX key is worth staying with current version and working around

roger
na4rr
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9186 Posts
  • 3550 Reply Likes
If indicated that a reported behavior has been written up and placed in our bug tracker, which is validated by a defect number, in this case #4024, then there is enough "probable cause" that the issue is most likely a defect.  Sometimes the "probable cause" comes from an initial sustaining engineering activity where the suspect behavior is verified.  Other times it is deduced by the number of similar reports.  Better yet, it is a combination of both.  For this particular issue, we have not done any sustaining engineering on this issue yet; there are other issues in the queue that are taking precedence at the moment.
Photo of Norm - W7CK

Norm - W7CK

• 759 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
I am having the same issue with VOX.  Half way through a transmission, the Transmitter will go back to receive and it is impossible to get VOX to key up again without fiddling with the settings.  I can scream into the MIC and it has no effect.

This is with SmartSDR on a PC and not with the Maestro.  Although I have a Maestro, I haven't been using it lately and have not tested the VOX function through it.  Using VOX with the Maestro is just too cumbersome due to too many menus. 
(Edited)
Photo of mikeatthebeach .

mikeatthebeach .

• 480 Posts
  • 82 Reply Likes
Same here - went back to v1.8.4 on Flex6700
73 Mike
(Edited)
Photo of Karl KB2AS

Karl KB2AS

• 12 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

I am having a similar issue with VOX after loading 1.9.9. Adjusting VOX sensitivity and MIC gain alleviated the problem for the most part, however I still get the occasional drop while talking, not too often since the adjustment was made. It will not trip the VOX again if I continue talking, waiting for a second or two resumes normal operation.

Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9186 Posts
  • 3550 Reply Likes
Official Response
This defect will be addressed in the next release of SmartSDR.  Thanks to everyone for the reports.
Photo of Roger Rockwell/na4rr

Roger Rockwell/na4rr

• 69 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Hi Tim,

Upgraded to the latest smsdr 9.13.173 and the problem is still there.  Is is not quite as bad.  I run k9dur voice keyer.   It keys  the radio just fine.  I use it to call cq and answer with vox.  The vox will work for various periods of time.  sometimes a minute. Sometimes 5 min.  Then vox stops. I have to say hello, hello, a couple of times then it kicks in again and works for awhile.  If I'm lucky I get a pile-up going and when it happens I just turn off DAX and work til I need to cq again.  I also run with MON on so I can hear myself in the headset.  With this version, with dax and vox on there is a very slight echo on my voice in the headset.   I dont remember this  happening before. When Dax is off MON is as one would expect.  73 Roger
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9186 Posts
  • 3550 Reply Likes
Interesting.  Please submit a HelpDesk ticket so we can investigate this behavior further.  If Dudley picks up your tickets, have him assign it to me.
Photo of Cliff - G4PZK

Cliff - G4PZK

• 30 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
I have also noticed that the effect is still present although it's nowhere near as bad as before. I use a wireless headset and the issue now occurs after some 30 seconds of modulation. Pausing during an over and allowing it to recover then allows a further 30 seconds. I have not timed it so 30 seconds is an estimate.

Cliff, G4PZK
(Edited)
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9186 Posts
  • 3550 Reply Likes
If the wireless headset drops the audio channel, VOX will close the input channel.  Also, make sure you do not have DAX enabled as that appears to exacerbate the issue with VOX.
Photo of James Kennedy-WU5E

James Kennedy-WU5E

• 334 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes

MY VOX is working fine in 1.9.13

Jim

WU5E

Photo of Dale - K4DG

Dale - K4DG

• 7 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I had a similar problem during CQWW this past weekend. While speaking, the VOX would occasionally drop and unkey the transmitter. I ended up using my foot pedal to engage PTT as this behavior became annoying during the heat of the contest. I have a wired headset and am running lastest version of SMart SDR and have not seen this behavior in previous versions.
Photo of Cliff - G4PZK

Cliff - G4PZK

• 30 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
FWIW the VOX problem still persists on the latest 1.10.8 beta version. During even shortish overs I am having to revert to MOX operation which is a little tedious at times. Hopefully the VOX issue is still being worked on as I'd hate to lose the option to operate purely with VOX.

Cliff, G4PZK
(Edited)
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9186 Posts
  • 3550 Reply Likes
Are you using DAX at the same time?
Photo of Cliff - G4PZK

Cliff - G4PZK

• 30 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Hi Tom, no DAX isn't running.

Cliff, G4PZK
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9186 Posts
  • 3550 Reply Likes
Just to confirm, you do not have the DAX button clicked (illuminated blue) in the Phone/CW panel sidebar window.
Photo of Cliff - G4PZK

Cliff - G4PZK

• 30 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
That's correct, DAX button NOT illuminated blue and DAX control panel not running.

Cliff, G4PZK
(Edited)