Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Voice messages

Sergey KN7K
Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
I used 6600 first time during SSB contest.
I did not have time to figure out how to record and play my messages, but after contest i did some testing.
Using LogHX logger I was able to record a messages using "DAX Audio TX(FlexRadioSystem)" for Output and "DAX Mic Audio (FlexRadioSystem)" for Input.
The issue that I have is I can play my messages fine with DAX enabled, but VOX is not working. When DAX is dissabled - VOX is working fine.
How can I make them work together - DAX enabled and VOX working?
Thanks
Sergey, KN7K

Answers

• Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    I also tried K9DUR Voice Keyer, same thing, work with DAX enabled, but no VOX.
    And opposite, VOX working, but without DAX I cannot play messages.
    In additional, I cannnot figure out why K9DUR Voice Keyer starts to play messages fine, but stays in TX until i click Escape button.
    Sergey, KN7K
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    This will be fixed in the next update. number  (#6682)
  • Gene - K3GC
    Gene - K3GC Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    I hope the next update will be soon - there are a number of bugs in 2.4.9
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Gene, what other ones have you noticed?
  • Gene - K3GC
    Gene - K3GC Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Bill, this is a post from  a few weeks ago.  It seems to affect DXSuite users.
    After upgrading to 2.4.9 spots became sporadic.  They would work for a while and then disappear.  I use spot collector in DXSuite. A restart is required to get spots back but it will still only work for a short while

I downgraded back to 2.3.9 and spots work as before.
    Has anyone else seen this problem?

• Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Other bugs? Loosing audio intermittently in SSB mode, other modes OK. Fix by rebooting the radio. Sergey, KN7K
  • Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    So, is there any known method to play recorded messages Now?
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Maybe there will be an update around Christmas time...
  • Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Again, what Flex users currently using for SSB recording/playing?
    I cannot imagine contesters repeat CQ for 48hours without any recorder.
    Thanks
    Sergey, KN7K
  • Bill - W9KKN
    Bill - W9KKN Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I was able to use DAX-based voice keying for CQWWSSB this weekend and CQP prior to that, but yes, ran into a lot of bugs. SSDR 2.4.9 is a very frustrating experience for SSB contesting at the moment and toward the end of the contest, I started itching to downgrade.

I wish that Flex would consider having a separate 'stable' and an 'early access' train for people other than the alpha team, or, create a larger beta team (other than all of the customers) so that I could run the latest 'stable' release during contests, and then enjoy the new toys at all other times. 
  • Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Bill, do you mind to share your settings and screenshots?
    Did you use N1MM pre-recorded messages or else?
    Thanks
    Sergey, KN7K
  • Bill Roberts
    Bill Roberts Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Do the reported 2.4.9 bugs also keep quick recorded files (a CQ or received audio) from playing through the speakers connected to the radio?  With 2.3.9, I was able to record someone's audio, transmit it and listen to that transmission via the speakers.  Now, I can record received audio but when I retransmit it, I can see it on the panadapter but can not hear it through the speakers.  Yes...  I have DAX checked.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Yes, this is a condition that Flex will address.
  • Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    So, based on above Flex6xxx series does not have Voice recoding and playing functionality. I guess the only option at this time to look for external voice keyer . It is disappointing that in 2018 released model it miss a basic function that included in other brands KN7K
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    In the last release something has effected how it works. Things like this happens sometimes.
    I have been sucsseful in recording and play back but it works differently than it used to. The Dax and Vox have to be used to get it working, as well as Mox for transmit.
  • Lucas - W6AER
    Lucas - W6AER Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I would say that the voice key function is a MUST HAVE if it is going to be marketed towards contest crowds. Even for DX folks would be very useful. Hopefully someone at flex will read this as, while I like the product, I think this is a major oversight. 
  • Gene - K3GC
    Gene - K3GC Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    There are sufficient problems with 2.4.9 that I think there should be an interim bug squash release.
    We shouldn't have to wait until Christmas to get back to where we were before.
    This is not the quality that I have grown to expect from FRS.
  • Bill - W9KKN
    Bill - W9KKN Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Yeah, let me gather them up the next time I'm in front of the radio.
  • Bill - W9KKN
    Bill - W9KKN Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    So sometimes, seemingly for no reason, MON will disable itself. Other times, yes, you can be in a state where it is enabled but isn't working. 

I've noticed that actually, you don't necessarily want DAX to be enabled in the TX menu, and it seems like N1MM will enable it during transmitting (which only works if CAT is communicating successfully.)  If you do have it enabled all of the time, the "Level Meter During Receive" function doesn't work, which I tend to rely on to make sure that the microphone is positioned appropriately and to make sure I'm not yelling with the radiosport headset. It turns out that if the MON isn't enabled or loud enough, I won't have a good idea of my volume. MON functions as an ALC circuit in this case :-)
  • Bill - W9KKN
    Bill - W9KKN Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    And to be clear, leaving DAX disabled is the way that it normally worked without 2.4.9 bugs.
  • Bill - W9KKN
    Bill - W9KKN Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Lucas -- I would say that the Flex does have this functionality via DAX / Logging software, though it doesn't have a DVK (besides a super basic one that I think was in SmartSDR for Windows) built in like the optional one for Elecraft. 

As a contester, I'm pretty happy with the Flex when it comes to how voice keying works, but only when it actually does. Also, to be fair, I can't remember this functionality being as broken as it is in 2.4.9 since at least the 1.x releases, and I've been a faithful Flex apologist since at least early 2016. My main critiques are in the silly dances you have to do to record/playback your audio (i.e., lack of a real test mode.) I'd also really like to have access to the exact stream of audio being sent to my headphones on the computer for contest recording rather than having to implement a separate thing for it (MON+Active Slice on one virtual soundcard) because there isn't a lot of Windows software that can record audio from multiple input devices simultaneously without doing wonky loopback tricks.
  • Lucas - W6AER
    Lucas - W6AER Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    The more I read up on it and think about it, I am going to have to agree with you Gene.
  • Mauro VE3TCV
    Mauro VE3TCV Member
    edited October 2018
    I created a post in the ideas area regarding this, coming from a contesting background I find that a built-in voicekeyer should be standard.  I am forced to use the K9DUR software but it would be nice to have this built into SSDR.  My vintage 2005 Yaesu FT-1000MP had a voicekeyer :(
  • Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Hi Mauro, what SSDR software are you using that works with K9DUR ? I am on latest SW, but K9DUR will work the same way-work with DAX enabled, But VOX does not work.
    Sergey
    Kn7k
  • Mauro VE3TCV
    Mauro VE3TCV Member
    edited October 2018
    I am using the latest version of SSDR, I ran it solely in DAX and clicking a shortcut key each time I needed it.  I did not run into any issues however I did not try it on VOX.
  • Andy - KU7T
    Andy - KU7T Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Why do your guys not use a contest logger's built in facility to record and play messages? That is the only effective way to play and cancel running messages as far as I know. Radio built-in DVKs are not fully adequate for contesting in my opinion. I used N1MM+ to record and play messages last weekend without issues. I do not do VOX, so maybe I did not see that issue mentioned above...

Andy
    KU7T
  • Mauro VE3TCV
    Mauro VE3TCV Member
    edited October 2018
    Hi Andy, I normally do use N1MM when I contest but I do not always have N1MM open when working a DX station such as VP6D.  That why it would  be nice to have a voicekyer natively built into SSDR.
  • Andy - KU7T
    Andy - KU7T Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Below is my opinion. Others may disagree, off course...

Other non contest Logging programs support this too. Maybe you need to switch logging programs.

I hate to be the spoiler, but in my opinion it is unrealistic to expect to get every awesome ham radio feature into the radio you own. The reason we have many other niche applications is because it is not realistic or cost efficient to do that. You can either use 3rd party software or build your own (since this radio actually has an API) to do the additional 15% of stuff you want to do. 

Let the Flexradio guys focus on the CORE radio and software features and stabilize (as it seems that may be needed).

Andy
    KU7T
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Andy, I'm glad you at least get it.
    To further your comment keep in mind that SSDR is a thin client, so aplications can not be included in the software. The apps would need to be installed in the radio taking up huge resouces within.
    On a thick client type SDR radio, the computer is the radio. On a Flex the SSDR is the raio, not the computer. This is the reason recordings are saved in the radio and not part of a file system on a computer HD.

Installing apps on the computer is easy and they work seemlesly with the Flex SSDR. And we can have as many apps as we want, no limit.
  • Mauro VE3TCV
    Mauro VE3TCV Member
    edited April 2019
    I "get it".  The point I am trying to get across is that it is not always practical to have many programs running at the same time just to make a QSO.  What if we decide to use a Maestro?  We would then have no voice keyer functions.  I am simply pointing out features that are important to some, almost all other mid to high end radios have them for a reason.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.