Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Virtual Serial Ports in Windows 10

My Windows 7 PC just died and I have purchased a shiny new Windows 10 PC. Power SDR installed really easily and is working but when I try to connect my log books (DX4WIN adn N1MM) I am having problems getting Virtual Serial Ports to work. The software I have used for years with windows 7 calle dVSPE installed fine and seemed to set up the pairs fine, when I restarted it refuses to run ans says a critical error has occurred and to restart. This does no good. There does not seem to be a more recent version of this software. I have downloaded comOcom from sourceforge, the instructions say to run Setup.exe but the .zip file doesn't seem to have Setup.exe in it, can anyone suggest the best VSP software to use with Windows 10 and where I can download from. Thank you

Comments

• John
    John Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
     A related issue is when not all software will handle virtual ports. Pharos and cw skimmer do, but fldigi, wspr, wsprx/wsjt10 and a lot more do not. Its a big headache and a pain in the ......
  • Sasi VK5SN
    Sasi VK5SN Member
    edited March 2017
    I had major issues when I upgraded and spent a lot of time troubleshooting before I decided to try the PowerSDR by KE9NS with VSPE. All good now.
  • Paul_Mills
    Paul_Mills Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I have never had this problem. Works fine for me. Some programs do have a problem with port numbers above certain numbers. Such as none above 4, or sometimes 8, but this is usually not hard to work around.
  • Paul_Mills
    Paul_Mills Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    To use VSPE with 64-bit windows, you may need the 64-bit version <http://www.eterlogic.com/Products.VSPE.html>. The 64-bit version is not free. $24.95. The web site explains why.

For com0com, sourceforge by default downloads the wrong file. It downloads a utility that can be used with com0com. Click on files instead, and look for version of com0com you want. But, I find com0com a pain to use. Link to proper directory <https://sourceforge.net/projects/com0com/files/com0com/>
  • Rick
    Rick Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I have occasional problems as well with vspe and smartcat. Never thought to check which version of vspe I have. Is there an obvious way to see if I have the 64 bit version for my win 10?
  • Sasi VK5SN
    Sasi VK5SN Member
    edited March 2017
    Mine is a 32bit..freeware. The other option is the VSP Manager by K5FR which is a freeware. You do need to write to the author to obtain the free licence for amateur use.
  • Paul_Mills
    Paul_Mills Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    The 64-bit version of VSPE will show as 64-bit if you check in menu 'HELP' 'ABOUT'. This is what I use. Price is $24.95.
  • John
    John Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    A question slightly off this topic, but still related....is there any correlation betwen DAX andVirtual cable. I ask this because I am currently set up for virtual cable which works well, but not many software makers use VC. Is there a way of switching  over from one to the other. I am running the licenced version of VAC
  • David Pearson
    David Pearson Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    I try getting the free version of VSP, that ended up being harder to do than just an email not sure if I worded my email correctly.  I purchase VSP from Eltima, I have problems with their drivers. 
  • Elen Reynolds
    Elen Reynolds Member
    edited May 2017
    Hi! I'm using Virtual COM port Driver. It works perfect with Windows OS, but it is not free
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited May 2017
    DAX only works with the 6000 series hardware. One end of the DAX channel is set to automatically connect to the radio over IP. It will not work with other hardware.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.