Video Card Advice Please.

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
I building a new system for my 6500 and I do not want to reinvent the wheel.  I will be running a Intel Core i7-4790K and a MSI ATX DDR3 2600 LGA 1150 Motherboards Z97 GAMING 7 motherboard. The OS will be Win 8.1 PRO. 
What I want to accomplish is a three monitor system. When running the 6500 I will run 1 monitor for SSDR. A second for Log Book with DX cluster. And a third for digital apps. 
I will also use this system to run Train and Plane simulators on one monitor. 

I am thinking a need one high end card like this XFX Double D R9 290X 1000MHz 4GB DDR5 DP HDMI 2XDVI Graphics Cards R9290XEDFD  This will give me two monitors for the 6500 or one gaming monitor. And then one low end card to provide the third monitor for a logbook. 

So can I have a low and high end card on my system? Can AMD and NVIDIA be on the same system? 

Am I going about this the right way? 

Thank you in advance for saving me from some costly mistakes.

73,   Dan  KM6CQ
Photo of KM6CQ - Dan

KM6CQ - Dan

• 187 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Peter K1PGV

Peter K1PGV, Elmer

• 553 Posts
  • 323 Reply Likes
It's an interesting thought... I've never seen this done.  Rather, I've always seen desktops spread across identical graphics cards (and preferably monitors). This makes it seamless when you move a window from one screen to another.

You *can* combine cards from different vendors on the same system,but it makes for tricky business... and graphics cards are tricky enough by themselves.  I personally wouldn't do it.  When you have multiple cards from the same family, they are often controlled by driver instances that are aware of each other to create synergies.

Sorry I can't give you any solid, specific, guidance.

Peter
K1PGV
Photo of John n0snx

John n0snx

• 229 Posts
  • 54 Reply Likes
This Card would easily handle ALL three ......  No need for a separate card...  That's if your monitors have HDMI capabilities... 
(Edited)
Photo of kg5eiu

kg5eiu

• 35 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
I have never seen where cards didn't match in a system, I have always "matched" them.  I have always had GREAT luck with EVGA NVIDIA cards -  they have  NEVER done me wrong - I have used a lot of them in my SETI farm crunching 7X24 - over-cloccked etc.  Never any issues.  (only 1 DOA but you will know that right away)  Depending on your vision and future you may want to consider going with display port and a HUB - with this setup and one-big-bad card along with the hub and some matching monitors - wow very sweet setup.  (look at the EVGA display port hub)

Regards,
-David
KG5EIU
Photo of Rich McCabe

Rich McCabe

• 1148 Posts
  • 245 Reply Likes
I think running multiple cards is more trouble than its worth.  Your gaming needs are going to take priority.  I would stick to a single card personally or two matched. I normally run the flex along with 10 other apps including a window of TV on a mid line NVIDIA card that is 2 year old technology now.

The task you are trying to do is pretty simple. Most serious games are going to be way more intensive than the flex.