Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

VFO line does not match RTTY waterfall signals?

Neal Pollack, N6YFM
Neal Pollack, N6YFM Member ✭✭
edited May 2020 in Maestro
Today I noticed that if I switch to RTTY mode, the VFO tuning "line" does not match RTTY signals on the waterfall.   If I switch to CW, and put the VFO tuning line over a CW signal on the waterfall, I hear it in the speaker, no problem.  It lines up.   But when I switch to RTTY, if I put the VFO tuning line on a RTTY signal on the waterfall, I hear nothing.  If it tune left or right, I hear RTTY signals, but not where they are visible on the waterfall.  It's almost like there is an offset.

I did set RTTY tones to 1275 and 170 shift.

Any ideas what I am overlooking?   It is currently like I am flying blind.  I have to ignore the waterfall and simple tune and listen to find RTTY signals.

Thanks for any ideas.

Neal

Answers

• Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Neal, why you like to using Low Tones ?

99,9% of all RTTY op's using High Tones

73 Chris
  • Neal Pollack, N6YFM
    edited February 2020
    If you had to wear hearing aids, that like to generate feedback at 2125,
    you might then undertand why I like to use low tones.   The hobby should not
    cause pain :-)

Cheers,

Neal
  • Neal Pollack, N6YFM
    edited February 2020
    Back on topic;   While in RTTY mode, the tuning line for the VFO is not matching RTTY signals on the waterfall.   It is almost like there is some sort of offset going on.   Does anyone have any ideas about what to check?

Sincere Thanks,

Neal
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Neal, maybe it's helpful to show us a screen shot of the right side of the SSDR screen..
    I personally do not have seen that problem on my 2 F6 in the past - and i working RTTY

Chris
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    The RTTY mode works fine, one has to make changes to the setups if using unconventional tones.

At this station, Mark frequency is 1kc.  In SSDR one sets the Mark as 1000 on the DSP take. The RTTY modem needs setup also. By way of example, FLDIGI has the sweetspot set at 1085. This is (Mark + Space) / 2.   Also the RTTY modem Transceiver FSK is set to 1Kc.   

On the fldigi waterfall, with narrowest RTTY filter selected, the audio channel is dead center. When a signal is received, the AFC in fldigi tracks and locks. Hitting the QSY button brings one right on frequency.   All panfalls - waterfalls and frequency readings agree and are accurate.

Beats the days of LC- filters, drifting transceivers, o'scopes for tuning  smell of oil and grease from the TTY.  (but those were fun days too!).

_..--
    k3Tim

• Neal Pollack, N6YFM
    edited February 2020
    RESOLVED:    It was the hint that Chris gave in the first answer above.   There are apparently THREE places that the MARK frequency needs to be set to match each other (IF you are chaning to lower or different tones):

1.   The RADIO menu default, per Chris' screenshot above.
    2.   The Slice Receiver Menu.
    3.   The "PHONE/CW" sub-menu on a Maestro

And lastly, make sure you set it to match in your software program on the PC, like MMTTY or FLdigi.
    I use a low MARK tone of 1275, which is much more friendly for my hearing aids (The default MARK of 2125 causes feedback, not fun).   But of course, you can use anything you wish, as long as all the items above match (are set to the same MARK frequency).

Thanks Chris and Tim.

Neal

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.