VFO B Mute ZZMB0; and ZZMB1;

• Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
I'm trying to mute & unmute audio in Slices A and/or B with CAT commands to SmartCAT COM Port 4.

I'm able to mute & unmute VFOA using ZZMA0; & ZZMA1; commands but I'm getting no responses on VFOB with ZZMB0; or ZZMB1;.

It's a script & I'm merely substituting A for B in the text & getting these mixed results.

Any help understanding this would be greatly appreciated. Flex6300 & SmartSDR 1.6.21.

Thanks!
Photo of Bob - W7KWS -

Bob - W7KWS -

• 321 Posts
  • 52 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Lee

Lee, Elmer

• 680 Posts
  • 286 Reply Likes
if you're using a DDUTIL macro the command is 

DD6AUM Slice Audio Mute
 Form: DD6AUM P1 P2 P3 ;
 Parm: P1 = Slice to set (1 char 0-7 {A-H} & 9 for active slice.)
 Parm: P2 = Separator (1 char {':' recommended})
 Parm: P3 = {0|1} 0 = Off, 1 = On
 Uses: DD6AUM0:1; Mute Slice 0 Audio

I think ZZMA is from F5K days and does not mute a specific slice.  
There is no slice argument only off and on

ZZMA    Sets or reads the Mute (MUT) status
Get	ZZMA	;								
Set	ZZMA 	P1	;							
Answer	ZZMA	P1	;							
Notes	P1 = 0 for off, 1 for on.
Photo of Bob - W7KWS -

Bob - W7KWS -

• 321 Posts
  • 52 Reply Likes
Thanks Lee but it's not a DDUTIL script. It's an AutoHotKey script which writes the Flex CAT Command directly to the COM Port. These are the commands as defined in the SmartCAT User Guide. Since VFOA works great but VFOB doesn't, when I simply substitute B for A in the same script, it signals to me a factor outside the script.
(Edited)
Photo of Lee

Lee, Elmer

• 680 Posts
  • 286 Reply Likes
I don't think ZZMA and ZZMB are SSDR cat commands.  I think they are PowerSDR cat commands and it just so happens ZZMA also works with SSDR slice 0.  My guess is ZZMB is not defined.  The problem is a slice is not handled the same as a receiver.  I think that is why Steve created DD6xxx commands so they can be applied to up to 8 slices.  But I may be wrong.

(Edited)
Photo of Bob - W7KWS -

Bob - W7KWS -

• 321 Posts
  • 52 Reply Likes
Lee,

It's on page 28 of the SmartCAT User Guide. Look here:

http://www.flexradio.com/downloads/smartsdr-cat-user-guide-pdf/
Photo of Lee

Lee, Elmer

• 680 Posts
  • 286 Reply Likes
I parsed it through my 6500 and ZZMB does not work.  ZZMA works fine.  I believe still it's a carryover from the PSDR architecture and is not connected to anything in SSDR.  I reviewed the PSDR CAT documents and this command is there in those documents, so I think the command is trying to mute the second receiver in a F5K.   

Photo of Bob - W7KWS -

Bob - W7KWS -

• 321 Posts
  • 52 Reply Likes
Lee,

It sounds like you have quite a bit of experience with Flex so your input carries a lot of weight with me.  Do you think its inclusion in the SmartCAT manual is an oversight?

How would you toggle the audio between two slices/VFOs using CAT? 

I haven't written software since the 4004 & 8048 days of assembly language & these new methods are like Greek to me.  I'm too old for very many more new tricks.

Thanks!
Photo of Lee

Lee, Elmer

• 680 Posts
  • 286 Reply Likes
You might drop K5KDN Bob a line and see what he thinks.  I believe he is the keeper of the Flex CAT commands.  I think Steve K5FR created the DD6AUM command in DDUTIL so he could address mute behavior in individual slices in SSDR.  The addition of multiple slices somewhat increased the need for a more complex syntax in the command.  Now you know all I know :)  I learned on a Sinclair Z80, but with advent of Visual Studio I've been fooling around with C# in the past month or so, so I understand your shoes. 

Photo of Bob - W7KWS -

Bob - W7KWS -

• 321 Posts
  • 52 Reply Likes
Lee,

It turns out that I needed to open a second CAT port assigned to slice B. My script still isn't working so there's work to do. I just thought you would know this tidbit I found in the manual.
Photo of Lee

Lee, Elmer

• 680 Posts
  • 286 Reply Likes
Tnx Bob, good to know

Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9186 Posts
  • 3542 Reply Likes
Official Response
Any CAT command specifically for VFO B will not respond unless you issue a SPLIT command (ZZSW1;) on the on the CAT port that you designate as VFO A  
Photo of Bob - W7KWS -

Bob - W7KWS -

• 321 Posts
  • 52 Reply Likes
Hi Tim,

Yes, I read that in the manual & ZZSW1 is in my script but the results are still flakey. I do have a theory. Maybe you can confirm it for me.

For instance, ZZSW1 doesn't spawn a 2nd slice as I understand it should. Sometimes commands to Slice A work, sometimes they are slow & other times no response at all so I know I'm writing to the COM ports.

When I've created a Slice B manually and write ZZMA1; OR ZZMA0; to the CAT port assigned to Slice B, Slice B sometimes responds. Of course this doesn't seem to follow logic & is confusing things.

I'm wondering if I have a conflict between two itterations of CAT. One is running on my main PC which interfaces the 6300 to my SteppIR & to OmniRig. SmartCAT is also is running on my tablet where my script & SSDR is running.

Does CAT talk directly to the radio or to SSDR. If directly to the radio, this may be my problem since I've used the same COM5 on each machine. it's only used for CAT & Slice B on the tablet. COM5 is used for PSTRotatorAZ & my rotator on the PC.

Thanks Tim!
(Edited)
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9186 Posts
  • 3542 Reply Likes
Try the commands individually using the test feature in CAT.  If there are any that do not work properly, let me know.

CAT communicates directly with the radio.  It is possible that the two CAT processes (clients) are interacting in such as way that is producing unexpected and/or unintended results.
Photo of Bob - W7KWS -

Bob - W7KWS -

• 321 Posts
  • 52 Reply Likes
Tim,

I opened two new CAT ports that are not duplicated anywhere and I've turned CAT in the tablet computer off.  Using the CAT test facility, I added two new ports, COM17 assigned to slice A and COM18 assigned to slice B.  On the first log page I executed ZZSW1; which successfully spawned a slice B.  ZZMA1; successfully mutes slice A but ZZMB1; has no effect on slice B.

Slice B is muted because I did it with the mouse before I took the screenshot.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!
(Edited)
Photo of Bob - W7KWS -

Bob - W7KWS -

• 321 Posts
  • 52 Reply Likes
Follow up, I wrote ZZMB1: to COM17 which is now marked as associated with slice A/B & it worked (it muted slice B).  Is this the intended operation?  If it is I suppose COM18 is irrelevant.
(Edited)
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9186 Posts
  • 3542 Reply Likes
Yes, this is the intended operation.  Slice A (com17) is a "split" slice and is paired with slice B.  So Com 17 will respond to both VFO-A and VFO-B commands.  In a Split configuration, the CAT enabled software only uses one com port which is assumes is controlling VFO-A and VFO-B.
Photo of Bob - W7KWS -

Bob - W7KWS -

• 321 Posts
  • 52 Reply Likes
Thanks Tim,

OK, these discoveries have helped a lot. It's working, however starting it up is not straight forward.

In normal operation CAT remains running all the time but SSDR is usually opened & closed at the beginning and end of each operating period  

When SSDR restarts it opens with both slices A&B open, as it was in the previous session.  It appears however that COM17 is reset in this process and is once again only associated with slice A.  In this condition ZZSW1 has no effect and requires that I close slice B in order that ZZSW1; can spawn it anew & reestablish the lost connection.

Reading the manual, I don't find a way to reestablish contact with slice B without having to close it just to have ZZSW1; reopen it again.  Having to remember this every time seems like unneeded and confusing overhead.  I can remember to do it every time but others who might use functions like this may end up frustrated.

It seems that the most straight forward approach would be that, closing & opening SSDR didn't reset the association between the COM port & slice B or, in the alternative, if ZZSW1; would reconnect with slice B even though it is already open.

Can you suggest some other approaches to this?

Thanks once again Tim, for valuable input!
(Edited)
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9186 Posts
  • 3542 Reply Likes
When operating split, you do not need a CAT port for slice B, as the CAT port that initiated split takes care of spawning the "split" slice and processing the VFO-B commands.

You need to take the radio out of split mode by issuing a ZZSW0; command to undo split.