Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

VFO B (but not for Split).

Steven Catani
Steven Catani Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I would like to use VFO-B but not for Split. On my nets we use both voice and digital. In order to keep all signal processing (Comp and eq) off the digial TX but have it for Voice TX I use two slices on the same frequency. When digital is keyed it automatically switches TX to the correct channel, but when digital is unkeyed it does not switch back.

A number of things would solve this problem.. First if the Auto Switch TX Slice on the Cat Port Edit screen had three choices (Enable - Stay, Enable - Return, Disable) rather than two choices (Enable, Disable) my two slice solution would work great. Second if there was a slice option that Switch USB to Digu (and LSB to Digl) when keyed via CAT it would allow me to use just one slice. (Maybe this could be a new choice (USB/DIGU) in the modulation choices rather than a option.

A third way would let me use VFO-B. If I could set VFO-B to a slice than I could write a rig-cat file to do it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Steve
N2TAO

Answers

• AA0KM
    AA0KM Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017

It may not be the correct settings or most efficient but i just use what ever setup for ssb and just go from there.
    Just use one vfo. Never really found EQ was an issue either much.
    I suppose this could be an issue on decoding with the program your using.
    But I have never had a problem going this route.
    DigU and DigL for precision and it works really well for weak signals.

DigL digU for strictly digital mode in there respective areas on the bands as to not run into adjacent signals.

Going this route less computer settings confusion but i like your idea.

• ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    I am not fully clear what you are doing here.. but if its just cat telemetry for a second slice to be a virtual VFOB, go to SmartCAT, open your com port, and where it by default says SO2R, go to the pull down and select SO2V.  what this actually does is enable telemetry from both Slice A and B simulating a traditional cat port on a legacy transceiver.  This is not labeled clearly for non-contest logger related use but is a handy feature.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Steve, am I getting this correctly....
    You want to use slice A for SSB/voice, and use Slice B for DigiU for your data stuff, and have it automatically switch to B when the Digital program wants to transmit, and back to A when you hit the PTT/Footswitch for SSB? 

This would be nice also for those **** SSTV/EasyPal. 

I understand the reason -- DigiU has a flat response, and SSB links to a Mic Profile.
    I have tried simply using my PTT when in DigiU to add comments via SSB when playing around with SSTV, but the audio has no TX EQ or Processing. 

If Chris's suggestion doesn't work, perhaps you can use a software PTT linked to Slice A?
    Can you program your FlexControl Knob for MOX and have that assigned to A?  I haven't tried yet.

I guess the alternative is to use the mouse to switch the active slice back to A.
    There may be a FlexControl Knob setting that allows it to change the TX active slice.  I know there is a mode that allows me to assign a button to shift between the active slice for control purposes.  I don't know it it will work to assign which slice will TX....

Ken - NM9P

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    The "Shift and Return" may be a good option.

Another possibility might be for FRS to allow the same "auto select" option (autoselect ON/OFF) to be connected to the PTT or Footswitch jack.
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Ken

Have you seen how FRStacks handles the TX and panadapter switching?

SDRgadgets

#FlexRadio IRC chat

73, Jay - NO5J

• Steven Catani
    Steven Catani Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Thanks, I use MS-DMT for digital and it is very sensitive to audio setting. With Ham modes your suggestion works quite well.
  • Steven Catani
    Steven Catani Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Appreciate the suggestion. I tried this and allowed the system to spawn a second (VFO B slice) and after spawned it worked fine. I then saved it as a profile, but it turns out the Slice is persistent but not the VFO-B assignment.
  • Steven Catani
    Steven Catani Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Jay,

you captured what I want to do perfectly. I currently employ the mouse to switch back. I like the PPT idea as well. any idea how to implement it... I dont have a flex Knob but happy to get one if it solves this problem.

Steve
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Jay, it has been a while since I worked deeply with FRStacks beyond some standard memory stuff. I will mess around this weekend.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Steve. I have had the FlexControl Knib for 3 1/2 years and wouldn't be without it. In a hurried contest, or for fine tuning stuff, it is very handy. Much better than a mouse for some things like fine tuning frequency or adjusting AGC-T.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.