Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Very low output power on bands ffrom 20m to 10m

Options
H L
H L Member
edited October 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
I picked up a used flex 1500. Figure before buy new and bigger I might as well start small, and it was a low price. In any case in the process of learning how it works I hooked it my my dummy-load power meter. That was when I discovered I had a problem 160m-30m I am running from 3.5 watts to 5 watts. From 20 meters to 10 meters 1.25 watts to .75 watts. 6 meters 5 watts. The list of what I have done it too long but I have tried everything to get 5 watts on all bands. Also note for about 5 min I DID get 5 watts on all bands. At that time I had the case off and the boards out. My fear/concern is a cracked PCB, or a cold solder joint. Just curious to know if anyone has had this problem? Also what is common wih 160 to 30 meter and 20 meters to 10 meters as far as say a relay.or other device that might have a bad joint Harry.... harrylatterman@yahoo.com

Comments

• Ernest - W4EG
    Ernest - W4EG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Options
    As a long fan of Flex radios... This is the first time in approximately10 years being a Flexer that anyone has ever mentioned a cracked PC board! Unless the previous owner cracked it... Do you think that may be the reason you got such a fantastic DEAL?
  • H L
    H L Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Thinking about what I saw yesterday I will have to agree the quality of the PCB is excellent. However not the last owner, but one of the previous owners **** up the BNC and broke it off the board. He then did a **** poor job of gluing it back and trying to solder a ground strap across it. I cleaned that up last night. Figured if he did that maybe other damage was done. Since for a few minutes I had full power on ALL bands doing the TUNE and it went away when I put it all back in the box then something like a cracked board or cold solder joint might be the cause....I am heavily leaning toward a cold solder joint based on having to find and fix SMD boards in the past. Time to get a webcam out and do some serious looking. The person I got it from I do believe he was unaware of the problem. You can not tell from looking at the PowerSDR display since it does not show real power out, but where you set the drive. No real SWR I found out. So if he always saw 100% why doubt it. People make contacts with peanut power every day. Besides he used it mostly on 160 and 6 meters 160 is putting out almost 4 watts and 6 meters 5 watts. I do believe from the half a dozen emails we have shared that he was clueless to this problem He used the radio for a lot of SWL it appeared. He love the pan adpator so much he went out and got a Excaliber SDR RX. In any case I emaile Flexsytems tech support last night also. Waiting for response. Might set up a webcam and get a **** of coffee and so some looking at each and every solder joint. As I said I have had to do this before. Thank your for your time writing back. 73 Harry k7zov
  • Ernest - W4EG
    Ernest - W4EG Member ✭✭
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Some time a good buy may be not. Dudley and the group at FRS will treat you well and get that problem resolved. It appear that the damage was caused by the previous owner. I had a F1.5K that I used in my car and the garage; that radio was indestructible.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Harry - I see you have a HelpDesk ticket on this issue so I am going to close this Community topic.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.