Very high internal noise in the 6600

• Problem
  • Updated 2 months ago

Hello,

I need some help with this. All the sudden the 6600 blinked a few times and now has a very high -65 dbm internal noise level on all modes and all bands. I can switch to the second antenna port and it does the same. I put the same antennas on the Icom 7300 sitting right next to it and all is well. You can see on the video when I tap lightly on the case the noise fluctuates. When this started I was sitting at may desk and not in front of the radio. So I can not say what may have triggered this event.  I did not reload the software because a couple of times it went back to normal for a few seconds. The problem now remains but the level changes a little when I tap on the case as seen in the video. Anyone have any idea what is going on?

Thank you for the help. 73, Dan KM6CQ

https://youtu.be/qOdz2UVMwqg
Photo of KM6CQ - Dan

KM6CQ - Dan

• 170 Posts
  • 33 Reply Likes

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Terry Tankersley

Terry Tankersley

• 56 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Hi Dan, did u fix the heat sinks?Terry
Photo of KM6CQ - Dan

KM6CQ - Dan

• 170 Posts
  • 33 Reply Likes
No, Flex just worked on it, I thought they would have done it since they did not send me the kit, maybe not.
I guess I better look inside, I half way suspected that. But I am not a big fan of pulling the cover off a $4000 radio. I will check it out. .

Thank you Terry.  Dan
(Edited)
Photo of Terry Tankersley

Terry Tankersley

• 56 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I remember when u got the radio after the fan replacement. I would pull the cover off and look.
Terry k7NY
Photo of N8SDR

N8SDR

• 107 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
That sound like the heat sink issue, when they come off the noise floor increases.
Photo of YV5WZ

YV5WZ

• 382 Posts
  • 47 Reply Likes
How fast temperature goes up? to produce  9 +40 Noise floor OMG
Photo of KM6CQ - Dan

KM6CQ - Dan

• 170 Posts
  • 33 Reply Likes
The problem was both heatsinks had fallen off and one was bridging something on the board. I removed the failed heatsinks and the radio works normally now. In the picture you can see where the heatsinks landed.

Dan

(Edited)
Photo of WX7Y

WX7Y

• 536 Posts
  • 98 Reply Likes
Dan, until you get the Heat Sink kit you can place the heat sink back on the chip and use nylon ties to secure them.
The new heat sinks go on the back of the board when you get them.
Bret
WX7Y
Photo of YV5WZ

YV5WZ

• 382 Posts
  • 47 Reply Likes
Flex just worked on it, I thought they would have done it since they did not send me the kit, maybe not.
Beg your pardon if I did not understand, your equipment just came from flex....didn't it?
Photo of KM6CQ - Dan

KM6CQ - Dan

• 170 Posts
  • 33 Reply Likes
I shipped the radio back to Flex on 7/16 and it arrived back here today 8/1. They did the PEN update on it. It is working well. I am satisfied with their service. 

73, Dan