Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Versions v 1.10.16 radio and v 2.0.17 radio on same network and one PC

Options
K3SF
K3SF Member ✭✭✭
edited March 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
The condrum i present is how to setup a PC on a Lan that has one Flex running ssdr V1.x  and another flex radio running ssdr V2.x..

It is my understanding that DAX/CAT of V1.x and V2.x are different and that they can not be installed on the PC at the same time.

A corollary to this above Lan setup would be a WAN setup, where my home setup is flex radio running V1.x but a friends offer me to connect via smartlink to his flex radio running V2.x.

Question,  can V2.x SSDR Dax/Cat on the PC  work with a Flex radio running ssdr V1.x? This implies that the PC is running SSDR V1.x
with V2.x Dax/CAT installed.

Thanks for any insight for proper configuration for these setups.

Answers

• Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I do this on my LAN. Use a filter.txt file on each computer. Search the manual for details. Mack W4AX Alpha Team
  • K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Options
    hi mack

thank you for your response

i could not find in the SSDR Software User Guide for V2.x dated 25july2017 any reference to the filter.txt setup.
    but
    i understand about the use of the filter.txt file to help the PC SSDR in choosing a single flex radio or even a reduced list from the helpdesk pages on filter.txt

In my case , I assumed it would not be necessary as each flex radio would be running different version of SSDR. One radio running SSDR V1.x and the other running SSDR V2.x. 

Sorry i guess i didnt make myself clear.
    My real question is can both DAX /CAT  V1.x and DAX/CAT V2.x be installed simultaneously on the same PC without causing any issues to running both SSDR V1.x and SSDR V2.x on the PC.

...Note.... that i do not intend to be running  SSDR V1.x and V2.x on the PC at the same time. Other than DAX/CAT conflicts i dont see why i should not be able to run a ssdr v1.x and ssdr v2.x simultaneously

• Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Sorry, I misunderstood the original question. One same same PC you can have 1.10.x loaded and then load 2.0.17 on the same computer. I have at least 20 versions (I need to go clean some out) of various Alpha SSDRs and they work fine. I have hardware and software that I test with 1.10.x and I simply select the version I want to run from the Start menu for my 6500 running 1.10.x and my 6700 running 2.0.17 each work without upgrades. 

I'm 99% sure the CAT and DAX from 2.0.x are backwards compatible with 1.10.x. Hopefully this will get you going.

Mack
    W4AX
    Alpha Team
  • K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Options
    hi Mack

that is what i was hoping would be the case.

right now i am without a flex radio to test with...
    i did a trade in of my 6300 for 6600M so i could not actually test it myself.

This also helps answer another question of a friend who we hope will be able to remote into my 6600M when i get it setup here.  He currently runs a 6300 with V1.10.x.  So having both ssdr V1.10 and V2.0.x on his PC was a concern he had too.

your real life experience with the s/w is the best kind of answer.

thanks

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited July 2017
    Options
    DAX and CAT 2.0 are NOT backward compatible with SmarSDR v1
  • Gary L. Robinson
    Gary L. Robinson Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I wonder if it would be possible to run ONE of the radios in a Virtual Machine on the same machine?
  • K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Tim
    Thanks for the Official response.  That is what i thought but really needed to be verified explicitly as i was not able to find it in any documentation.

So as a followup question.

How does FRS recommend installing both ssdr v1.x and v2.x  on a single PC which has a network of flex radios running with one running ssdr V1.x and  the other flex radio running ssdr V2.x?

• K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Gary

yes that is possible as the VM and the real PC it (aka the host) is running on are effectively two independent machines...

i have run a win7 VM running DAX/CAT and cwskimmer connected to my flex 6300 and at the same time the host was a MAC mini running macos and dogparkSDR connect to the flex 6300 for panafall display and control.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.