Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Version 3.x a no go

2»

Comments

• Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Looks like you have Internet Sharing already enabled, or you did not choose the two interfaces (your WiFi and your active Ethernet interfaces) that need to be bridged. You can use either Internet Sharing to do what you want, OR bridging, but not both. If you go into the “Properties” for the WiFi interface, in the “Shaing” pane/panel, you can uncheck sharing. (MAke sure the Ethernet interface also has the “Sharing” checkbox cleared. Then in the Bridging configuration, choose the WiFi and Ethernet interfaces that need to be bridged.
  • KC0EM
    KC0EM Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019

Ted,

Thanks, I am not sure if the cable companies going to make it through the snow today or not. I couldn't blame them they don't make it. It shouldn't be this difficult to upgrade software. Even Microsoft does it! As much as I love my Flex, I'm about 90% sure I'm going to sell my 6500. I think the simplest thing Flex could do is use a key to unlock upgrades. You could purchase the key after you download software. This morning I was on my ICOM 7100 and was talking about my problems with the software upgrade. When I was asked if I would recommend Flex, I said no! It's sad to see such a simple thing causing so much trouble for them.
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited April 2019
    The others do this in your situation is that they then move the radio to their modem with the power supply and a LAN cable connected to the Modem/Router.

Turn the radio on, wait 5 minutes and then turn the radio off and move it back to your operating location.  Your radio is now correctly authorized.

Another solution is to use a set of PowerLine adapters available from Amazon such as these:  https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Powerline-TL-PA7020-Certified-Refurbished/dp/B07FTQGQSC/ref=sr_1_17

This will create a hard wired lan connection by  using your house wiring.

Mike

• Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I still think the Network Bridge option is the best solution. I agree with Ted's last comment. You can do this!
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    The way to make it “bulletproof” would have been to disable installations that don’t meet an expected configuration. Obviously that would make more people unhappy than having to coach a few through the process. Fortunately FRS has a great Help Desk system and the skills to help us through these obstacles. As an Alpha I needed some help getting some of my gear fully provisioned, and our friends at FRS had my hardware registration issues sorted very quickly. Of course I may not have reread the instructions which basically self-inflicts problems.... The balance between flexibility and conformity is tough to make one-size-fits-all. 73 Steve K9ZW
  • KC0EM
    KC0EM Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019

Mike,

The cable guy was here with the long CAT 6 cable. He plugged it into the modem in the garage and showed my wife where it was. I'm disabled and cannot reach that area of the garage. Because it's snowing, we didn't try running it out the garage door around the house into the front door and into this room. He also didn't want to get stuck and left right away. We will try it once the snow stops. It will accomplish the same thing as moving the radio out to the garage. The cable guy will come back sometime next week and pick up the CAT 6 cable. For your information, because of my computer work, I have a 1Gb, both up and download, connection. The system is working in the 5 GHz band. The files I deal with are often as long as three or four full-length movie files all tied together. Thanks for your suggestion.
  • KC0EM
    KC0EM Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020

Hi,

The saga of version 3.x upgrade continued today. Yesterday if you remember, the cable guy left a CAT 6 cable connected to the modem in the garage but it was snowing heavily so we didn't try to bring it into the house. Today it was still snowing. We call it the 102nd-day-of-January. I am disabled, so it was my wife who had to slog through the snow to bring the cable into the house. The large rubber seal on the bottom of the garage door made it possible to just run it out under the door and then we opened a window, brought the cable in, and used a towel to close the window on the cable. The first thing I did was plug the cable into the back of the computer and turn off the Wi-Fi. It was a good solid connection and I even ran a speed test. It was slightly better than using Wi-Fi. Then I switched the cable over to my 6500 and attempted to update. It was still a no go. One of the comments here was to just leave the radio connected to the Internet, so I did – for three hours. It was still a no go. I gave up.

I reinstalled version 2.1.30. The 6500 is working again. I've given up on Flex. I started looking for another radio. I looked at the Icom 7610 and the Apache Labs Anan 8000 series either the hundred watts or 200 W version. With both those brands, there are no problems with upgrades to their software. Apache uses open source software. Icom offers free software and I know from a friend who owns one that the 7610 upgrade was painless.

Thanks all of you offered to help me. It would've been much easier without this major snowstorm and if I was not disabled and could do things for myself.

“VC”

• Burch - K4QXX
    Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    If you get a Apache Labs radio,  you will still need to deal with software updates.  Anans are good radios but they are not without their issues.  I have a friend of mine that just bought a Anan 7000 and when he did a software update, it bricked his radio.  At least you were able to downgrade to V2 and make your radio usable again.
  • KC0EM
    KC0EM Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I think that's the problem with all SDR radios. Version 3.x bricked my 6500. Icom hasn't had that problem with the two SDR radios they have on the market.
  • Burch - K4QXX
    Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Your radio wasn't bricked if you were able to reinstall V2.  I know it is discouraging that you couldn't get V3 running but at least you can use your radio now with V2.
  • N9VC
    N9VC Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    If your radio was bricked, downgrading to 2.1.30 would not have brought it
    back. Read the instructions about upgrading an ICOM. just make sure there
    is no power interruption, otherwise you will know what a bricked radio is. 
  • KC0EM
    KC0EM Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I have been reading some of the discussion groups about both the Apache hardware and the software they're using. I've seen several comments about "bricked radios." The solution seems to be the same as what I did going back to version 2.x – reinstalling the software. The hardware is much more interesting. I recently took a course in programming FPGA's. I learned to use HDL – just enough to understand it as I am not about to go into programming FPGA's. The language is very similar to C, so it's easy for someone with experience in that language to pick it up. I found it a fun exercise. 
  • KC0EM
    KC0EM Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    These new radios should be called direct sampling radios. All that I have seen rely upon FPGA's and from there is just a matter of programming. It is just like it is with the computer and you can turn any computer into a brick with wrong programming. Replace it with good programming and you have a functional computer again. There are a couple of so-called languages for programming FPGA's. They are all labeled DHL, but the one I played with is by Verilog and the syntax is very similar to C. If you'd like to learn a bit more about them, try this website as it has all minicourse on it. https://numato.com/kb/learning-fpga-verilog-beginners-guide-part-1-introduction/
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited April 2019
    The apache is a radio if you really like to tinker with all the settings.  You want to make sure that you talk to Apache  about both hardware and software warranty service and what is required if you need help.   Ask where do they do their hardware service too.

I 'think' their support is crowd based and they do not have paid support staff in North America.  I could be wrong, but when I tried to find out a few years ago, it was a bit unclear.    Flex, of course, is 100% built and supported here in Austin TX.   

Mike

• Burch - K4QXX
    Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    My friends Anan had to be sent in for service to get un-bricked.  Wasn't able to roll back to a prior version.  I believe the issue with your radio was it couldn't update the license so it wouldn't let you run V3.  It wasn't bricked as you were able to reinstall the older software.  A computer usually won't get bricked unless a bios firmware update goes bad.   Most people never update their system bios so bricked computers are pretty rare.  Biggest issues with broken computers are bad hard drives.  I work in IT and the solid state drives caused me many issues several years ago.  They are much better now with much lower fail rates.

Your comments on FPGA programming is interesting.  I coded a lot of C back when I was in college but haven't coded in a long time.  Where did you take your FPGA course?

Sorry to get off topic.
  • Mike-VA3MW
    edited April 2019
    I would have to agree.  A bricked radio means that you are not able to do anything with it and you need the factory to reload the software.   FRS goes to amazing pains of testing and retesting to ensure that this does not happen.   Your radio was not bricked.
  • KC0EM
    KC0EM Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Here is a great online course that I first took https://numato.com/kb/learning-fpga-verilog-beginners-guide-part-1-introduction/ I have done a great deal of low-level programming – machine etc. I had good luck bricking computers – big grin!
  • KC0EM
    KC0EM Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020

Mike,

This is my second Flex. I started with the 6300 without a tuner before I got a 6500. There would be no way I would change if it wasn't for the upgrade problems. I went through **** getting version 2.x running. There has to be a simple solution that Flex can find. I saw no attempt to do that with version 2.x after so many of us have problems upgrading. I say that because version 3.x is presenting the same problems. Ham radio is my hobby. While I can enjoy the frustration of not being able to work rare DX, I don't want to fight with my equipment.
  • Burch - K4QXX
    Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I wrote some assembler code back in the day on Motorola 68000 chips.  They were much easier to program than the 8088 Intel platform.  Thanks for the info on the course. 
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    @KC0EM

Suggestion - ask FRS if you sent your radio in would they give it a look-over and install your v3 update? The few bucks will be cheap compared to a radio swap. Or consider trading it in for a newer Flex.

Or perhaps there is an area ham (your QTH is kind of out of the way) who could run interference for you?

Unless you are eager to exchange one set of foibles & needs for a whole new set of foibles & needs where you’re having to restart your product/specific learning curve, or a switch somehow appeals more to you than being creative, I’d reach out for some help. There is s good risk that you’re going to not get anywhere good in a vendor swap no matter to which one.

Just suggestions to one vet from another, and as I am not you, YMMV.

GL & 73

Steve
    K9ZW
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    VC... BOTH the radio and the rig must have internet connection at the same time for the update to occur, if you are updating (Purchasing) a license.  If that means having the rig connected to the CAT5/6 cable and the computer connected via Wifi, that should work.  Reboot both the rig and computer and then start over with the update process.  

Another often-skipped step I have found is that you often must do a cold reboot of the rig before and after updating just to get all the processors in line.  Then things are usually fine.

I suspect that you have gotten things "halfway" updated and then it stalled due to internet connection problems. 

Please don't give up.  You are almost there......

If your license purchase didn't get registered properly, the guys at Customer Service can get you sorted quickly, now that you have internet to the radio and computer at the same time.  Please stay in touch with them.

Ken - NM9P
  • Eric-KE5DTO
    Eric-KE5DTO Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited April 2019
    Mike,

If the radio has internet access, the update process is generally pretty painless and straightforward.  This has proven true for the numerous upgrades that have taken place this week following the v3 launch. 

If you'd like for us to remote in via Teamviewer and take a look, we'll be happy to do that.  Just say the word and we'll initiate a helpdesk ticket and I'm confident we can get you taken care of.

If you've already made your decision, I can respect that.  I just wanted to make the offer.  In either case, we just want you to be happy.  This is a hobby after all and it should bring you joy.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited April 2019
    I know it may be difficult for you but a 5 port Ethernet switch at the end of the long cable they loaned you then both the radio and pc plugged into the switch would probably solve your problem. Any hams you know locally? And remember about the 7610. An upgrade is not going to give you new functionally like the Flex upgrades give. You can’t add more buttons and knobs through firmware on the 7610. The 7300 is a very similar architect to the 7610 and has been out a while. How many new features have been added through firmware? Might be jumping from the frying pan into the fire if you sell the Flex. But again, you need to be happy. If you lived closer I would help. Dave wo2x
  • KC0EM
    KC0EM Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Steve,

This whole thing is very reminiscent of early Microsoft updates and upgrades. It's very dangerous for the company because even today people are suspicious of Microsoft updates and upgrades. I have not made a decision what I'm going to do with my 6500. I'm leaning towards the Icom 7610.
  • KC0EM
    KC0EM Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    You are most welcome. All I ever did was see if what I wrote would run in the simulations. I did not really want to play with the FPGA's -– grin
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Steve, I have been following this conversation and I do understand your frustrated with good reason. But you need to consider the problems your having upgrading is very rare. By far most have little to no problems upgrading. This is something Flex has really exelled in, no pain updates and all automated.

I would wait for a while to buy your 7610, they have been having a lot of screens failing and being replaced. I heard that Icom has found another supplier of screens for the 7610 and they are testing them to see if  they will last.

And if you ever want to run the 7610 remote, you have to buy the remote software.
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I have to jump in here! If you enjoy the panadapter on the 6500, you will be entirely disappointed with the 7610 - it is tiny and inflexible. Be sure you find someone who has the radio you do decide to buy, and “test drive” it - be sure you like it. You need to be happy with your radio to enjoy the hobby. That said, I have done a number of software updates to my Flex, and have had zero trouble. However, you must realize that SOME setup is required. Either you have a small switch with your computer and radio attached to it, OR you configure your PC to provide Internet to the attached radio. Totally trivial to set up, takes 5 minutes and many here will give you assistance, either on the telephone or through use of remote screen sharing. The folks in this community are infinitely patient and helpful. Ted VE3TRQ
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Ted, that's the Canadian way?  lol
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I think KC0EM grew up in Canada too!

He's located near to Bemidji, Minnesota if we have any community members near him willing to have a look at his networking issues.

https://www.qsl.net/bemidji/ is a nearby radio club if you know any of there folk - there are over 180 listings for licencees in Bimidji and Solway itself.  

You can't solve a problem in a forum it the problem's owner doesn't want to it solved.

The Teamveiw offer sounded awesome.

Using UPS to have FRS do it direct is a possibility.

Likely someone out of his local area would respectfully help out a disabled Vet with some techie type issues.

The 500+ mile distance from my QTH rules my working a helpful stop into my work travels, though it might work for someone else.

The upgrade is easy, and every bit as easy at any of the alternatives VC is considering.  

Or perhaps the upgrade issues are an exercise to justify a change in radio he'd like to make?  That works too.

It's VC's shack and his choices.

Steve
    K9ZW
  • KC0EM
    KC0EM Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Hi everyone,

Eric fixed the problem. This is a new house and wired for high-speed internet access. We have 1 Gb service. There is a modem in the garage. There is not a router anywhere. Central in the house there is a little black box (literally black) that established a WiFi hotspot. It is not a router! I opened it and it uses a WiFi chip and a couple of other chips. My 6500 is directly plugged the computer. Eric found a means to get the update done without a router. I could not ask for more-- Thanks Eric.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.