Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Version 3 - Network bridge & switch

AC9S
AC9S Member ✭✭
edited December 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
I am about to upgrade to Version 3.  Unfortunately my DSL modem/router is upstairs and my shack is in the basement - no way to get a physical CAT connection from my radio switch, a GS108, to the router.  In reading Tim's instructions on Network Bridging I wonder if I can simply bridge to the GS108 or do I need to connect directly to the 6700, that is a CAT connection directly from computer to 6700?

Thanks for any input.

Keith - AC9S

Answers

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited April 2019
    The easiest way would be to connect the LAN cable to  a laptop with a NetWork adapter, then turn on Internet Connection Sharing on the laptop, assuming the laptop has a WiFi connection.

Or, you could do all the licensing on the PC - get paid up, take the radio and a power supply to the modem, plug in the power supply and the LAN cable into Router and the Radio.  Turn on the radio.  Wait 5 minutes for it to call home, power it down and you should be done.  

The actual licensing process is handled by the radio connection to the Internet.

Mike

• AC9S
    AC9S Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I think I'll do the latter.  Thanks so much for the prompt input.

Keith - AC9S
  • K1DLM
    K1DLM Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Keith - Do you run a Wi-Fi network in your home?  I think the easiest thing would be to use a Wi-Fi to ethernet bridge to connect the radio into your home network.  This would offer more functionality to you over time, such as the ability to operate your radio from anywhere in the house or even remotely.  If you don't already have Wi-Fi, a number of the new Wi-Fi mesh solutions (like Eero, for example) also offer bridging as part of the package.
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    If I understand you correctly, you have WiFi on your PC for Internet access, and your PC and your radio are both connected to a GS108. If that is the case, it should be adequate to set up the PC WiFi connection to do internet sharing - that should allow your radio, connected to the PC thru your switch, to pass thru the PC via its WiFi and get to the Internet. You will need to reboot (restart the network on) your radio so it wil get the appropriate gateway information from the PC AFTER it has had Internet sharing enabled. That is the way it works with Linux Internet sharing anyway - I’d need to verify that Windows does the same thing (i.e. passes gateway information to devices on the network interface it is sharing to the Internet), but I can’t imagine it working any other way. I’ll do some verification that Windows truly does work that way. (Yup - works a treat!)
  • Ken Hansen
    Ken Hansen Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    At my shack I have a small device that was designed to connect a wired network connection on a device (PC, ROKU, XBOX, etc.) to your Wi-Fi network. This device is popular, about $40, just put it in "bridge mode" and your radio room will be a peer on your home network, just as if you ran a Cat5e cable from your radio to the router: https://www.microcenter.com/product/446256/tl-wr802n-n300-nano-wireless-n-router
  • Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    In Windows, besides Internet Connection Sharing,  you can also set up a bridged mode connection and use the existing network structure.
  • Dale LeStourgeon
    edited April 2019
    I also have a shack upstairs and impossible to run a cat5 cablle. I use a ASUS wireless ethernet adapter. just plug my 6400m into it with short ethernet cable and it works over home wiifi and so fast that I can run remotely from anywhere.
  • AC9S
    AC9S Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Thanks for all the input guys - what a great group.  My final solution (ominous sound) was to dig out an old wireless over the house wiring solution from a couple of years ago.  It is a pair of Netgear devices from Buy, maybe $40, one was plugged into my router upstairs and the other into my GS108 in the shack.  The upgrade was extremely smooth, especially when I remembered to power cycle everything. 

I can't say Version 3 is going to do much for me initially, but once the Maestro can operate as a control surface for SSDR it will.  The transmit interlock between Maestro and SSDR, in my case, is pretty cool.

Keith - AC9S
  • John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Thanks for the idea. I've been mulling over some network configuration changes, partly due to moving some antiquated equipment that needs wired  Ethernet. I'm going to try the power wiring approach first, before I start drilling/cutting/climbing in the attic to run more cat5.  

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.