Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Version 3 and Contesters and Bugs

Options
13»

Answers

• James Whiteway
    edited February 2019
    Options
    The short time I worked in software development for a local publishing company, we called "bugs" Undocumented Features. Management didn't find it near as funny as the development team! Fun experience in the past that I wish I could have continued with.
    James
    WD5GWY

• bahillen
    bahillen Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Paul You are exactly right in identifying methods, products and software that set the performance bar. Flex software or radio structure may not allow some solutions but maybe would be enlightening for the development team. At work we always evaluated competing equipment and researched academia to learn of best in class. To make a parallel, Flex engineering team is like a Cray computer but this community is like the distributed network. Your two suggestions are what we need more of. Can the Brown console connect to a Flex radio? It would be nice if I could channel solutions to the team without so much bandwidth. In looking at and thinking of the many responses, it seems that those with S9+ noise levels have a different set of priorities than those in a more Radio friendly environment. Both are important to Flex. The low sun spot part of the cycle does no favors to the stations with noisy environments. Some see the possibility of putting their Flex at a friends antenna farm. (V3) 73 Bill W9JJB
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Yes I have seen SDRConsole v3 working,,,very nice.  but is does not work on the Flex...As you know Flex has their own way to handle things, If the Flex receiver was so good I bet they would have continued the work on the DSP. For me it's does not matter so much when they get to working with it.

It would have been nice if Slice Master or FR Stacks had a DSP panel with filter settings such as NB ANF,  Since some are saying the filtering in the Flex should be easy.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Options
    To much work,,I know the noise mitigation works better then most of the filters on the Flex. I said most, because Flex did a wonderful job on the WNB filter. I know the coders can do the same sort of things if they have time to get back to it. But I'm happy to wait, things are just fine,,but yes I hope they can re visit this.
  • bahillen
    bahillen Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Bill (VA3WTB) NR has worked well for me with white noise/weak signals on high frequency bands. WNB has not shown an improvement probably because I haven’t had the appropriate noise that it affects. NB has not shown any help but I really don’t know the most effective setting. I know the setting process in the manual and the technical explanations but the practical application and techniques, have not been seen. Would make a good article for the website like the excellent one on proper use of AGC-T. By the way, AGC-T is the best I have seen. Bill W9JJB
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Yes, speaking of the AGC-T. This is a great tool, something any other radio misses. I always find that if I adjust it just right, the band noise is very low while hearing weak signals.
    But In saying that, I find setting the AGC-T a little lower then the knee that is recommended works best for me. I find the proper spot,,the knee to be still a little to noisy for my ears.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.