Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Ver 2 Update Instructions

Al Reeves
Al Reeves Member ✭✭
edited February 2018 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I'm about to update my 6300 to the latest V2 software.  Does anyone have any written detailed instructions to make the update go smoothly?  Will I loose all my settings with the upgrade?  Any assistance would be appreciated.

Al
W1JHU

Answers

• Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Hi Al

You should review the release notes.  You can find them on the web site in the download area.

Make sure your radio is plugged into your LAN and not connected directly to your computer.  The Radio has to make 1 quick internet call home to the Flex Licensing services.   

You should shut down DAX and CAT (but not required).

You do not need to uninstall previous versions of SmartSDR.

After you have downloaded V2, you can start the install and you will have to pay for the upgrade.  It is part of the software installation process.

Next, the radio will be updated to the new software after you pay.  Payment confirmation only takes a few moments.

Do not worry about the Login on the Radio Chooser screen, that is for SmartLink.

That should get you going.

73, Mike va3mw

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited February 2018
    I recommend doing an export of your profiles before any software upgrade too
  • Al Reeves
    Al Reeves Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Mike:

Thanks for your reply.  Currently my 6300 is plugged into my computer and my computer is connected to the internet via wireless adapter to a wireless router located in another room.  How do I handle this type of situation?

Al
    W1JHU
  • Al Reeves
    Al Reeves Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Thanks Tim.  I'll give that a try.  If successful should I then download and install ver 2?

Al
    W1JHU
  • Al Reeves
    Al Reeves Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Tim:

I setup the Bridge Connection according to instructions.  The computer works OK on the internet but the radio won't connect.  If I delete the bridge connection the radio connects all OK.  Any suggestions?

Al
    W1JHU
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited February 2018
    Yes.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited February 2018
    Did you reboot the radio after the bridge connection was established so the radio will get an IP address that will allow it access to the Internet?
  • Al Reeves
    Al Reeves Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Tim:

Yes, I did reboot in accordance with the procedure.  Now maybe I'm missing something.  After I established a bridge connection should I still be able to connect to the radio and operate as normal (with the bridge in place)?  Or is the bridge connection only used for the update and removed after the update is done?

Al
    W1JHU

• Tim - W4TME
    edited February 2018
    After I established a bridge connection should I still be able to connect to the radio and operate as normal (with the bridge in place)?

Yes.

I suspect something isn't working properly with the Windows setup.  Can you connect the 6000 to your network via a wired Ethernet connection just to get the license verified? 
  • Al Reeves
    Al Reeves Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Tim:

Yes, I think so.  Therefore, would the procedure be the following:

1. Have the radio connected to my PC.
    2. Download the V2 software via my PC's wireless internet connection.
    3. Run the downloaded software to install it on the radio and computer.
    4. At some point disconnect the LAN cable between the radio and PC and connect a wired Ethernet       cable to the radio LAN port.
    5. Not sure what will happen when the Ethernet cable is connected.  I will loose the ability of the 
        computer to talk to the radio for registration.  ????

What else??

Al
    W1JHU

• Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Hi Al

You got it. That will work.

Or, you can move the Radio LAN cable to the Wired Ethernet now and do the update.  If that works for you in a wiring sense, you can leave it like that full time without any impact.

Like this:

• Tim - W4TME
    edited February 2018
    When the radio boots up connected to the LAN cable, it will go out over the Internet and get the license.  You only need to do this once.
  • Al Reeves
    Al Reeves Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    HELP HELP  Downloaded and installed V2 in accordance with our previous emails.  Unable to register.  Called Flex and can't get any one to talk to.  Grrrrrr...  Will some one please call me ASAP.  I'm out of business!!!
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited February 2018
    Please submit a support ticket via our HelpDesk (https://helpdesk.flexradio.com) so we can assign you a case number.  For details on how to submit a HelpDesk support ticket, please refer to the following URL: http://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/202118688-How-to-Submit-a-Request-for-Technical-Supp...   Once the support ticket is submitted, a support engineer will be in contact so we can work on the issue.
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Hi Al

While you are waiting for the guys to get back to you, you can run your V1 SmartSDR software that  you already have installed if it is a 6300/6500/6700.  

That will get you back on the air so you are not out of business.

Also, watch Dave's video  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Umt3q0Uwk0Y if you have not already.

Mike

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.