Ver 2 features question

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
It seems many others are already doing WAN connections - some from Paris, some connecting to their vacation homes, with software already available.

I have wondered what features do they and others not doing WAN yet, expect in the version 2 of the SSDR software? 

Many a simple one-mouse-click to do all the background work to make WAN possible from anywhere in the world?
Better controls of the radio / amplifiers and antennas?
A Flex and a Maestro and you get to throw away the computer?  Throw away all the third-party software?
Something else? 

I am not asking Flex for an answer, but perhaps the expectations from people who have already conquered the WAN world - in a very successful manner - already.

Cheers !
Photo of Walt

Walt

• 236 Posts
  • 75 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9154 Posts
  • 3507 Reply Likes
Good question.  For the current VPN deployments, you have to use third-party hardware (a router that supports VPN or a RPi3) and software to establish a VPN tunnel.  You may have to mess with your router to punch holes in your firewall and you need to configure the VPN software to establish the VPN tunnel.

The Remote Access via the Internet feature (also called WAN remote) will be for most users completely transparent.  You start SmartSDR, request to connect to your radio, establish a secure session and start using it.  Not a single mouse click, but pretty darn close. Some folks that have a more complicated firewall setups (you know who you are <wink>) may have to do a little more initial configuration, but we figure if you have implemented this, then it will be a no-brainer.
Photo of Walt

Walt

• 236 Posts
  • 75 Reply Likes
WOW - Hot Stuff !

For a guy who stays away from routers if at all possible, that is great news. 

Sounds like my upgrade will be ordered up when offered - like Howard, I am getting tired of hauling the KX3 around, even though it is a very nice radio.  And internet to the bush is getting lower in price and higher in bandwidth.

Thanks Tim !!