Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Variable AGC Time Constants

Jim K4JAF
Jim K4JAF Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
In some future update, can the AGC action be made variable for the 3 AGC speeds? I find slow a bit fast for general rag chewing on ssb. 73s Jim K4JAF
5 votes

Open for Comments · Last Updated

Comments

• W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    that's curious, I find 'fast' is a bit slow for the static crashes on 160m cw.. hey, XV2TT is QRV on top band, and I can't hear him...
  • Jim K4JAF
    Jim K4JAF Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I am not an expert CW operator by any means so cant comment on the Fast setting. I like a bit slower SLOW to cut out some of the noise on Normal Rag Chewing sessions on 75. Perhaps if variable, could please more of us (Everyone, a tall order). Just a thought for things to come in the future, many other "Basic" upgrades have priority. 73s Jim K4JAF
  • W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    well, i'm no expert weak signal cw dx low band operator...but i think "Fast" is still a touch too low for summer QRN on 160m...golly, didn't PowerSDR spoil us, or what ?? 73 w5xz
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I would assume any quality rig should have totally variable AGC time constants for attack, decay, hang, sensitivity,etc. I will hope that this is added to a future update. (Yes, I really love the AGC on PSDR).
  • Alan, K2WS
    Alan, K2WS Member
    edited February 2015
    I'd like to see Hang AGC as described by Phil, VK6APH put into SmartSDR! It was implemented in PowerSDR. The hang time is also variable. So when a strong signal disappears from the passband, longer then the hang time interval, the receiverl gain recovers. When there is no signal in the passband or high level low duty cycle signals like strong impulse noise, the decay time is fast, to ensure the AGC will not get hung up on these noise pulses. With hang AGC you get the quiet moments between voice syllables or CW elements as with slow AGC, yet the AGC recovers fast allowing weaker signals to be heard! Cool stuff.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    Alan, SmartSDR has an improved AGC algorithm that is based on the quintessential work of Phil VK6APH along with others.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.