Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

V 1.2.1 So many good things!

Options
Michael - N5TGL
Michael - N5TGL Member ✭✭
edited October 2018 in SmartSDR for Windows
I'm sitting here listening to Radio International China on 7.210 with SAM.  They're running 20k wide (!) and the audio quality is simply stunning.  Actually using the full range of the Grado SR-80's that I normally use for radio.  The waterfall is accurate enough that when they were playing music, I could actually SEE the flute trills clearly displayed.  The zoom level is amazing.

Quick record/playback works great, I know the save to file is coming in a future release, but I wish I could save this transmission I'm listening to now.  (probably could do that with DAX i suppose?)

DEXP also works great, nice to have that back.  I already mentioned the processor in another post, but it works well also.  I do need to build a mic preamp for my RE320.  Even with the +20dB and the mic gain cranked all the way, I'm still falling quite short of the 0, in the -10 range for my peaks in a normal speaking voice.

Seeing the waterfall scroll seamlessly with the panadpater is pretty sweet too.  You guys really delivered some amazing updates with this newest release.  Thanks for the new radio guys!!

Comments

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Michael - I use a mic pre for all of my dynamic and wide diaphragm condenser mics.  I want all of my mic input gain coming from the first stage in the audio chain so I can achieve the highest SNR possible.  If I feed a 0 dB signal into the balanced line in, my mic gain setting is only 5 with no +20 boost.  I am using a relatively inexpensive Studio Projects VTB1 V Series tube mic pre.  For what I paid for it, it sounds really good.
  • Michael - N5TGL
    Michael - N5TGL Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Yeah, agreed the pre is needed.  I found a design for an INA217 (the so-called $5 preamp) that I'm going to build.  Figured out a power supply for it, so now I just need to get the parts and build the thing.  :)  If it works, I'll share what I came up with here.  I'm hoping for all said and done to be in the $30 range.
  • W1RE
    W1RE Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I am using a Heil PR40 and an using an ART Tube MP mic pre-amp. Works and sounds great.  Never could get sufficient mic level w/o the pre-amp even with the +20dB setting..

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.