Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

v3 Upgrade Price for Less than One Year Owners

Scott Russell - N1SER
Scott Russell - N1SER Member ✭✭
edited March 2020 in New Ideas
Would Flex consider giving a discounted upgrade path to SmartSDR v3 for those users that purchased a new radio within 1 year of the v3 release. Perhaps $99 instead of the full price? Many software companies do this very thing even out for years after an initial purchase at full price.

Can Flex meet those of us at least half way on the new version price instead of charging us full price for a product less than a year old? This would go a long way in providing assurance that Flex has our (it's customers) concerns in mind when making business choices like this.

Thank you.

Scott N1SER

Comments

• James Skala
    James Skala Member
    edited December 2019
    Or even better If you bought a previous upgrade i.e. 2.x then you get 3 at a discounted rate.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019

Think Flex should charge a hundred dollars a year to use the software with free upgrades.
  • Scott Russell - N1SER
    edited December 2019
    I agree James. Just about every company that sells software does something like this... at least some discount. I've purchased some software and several versions later have upgraded and received a discount.
  • wayne schonfeld
    edited March 2019
    Sounds like a reasonable request-but know this.  Version 2.0 came out only in August of 2017.  That's less than 2 years ago and all of us who have owned the radios for several years paid for it-full price.  If you don't need the new features, don't upgrade.  They upgrade their software about every two years.
  • James Skala
    James Skala Member
    edited March 2019
    Ill pay the full amount, but look at the software subscription model.  Even major OS manufactures provide free upgrades and free feature sets.  Now major version changes you pay a discounted upgraded rate.  

There are several different business models way of thinking.

Not saying Flex is doing anything wrong or bad but maybe think outside the box when it comes to software.
  • Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Flex already offers a decent discount.  If you bought the radio or 2.0 within the past six months, 3.0 is free. 
  • Scott Russell - N1SER
    edited March 2019
    Now see... KF4HR... it amazes me you have to turn this into a bitching thread with your attitude. I'm posting a simple idea that the majority if not all of software companies do... give discounted upgrades. I don't care what Icom, Kenwood or Yaesu do, I'm talking about Flex and their software, not hardware. You can call it penny pinching all you want but it's more standard practice these days. And so what.. what is wrong with wanting to save a "penny" or two here or there. Shesh!
  • Steven WA8Y
    Steven WA8Y Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    What about those of us that bought the radio at Dayton and waited almost a year to get it. Can we get a discount?
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Considering that the $200.00 only covers some of the cost to develop the software, it seems very reasonable. This is a good deal.

In Canada, It will cost me just over $300.00.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    The community is not a place to ask about policy. There isn't anyone here that can answer. So why bother? Contact Flex...
  • mlstutler
    mlstutler Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    What is sad is coming to the forum to ask Flex for discounts or complaining about software costs when no one here can do anything about it.   Why not take your requests directly to Flex and let the forum do what it is intended for,  helping folks with operational issues.  
  • Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited March 2019
    Because...

"If you have questions to ask or feedback to give, you've come to the right place. Our team does our very best to help out as fast as we can but it’s always beneficial to get input from the people who are using our products on a regular basis."

Unless, of course, you are the community's spokes person, moderator and sheriff and are changing the reason this community board exists.

This isn't Bill's way or the highway. Is it?
  • Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited March 2019
    But you can do something about it.

If you support his idea, say so. If not, fine. Why tell anyone that is asking a question or making a suggestion to take a walk?

I think it is fair to say this comes up often enough that FRS should reconsider or, as they are the actual owner of this board, remove any post they think think is inappropriate. That's not our job.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    So much anger here, Flex does not comment here in the comunity much any more if you have not noticed. Tim has been re asigned, and Mike fills in when time permits. Flex emplyees read the forum from time to time.

The question is a policy one, not a bad question and should be asked. But sending the question to Flex is the best thing to do.
  • Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited March 2019
    Uh huh.

No anger here. Disappointment and dismay. And not with FRS.
  • mlstutler
    mlstutler Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    But you can do something about it.

I just waved a magic wand.... All Flex radios and software are now free to all.   

Are you  happy now?

• Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited March 2019
    Me thinks your wand is all smoke and mirrors. Unhelpful.
  • Scott Russell - N1SER
    edited March 2019
    Thank you Kevin for your sarcastic sense of humor. It's sad that it's the truth. A year ago I was all about Flex Radio and couldn't wait to get my order. I spent hours at the Orlando Hamcation last year talking to the Flex guys and drooling over the Maestro and new radios. It's such a shame that in less than a year I'm feeling like the sucker and ostracized by this community for asking or should I say proposing a simple question. Like you said below why not either agree and say so or just leave it... I can say the same thing I hear "fellow" flexers say to those that oppose or question the cost of software upgrades... if you don't like the question or comment, then don't read it, just like "if you don't want to pay to upgrade then don't". It's a shame the minority rule over the majority on this community forum. I'm willing to be those making the most comments and always have something to say are not representative of the whole of this community. Sad, truly sad.
  • mlstutler
    mlstutler Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Flex is very much aware of how some of you feel about the costs of the upgrade.  They don't need me to tell them.   Coming to this forum about this issue is unhelpful.  Send Flex and email and tell them how you feel. 

As Bill stated the forum is the wrong place for this.   Go DIRECTLY to them if you feel so strongly about it.  

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    As I said, all these questions are fare, but if looking for a response from Flex this may not be the best place when asking something on policy matters.

This only comes up from the same guys all the times, by far most customers understand why Flex does things the way they do not have problems with paying for a new version.
  • Scott Russell - N1SER
    edited March 2019
    Thanks Bill for the thought out reply. I didn't know about Tim and did not realize Flex not commenting here much. My plan is to contact Flex about my idea... will probably not go anywhere but it's worth trying. In light of all the "free" upgrade talk in other threads I thought I'd propose a different idea and see what my fellow Flex community thought. That's all.
  • Scott Russell - N1SER
    edited March 2019
    Thank you again Kevin.
  • N9VC
    N9VC Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Here's a question, who's to say that the price for an
    upgrade isn't already being offered at a discount?
    I have always believed I can spend my money anywhere.
    If I feel I am not getting the most **** for the
    buck, I go elsewhere.
    I feel I have been getting a good value from Flex.You
    say one year grace for a reduced price. What about those
    that purchased 13 months ago. You're happy, but they're
    not. No matter where Flex sets the cut-off point, some
    will be unhappy.
    I do not believe KF4HR was 'bitching'. He merely gave
    his point of view just as you did. You opened this thread,
    he didn't.
    Obviously you only wanted those who think like you to reply.

73, Jim N9VC

• mlstutler
    mlstutler Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Scott,

You do have a valid question.  The problem is that I or anyone else here can't answer your question.   If you really want an answer please contact Flex directly.  Maybe you can negotiate something with them.  
  • Scott Russell - N1SER
    edited March 2019
    I understand Mike. I thought it was something to get a feel for how others thought about the price issues that's been floating around as an alternative and compromise. I just don't know where the attitudes come from within this community. We should all be working together to either help each other with issues and questions and to confront Flex if it's needed. As a group we can do more than just individuals. Flex may be the the owner of the technology but we are the ones with the $$. Flex wouldn't be in the ham radio business if it wasn't for it's customers. I guess that's my point, everyone stop bickering and let's make Flex work for us, not the other way around.
  • Scott Russell - N1SER
    edited March 2019
    Jim, your last comment is not true at all. I guess I just don't get why someone like you is opposed to lower costs? I mean do you really have money falling out of your pockets and love to pay more for things that you have to? I'm not trying to argue with you and I'm not angry with you. I just don't understand you're point of view. Maybe explain and I'll get it.

As for cost, yeah, who knows what it really costs Flex to provide the software updates and how much the costs cover. I don't. But, I find it hard to believe that if Flex could charge more for new versions. I think it would hurt them in the long run. But, maybe I'm wrong.

As for timing... I just put out there under a year. I think all new versions should be discounted no matter how long you've owned the hardware. You initially buy into the hardware and software when you make your initial purchase and then make the upgrades more affordable. In the end it was just an idea to see what others on here thought. I just don't like the snarky comments.

So maybe I'm confused at what Flex Radio is. Is it hardware or is it software or is it both? One without the other won't work and would be worthless. Right? Let's take Apple for example. They control the software and hardware. That model has benefits and works for them. For years now Apple has not charged for any OS upgrades, they are free. I'm not saying that model would work for Flex and I'm not saying all upgrades to SSDR should be free but rather make it more affordable.

In the end it was only an idea.
  • Scott Russell - N1SER
    edited March 2019
    Bill, I'm asking only because I don't know, not arguing. How do you know the $200 only covers some of the development cost? That sucks that it will cost you over $300.
  • wayne schonfeld
    edited March 2019
    Here's the difference.  An operating system upgrade fixes bugs but does not give you a new "gadget".  The major ($$) software upgrades so far from flex have added entirely new features.  Version 2 was Smart Link.  If you didn't want remote operation-skip the upgrade.  Version 3 is multioperator-again if you don't want this skip it.  By the way, Microsoft stops upgrading previous versions of their operating system (Windows 7 is being sunsetted soon).  Then you are forced to buy a new version and many times the hardware you have can't handle it.  So then you also need new hardware.  I have the same 6700 I bought in 2013 which didn't even have a waterfall in the first version.  No one wants to spend $200 every two years but their upgrades add new features.  I have Icom, Kenwood and Yaesu products-their free firmware upgrades do not give you anything new.  By the way, I don't work for Flex and I have been waiting for a power genius for two years-but I am still smiling.  So there

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.