Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

V2 yet another failed delivery

2»

Comments

• KD7CAO
    KD7CAO Member
    edited July 2017
    I have seen the posts, but I have been verbally told at HamCOM in Irving twice in two different years that it would be here by the end of x date. The latest being a June 30, 2017.
  • KD7CAO
    KD7CAO Member
    edited July 2017
    I have chosen to post on a Flex operated site rather than going to a public forum such as eHam, Twitter, Facebook, or the BBB because air would much rather see the company fulfill their promise to me that is now two years old than to totally smear the company. I posted here because Matt Youngblood my sales Rep keeps giving me dumb replies such as it will be here after 1.x.x. You have to understand I ordered the version 2 software as a guarantee of the original Flex 6700 because the one feature so needed was the remote operations. I was told at time of sale we can do that with version 2 it will ship within the year, that was within six months of my purchase date. I could post the email chains but, I don't think anyone really wants to go through all them.
  • KD7CAO
    KD7CAO Member
    edited July 2017
    I have been a part of this community for over two years waiting on failed promises.
  • KD7CAO
    KD7CAO Member
    edited July 2017
    All software is buggy. There is not one piece of software that works for absolutely everyone perfectly.
  • Ken Hansen
    Ken Hansen Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    There is a difference between shipping software with known bugs in it and finding bugs after release. So if Flex released SSDR 2.0 and the known bug impacted you, was something you wanted fixed/corrected/changed from SSDR 1.X, you'd be OK with it, because they released it on the promised date? I think not. Pretending otherwise is nonsensical.
  • mikeatthebeach .
    mikeatthebeach . Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    This reminds me of a joke
      A manager at my company wanted something in 1 month when it would take 9 months.
    Well, I said, we can get nine women to make a baby in 1 month, will that work ??
    The manager said, let's do it !
    Guess what, it took 9 months.....So, it will be ready when it's ready, no sooner !

• David-N5PSM
    David-N5PSM Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    June was not a promise,  It was an estimate.  I am patient.  Be glad that Flex has a good communication network not like DEM.
  • DR DEPRESSOR
    DR DEPRESSOR Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Well it's July 1st here on the east coast. However,  digital technology is unfortunately  not immune to glitches. This is part of the  building process .  Maybe if FR didn't advertise a release date then your frustration would be minimal.  As others have said you can still operate  your radio without a glitch no pun intended.  Were you planning on using the radio this weekend as a remote setup?  I am sure Gerald and his team are feeling the frustration as well,  while trying to deliver  this new  software package to those that need this important update.  But, then FR may have other issues when there is a continued pattern of not achieving deadlines as promised. I am new to FR  and did observe this with the delivery of the Maestro last year. They were a month late with the release which isn't so unreasonable. However ,there again money was tied up without a product but operate the radio without this added appliance. But, FR isn't immune to late delivery other companies face similar problems especially when electronics and software development  are involved such as with digital cameras.  Since there is a known delayed to advertised delivery dates at FR do we then assume that the new radios introduced at Dayton to be released for shipping  August/September time period will be slated for a later date?  This is the question that beckons us that either traded in or sold radios. If that does become an issue I would hope that FR would inform the amateur community that those dates previously advertised will be pushed back accordingly in a timely manner. That will be more frustrating as there is greater money is tied up with lost interest to be earned and potentially no product to be shipped or in some cases the inability to operate a station. I won't go any further since the clock is still ticking towards the August timetable. To be continued...
  • Mal
    Mal Member
    edited July 2017
    Flex 670+Maestro+Flex Control
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017

Now is a good time for the whiners to learn VPN. Regardless of whether I use it with SmartSDR, it is worth the time and effort to learn this mode of operation. It has opened the door not only using SmartSDR over the WAN, but other programs like the one that comes with the Antenna Genius. There has been a lot of help offered by the users group and they helped me over this ****. As I mentioned in another similar thread, I am glad it too this long. VPN and SmartSDR work wonderfully together!

Jim, K6QE

• Ed, K6VMV
    Ed, K6VMV Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    To Gerald, Tim, and the rest of the FRS crew.  I bought a 6300 a couple years ago and I have never had a problem.  I love the radio and I am impressed by the support Flex offers it's customers. Considering the complexity of the software, I would simply suggest that in the future instead of advertising a release date in magazines and websites, you consider stating "Coming soon".  Try not to pin yourself down on release dates.  Keep up the great work. 73, Ed, K6VMV 
  • NM1W
    NM1W Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Pat you are fortunate; There was a long thread on here with about 50 others who have experienced the rig crashing. I run cw, and digital; typically 4 wsjtx sessions, and a cwskimmer or two..
  • Tony WV2C
    Tony WV2C Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Dear Eric,
    Shut off the computer, the radio's, and the scanners. Please go outside for a long walk &
     Get a Life!  
  • Jd Dupuy
    Jd Dupuy Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    K9ZW, the biggest bully on this site. Always calls folks names and attempts to demean them. And he gets worse each time he makes a post. And he's labeled an "Elmer". One big chip on his shoulder too! Let's see you have used "ignorant" and "****" this time around.  You set a great example. More like you is what this community needs.
  • Gene - K3GC
    Gene - K3GC Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I am constantly amazed at the volume of harsh rhetoric on this site. Maybe I just don't get it.

I have enjoyed my 6500 for several years now.  I don't know how many SSDR updates there have been over that period of time but my radio is substantially different (better) than when i took delivery.  If it weren't I would still enjoy it.  I made my purchase decision based on what it was THEN not on some hope for the future.

If v2 were to never happen I would still have a really really good radio - one of the best there is.  I think my 6500 is the best there is next to the 6700 of course.

There are other perfectly good radios on the market for those who are dissatisfied with Flex,  I have had several other radios over the years - some better than others.  I have made a change when, to me, a better option was offered.

For those who feel that they have been let down, ripped off or otherwise abused by FRS I would suggest that you vote with your wallet; there is a brisk market for used radios.  If I were as angry as you I would be long gone.

I have spent enough time typing - I would rather be making contacts.
    73, Gene
  • Gerald-K5SDR
    Gerald-K5SDR FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Eric,

I have given everyone here the honest status of where v2 stands as of today.  If you were at Hamcom, you were able to see it SmartLink running live in the booth in early June.  We also operated a dozen stations around the world from Hamvention in May from Maestro, PC, and iOS devices.  At both events our entire team believed in our heart of hearts it would be out by the end of the month.  I did not know myself until early this week that we would not quite make it.

We are in the final stages of labor on this baby.  V2 is the only thing the software team has been working on for months.  Nothing you or others say here will speed it up or help your cause in any way.  You have made your point.  Further rehashing helps no one including yourself.  

Sincerely,
    Gerald 
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    @All - apologies if my words read harsher than intended.  That is not my goal for good communications and interaction.

Thank you to JD for pointing out they could be ready as bullying.  Ex-Army and working in the construction world, your ears would be ringing from my words if I really let it hang out.  

Facts are facts, and that includes if MY written words read poorly. Sorry folks!

Steve
    K9ZW
  • Gerald-K5SDR
    Gerald-K5SDR FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Eric, if all goes well it may go out as a RC on Monday to the alpha test team but it certainly will not go out to GA.  We have to go through a complete RC cycle without critical bugs before it goes GA.  
  • Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Wha, wha wha. Non stop crying. Let's all chip in for a box of Kleenex.
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    I think the moderators should close this thread down as it has devolved into something less than productive.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited July 2017
    That is seriously being considered.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.