V2 yet another failed delivery

• Problem
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Acknowledged
V2 Promise for June release is yet another vapor ware promise. A continuing saga that will break a company. Lack of proper communications to their customers, problems with over selling and under delivering. I am so disappointed to have done business with a company that fails to provide what they have promised.

What kills me even more is knowing I tried to do business with a Texas Based Company rather than ordering from somewhere else such as a Japanese company. It is now officially July 1, 2017 and we still do not have V2. I would much rather than have a buggy software platform that starts to offer me the feature I demanded at order date and was promised than to not have it at all..
Photo of KD7CAO

KD7CAO

• 34 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
  • confused, frustrated, cheated, pissed off

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Paul - K6HR

Paul - K6HR

• 120 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
At the moment it's still June 30th here!
Photo of Richard McClelland, AA5S

Richard McClelland, AA5S

• 296 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
It's still June 30th here for another hour and a half :-)
Photo of DR DEPRESSOR

DR DEPRESSOR

• 11 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Well it's July 1st here on the east coast. However,  digital technology is unfortunately  not immune to glitches. This is part of the  building process .  Maybe if FR didn't advertise a release date then your frustration would be minimal.  As others have said you can still operate  your radio without a glitch no pun intended.  Were you planning on using the radio this weekend as a remote setup?  I am sure Gerald and his team are feeling the frustration as well,  while trying to deliver  this new  software package to those that need this important update.  But, then FR may have other issues when there is a continued pattern of not achieving deadlines as promised. I am new to FR  and did observe this with the delivery of the Maestro last year. They were a month late with the release which isn't so unreasonable. However ,there again money was tied up without a product but operate the radio without this added appliance. But, FR isn't immune to late delivery other companies face similar problems especially when electronics and software development  are involved such as with digital cameras.  Since there is a known delayed to advertised delivery dates at FR do we then assume that the new radios introduced at Dayton to be released for shipping  August/September time period will be slated for a later date?  This is the question that beckons us that either traded in or sold radios. If that does become an issue I would hope that FR would inform the amateur community that those dates previously advertised will be pushed back accordingly in a timely manner. That will be more frustrating as there is greater money is tied up with lost interest to be earned and potentially no product to be shipped or in some cases the inability to operate a station. I won't go any further since the clock is still ticking towards the August timetable. To be continued...
(Edited)
Photo of Marty Gibson

Marty Gibson

• 32 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
gawd..i wish you guys would get off the band wagon of rambling on about failed this , false that!

Be greatful that V1 is out and V2 will come out when its ready!

Maybe there are bugs that need sorting and Flex dont want to use you as guinea pigs.

Good things come to those who wait..remember that when you were younger.

Radio is a hobby not a life ruling requirement.

Wait till its ready..then i suppose it will get ripped and shredded to bits anyway.

Some ppl are just NEVER happy.

Enjoy the life you have RadioNerds..Enjoy radio when life permits you to do so.

There are bigger threats in society atm to worry about other than a new release of software and something that works.

Grow up peeps.

Good job Flex for giving us all what we already have.

I am willing to wait till its ready.Until then, utilise my fault free system.

(Edited)
Photo of Clay N9IO

Clay N9IO

• 631 Posts
  • 169 Reply Likes
Amen!
Photo of Marty Gibson

Marty Gibson

• 32 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
gawd..i wish you guys would get off the band wagon of rambling on about failed this , false that!
Be greatful that V1 is out and V2 will come out when its ready!
Maybe there are bugs that need sorting and Flex dont want to use you as guinea pigs.
Good things come to thise who wait..remember that when you were younger.

Radio is a hobby not a life ruling requirement.
Wait till its ready..then i suppose it will get ripped and shredded to bits anyway.
Some ppl are just NEVER happy.
Enjoy the life you have RadioNerds..Enjoy radio when life permits you to do so.
There are bigger threats in society atm to worry about other than a new release of software and something that works.
Grow up peeps.
Good job Flex for giving us all what we already have.
I am willing to wait till its ready.Until then, utilise my fault free system.
Photo of Rick  WN2C

Rick WN2C

• 306 Posts
  • 47 Reply Likes
And if it comes out on Monday...what would you say then? Really it is best to not have buggy software and then have to go back to a previous version. I really want to say some thing more but I'll be nice about it.
Photo of KD7CAO

KD7CAO

• 34 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
I would be ecstatic. I wouldn't be upset because it would finally be here.
Photo of Gerald - K5SDR

Gerald - K5SDR, Employee

• 830 Posts
  • 1515 Reply Likes
Eric, if all goes well it may go out as a RC on Monday to the alpha test team but it certainly will not go out to GA.  We have to go through a complete RC cycle without critical bugs before it goes GA.  
Photo of Steve K9ZW

Steve K9ZW, Elmer

• 1567 Posts
  • 771 Reply Likes
@Eric - somehow you've missed all of FRS's recent posts?

If you have, there ain't no helping you and I'd suggest you sell your Flex-6000 as quick as possible.

If you've missed them you'd know exactly what is up and should knock off the whining-- it just makes it hard to keep your place in adult conversation.

Kudos to FRS for having the gumption and principles to stick to the quality commitment even if it means anticipated delivery dates get pushed.

And as for the adult-aged-children pouting -grow up kiddo as the real world is just something you need to deal with.

Steve
K9ZW
Photo of Mal

Mal

• 47 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I wish I could sell it, but nobody wants to buy it.
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3973 Posts
  • 967 Reply Likes
How long has it been up for sale?
Photo of Ken Hansen

Ken Hansen

• 336 Posts
  • 110 Reply Likes
Curious which Flex 6000-series product you find so hard to dispose of - I'm certain a buyer could be found if you would only bother to solicit offers...

I assume it is a Flex 6000-series product you wish to be rid of, since those are the only devices impacted by a delay in SSDR 2.0.
Photo of KD7CAO

KD7CAO

• 34 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
I have seen the posts, but I have been verbally told at HamCOM in Irving twice in two different years that it would be here by the end of x date. The latest being a June 30, 2017.
Photo of Mal

Mal

• 47 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Flex 670+Maestro+Flex Control
Photo of EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

• 1782 Posts
  • 547 Reply Likes
The same level of understanding to FRS due to delays and missed dates should also be directed to users frustrated and disappointed. Anyone is entitled to their opinions and frustrations. KD7CAO expressed his. I guess others expressed their frustration with the frustrated users.... and the vicious circle goes on and on....

If I don't agree with his point of view I move on and don't bother posting. The bashing of disgruntle users is in my opinion, as bad or worse than the bashing of FRS for missing a date.  I have, in the past, done the same when posters expressed opinions different to mine, but I am learning to stay quiet instead of letting my feelings get the best of me. *or at least I try.

Who really wants a forum where all you get is praises to FRS regardless of what they do?
Discourse is healthy and FRS answers. Let's be civil on all sides of the spectrum.
Photo of Jd Dupuy

Jd Dupuy

• 155 Posts
  • 60 Reply Likes
Totally agree. I get tired of seeing people try and squash free speech on this site!
Photo of Newton White

Newton White

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I think some of the replies to the original rant are based upon his claim of being promised specific things - not sure what those promises supposedly are but I would like to know exactly what was 'promised.' I didn't receive any promises over that a hope and desire to meet certain deadlines with the proviso that those deadlines may not be met and the reasons they may not be met. 
To claim a promise was made if it wasn't is definitely free speech, but worth exactly what we paid for it.
Photo of Steve K9ZW

Steve K9ZW, Elmer

• 1567 Posts
  • 771 Reply Likes
A purposefully inflammatory and negative post is not a protected opinion, especially when it is lazy & ignorant of actual FRS communications.

That is being deconstructive by whining.

Maybe the ignorant should have their own thread - wait they do called "eHam."....

Defending an ass on free speach principles is admirable, but still leaves what they said factually wrong.

YMMV as it was predictable someone would have a temper tantrum. But don't forget in your protected speech ideal that my opinion Eric was out of line and factually incorrect is ALSO valid protected speech.

There is a difference between though. I'm doing my best to keep to the facts and take the time to read what FRS is communicating. Oh, and unlike some of the relentless critics I actually own Flex-6000 radios.

Steve
K8ZW
Photo of KD7CAO

KD7CAO

• 34 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
I have chosen to post on a Flex operated site rather than going to a public forum such as eHam, Twitter, Facebook, or the BBB because air would much rather see the company fulfill their promise to me that is now two years old than to totally smear the company. I posted here because Matt Youngblood my sales Rep keeps giving me dumb replies such as it will be here after 1.x.x. You have to understand I ordered the version 2 software as a guarantee of the original Flex 6700 because the one feature so needed was the remote operations. I was told at time of sale we can do that with version 2 it will ship within the year, that was within six months of my purchase date. I could post the email chains but, I don't think anyone really wants to go through all them.
Photo of Jd Dupuy

Jd Dupuy

• 155 Posts
  • 60 Reply Likes
K9ZW, the biggest bully on this site. Always calls folks names and attempts to demean them. And he gets worse each time he makes a post. And he's labeled an "Elmer". One big chip on his shoulder too! Let's see you have used "ignorant" and "ass" this time around.  You set a great example. More like you is what this community needs.
Photo of Gerald - K5SDR

Gerald - K5SDR, Employee

• 830 Posts
  • 1515 Reply Likes
Eric,

I have given everyone here the honest status of where v2 stands as of today.  If you were at Hamcom, you were able to see it SmartLink running live in the booth in early June.  We also operated a dozen stations around the world from Hamvention in May from Maestro, PC, and iOS devices.  At both events our entire team believed in our heart of hearts it would be out by the end of the month.  I did not know myself until early this week that we would not quite make it.

We are in the final stages of labor on this baby.  V2 is the only thing the software team has been working on for months.  Nothing you or others say here will speed it up or help your cause in any way.  You have made your point.  Further rehashing helps no one including yourself.  

Sincerely,
Gerald 
Photo of Steve K9ZW

Steve K9ZW, Elmer

• 1567 Posts
  • 771 Reply Likes
@All - apologies if my words read harsher than intended.  That is not my goal for good communications and interaction.

Thank you to JD for pointing out they could be ready as bullying.  Ex-Army and working in the construction world, your ears would be ringing from my words if I really let it hang out.  

Facts are facts, and that includes if MY written words read poorly. Sorry folks!

Steve
K9ZW
(Edited)
Photo of Pat N6PAT

Pat N6PAT

• 844 Posts
  • 268 Reply Likes
What exactly are the new features in V2 that not having them today is preventing people from enjoying their radios? They make it sound like their radios are useless without v2.

I use my 6700 every day and it seems to work fine without v2. In fact, it works great! I could wait another year for the upgrade and it wouldn't have any impact on my great on air experience

Photo of NM1W

NM1W

• 136 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
Its not new features that I want... I want a radio that doesnt crash and a working dax that doesnt need restarting every few hours..
Photo of Pat N6PAT

Pat N6PAT

• 844 Posts
  • 268 Reply Likes
My 6700 has never crashed. Perhaps it's some other software running on your computer that is causing the problems.I'm running Windows 8.1 and a large assortment of apps with no issues with crashes.

I operate SSB, CW and Digi and can honestly say that my Flex is by far the most reliable rig I've ever owned.
Photo of NM1W

NM1W

• 136 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
Pat you are fortunate; There was a long thread on here with about 50 others who have experienced the rig crashing. I run cw, and digital; typically 4 wsjtx sessions, and a cwskimmer or two..
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9197 Posts
  • 3557 Reply Likes
KD7CAO - we understand your disappointment and frustration. This post by Gerald the CEO of FlexRadio Systems 4 days ago communicated the release status of SmartSDR v2.0.

https://community.flexradio.com/flexr...

Yes, it is delayed due to some unexpected issues that arose in testing. Rather than releasing a product with issues, we made the right decision to delay in order to ensure a better product; we will never release software with known fatal defects, that is irresponsible. We are in the Release Candidate phase of the release life cycle, which indicates we are close to a release; a matter of weeks as long as nothing major is encountered. This is just the nature of developing software for a multiple processor embedded system.

Yesterday there was extensive communication from Gerald regarding the 2.0 release on the Community. If you haven't done so, I suggest you review his comments.
Photo of Jeff

Jeff

• 6 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Eric - welcome to the FlexRadio family!  As you will learn, the dates given are GOALS not PROMISES.  Adjust your expectations accordingly!
Photo of KD7CAO

KD7CAO

• 34 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
I have been a part of this community for over two years waiting on failed promises.
Photo of Mike - VE3CKO

Mike - VE3CKO, Elmer

• 543 Posts
  • 280 Reply Likes
Wha, wha wha. Non stop crying. Let's all chip in for a box of Kleenex.
Photo of Ken Hansen

Ken Hansen

• 336 Posts
  • 110 Reply Likes
"I would much rather than have a buggy software platform that starts to offer me the feature I demanded at order date and was promised than to not have it at all.."

Opinions differ on this - personally, if I'm asked to pay $200 for a piece of software, I prefer it NOT to be "a buggy software platform that starts to offer me feature(s)".

I, and many others, prefer functionality and stability over punctuality.
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3973 Posts
  • 967 Reply Likes
you want buggy software? Really, I bet no one eles will vote for that one.
Photo of KD7CAO

KD7CAO

• 34 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
All software is buggy. There is not one piece of software that works for absolutely everyone perfectly.
Photo of Ken Hansen

Ken Hansen

• 336 Posts
  • 110 Reply Likes
There is a difference between shipping software with known bugs in it and finding bugs after release.

So if Flex released SSDR 2.0 and the known bug impacted you, was something you wanted fixed/corrected/changed from SSDR 1.X, you'd be OK with it, because they released it on the promised date?

I think not.

Pretending otherwise is nonsensical.
Photo of Steve W6SDM

Steve W6SDM

• 625 Posts
  • 283 Reply Likes
It's not hard to see the division.  Most of us with any degree of maturity are content to wait for a solid, working release - however long it takes.  Those who are impatient would like to have it all now.  

Those same "have it all now" folks would be the first to flood the forum with complaints about the bugs in the program that "should have been eliminated before it was released".  You can't address their argument because they're irrational.

There are a lot of people working on the next release and this constant whining and crying about being violated and deceived is not making things any better.  
Photo of Rich McCabe

Rich McCabe

• 1122 Posts
  • 240 Reply Likes
Open conversation is good.  But its hard to take it serious when you see people setting up the hangman gallows a week or two before the  "crime" has been committed.

I am impatient like everyone else. Probably worse...

But you cant get this type of "community" anywhere else. Flex has created this for us and for the most part it has worked to our advantage.  I ask out of seriousness. Has anyone ever been involved with Icom, Yaesu or Kenwood at this level ?

Rich
Photo of Brenton Meadows

Brenton Meadows

• 61 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
I have just recently bought my flex 6700 and maestro to suit so patience is not a problem as I'm having a ball with so many facets of the 6700.
Can you correct me if im wrong, version 2 will allow say the maestro to hotspot from various internet sources instead of just an intranet application that I am using off my loval router currently.
I have fallen in love with the 6700 and the maestro and even though I love using my icom 7850, it's so good to now Say, there's no chance of getting bored, that's for sure. Is there an indicative price for the flex smartsfr get 2.0 as yet? And I'm on no hurry, rather have bugs removed by experts no matter what the delay.
Cheers brenton vk3cm tangambalanga north east Victoria Australia
Photo of Gerald - K5SDR

Gerald - K5SDR, Employee

• 830 Posts
  • 1515 Reply Likes
Brenton,

Yes, v2 will allow you to use Maestro remotely over the Internet.  You can also go remote using iPhone, iPad, or Windows devices.  I have been operating my home station in restaurants around town using my iPad over LTE cellular.

The price for the v2 upgrade is $199.  This price includes any future 2.x upgrades that may be released at some future time.

Gerald
Photo of Brenton Meadows

Brenton Meadows

• 61 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Thanks Gerald, is it advisable to transfer the warranty over at at a USD cost of I think $89 when there is only a few months left. The old ownwrvof the signature 6700 said he may have been able to get her 2.0 free but doubted this would be true as I have now become the second owner. My thinking was i was not seeing any issues in this great 6700 system, and with only a few months left, investing into the version 2.0 might be more beneficial. Your advice appreciated
Cheers brenton vk3cm
Tangambalanga north east Victoria Australia
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9196 Posts
  • 3557 Reply Likes
The warranty only covers the hardware
Photo of Gerald - K5SDR

Gerald - K5SDR, Employee

• 830 Posts
  • 1515 Reply Likes
Official Response
Dear Eric,

I sincerely apologize and ask our forgiveness for any pain, anguish and suffering you are feeling because we did not release v2 yesterday.  Though I have the authority to rush products out the door I simply will not and therefore the buck stops with me.  By holding v2 back I am also holding back revenue for the company.  I would rather have it done right to the best of our human ability than to have the revenue yesterday.

Earlier this week, I publicly addressed our status of v2. in the following Community post:

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/is-smartsdr-v2-0-ready

On 6/26 we had 20 issues remaining to be cleared before a Release Candidate could be sent to our alpha team.  As of yesterday evening two remained.  Those two are deemed critical to release of the RC so we will not do so until they are done.  

Our development team has been focused for months solely on completing SmartSDR v2.  Our June estimate was an honest goal relative to where we thought we were at the time we made the estimate.  I think the following post W9OY earlier on the Community where he relates it to surgery is a perfect analogy:

I know when v 2 will be released, when it's ready. I'm an anesthesiologist by profession and you would not believe the number of patients who want to know how long the surgery is going to take. It takes as long as it takes and not a minute more. Only a dumbass would base his surgery on speed and not success. Flex could have put out a version and called it version 2 at any time and charged you for it. Instead they have continued to add value to version 1 month after month year after year. What's the reward? Bitchin. Maybe they should put out version 3 in 6 months and charge you another $200. Bet you all would be real happy then. 
73 W9OY
We allow a great deal of latitude, within limits, for free speech here.  I personally try to read and respond as time permits.  Unfortunately, free speech does not always serve well those who choose to exercise it and may at times work against their own self interest.  There are plenty of examples of this every day in the public discourse on all forms of social media.

Eric, here are the facts relative to v2.0 as they stand today:
  1. Once we complete the two remaining critical issues, we will send the RC to our alpha test team for their testing.  
  2. If there are no issues found in testing deemed critical by the development team, we can then go to general release (GA).
  3. If critical issues are identified in the RC, we will "rinse and repeat" until no more critical issues are found.  
  4. I will not override the development team's judgement relative to shipment before all critical issues are resolved.  No amount of complaining here will change that decision.
  5. I have asked our development team not to read the Community during this time because that would have a negative adverse affect on the delivery time.
  6. Nothing said here on this forum will speed this process and could in fact impede.
My only promise is that SmartSDR will ship when it is deemed ready.  I cannot say now the exact day and hour or that it will be perfect and meet every single person's expectations.  In fact I can guarantee that it won't meet everyone's expectations.  

Eric, once again I apologize for causing you such anguish.

Gerald, K5SDR
Photo of Ken Hansen

Ken Hansen

• 336 Posts
  • 110 Reply Likes
It's not like anyone has actually paid Flex $199 for the upgrade yet, have they?

The only issue I see here is a missed release date, that's it.
(Edited)
Photo of mikeatthebeach .

mikeatthebeach .

• 480 Posts
  • 82 Reply Likes
This reminds me of a joke
  A manager at my company wanted something in 1 month when it would take 9 months.
Well, I said, we can get nine women to make a baby in 1 month, will that work ??
The manager said, let's do it !
Guess what, it took 9 months.....So, it will be ready when it's ready, no sooner !
Photo of David-N5PSM

David-N5PSM

• 173 Posts
  • 42 Reply Likes
June was not a promise,  It was an estimate.  I am patient.  Be glad that Flex has a good communication network not like DEM.
Photo of Jim Gilliam

Jim Gilliam

• 944 Posts
  • 218 Reply Likes

Now is a good time for the whiners to learn VPN. Regardless of whether I use it with SmartSDR, it is worth the time and effort to learn this mode of operation. It has opened the door not only using SmartSDR over the WAN, but other programs like the one that comes with the Antenna Genius. There has been a lot of help offered by the users group and they helped me over this hump. As I mentioned in another similar thread, I am glad it too this long. VPN and SmartSDR work wonderfully together!

Jim, K6QE

Photo of Ed, K6VMV

Ed, K6VMV

• 10 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
To Gerald, Tim, and the rest of the FRS crew.  I bought a 6300 a couple years ago and I have never had a problem.  I love the radio and I am impressed by the support Flex offers it's customers. Considering the complexity of the software, I would simply suggest that in the future instead of advertising a release date in magazines and websites, you consider stating "Coming soon".  Try not to pin yourself down on release dates.  Keep up the great work. 73, Ed, K6VMV 
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9197 Posts
  • 3557 Reply Likes
That is seriously being considered.
Photo of Tony WV2C

Tony WV2C

• 41 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Dear Eric,
Shut off the computer, the radio's, and the scanners. Please go outside for a long walk &
 Get a Life!  
Photo of Gene - K3GC

Gene - K3GC

• 251 Posts
  • 63 Reply Likes
I am constantly amazed at the volume of harsh rhetoric on this site. Maybe I just don't get it.

I have enjoyed my 6500 for several years now.  I don't know how many SSDR updates there have been over that period of time but my radio is substantially different (better) than when i took delivery.  If it weren't I would still enjoy it.  I made my purchase decision based on what it was THEN not on some hope for the future.

If v2 were to never happen I would still have a really really good radio - one of the best there is.  I think my 6500 is the best there is next to the 6700 of course.

There are other perfectly good radios on the market for those who are dissatisfied with Flex,  I have had several other radios over the years - some better than others.  I have made a change when, to me, a better option was offered.

For those who feel that they have been let down, ripped off or otherwise abused by FRS I would suggest that you vote with your wallet; there is a brisk market for used radios.  If I were as angry as you I would be long gone.

I have spent enough time typing - I would rather be making contacts.
73, Gene
Photo of Pat N6PAT

Pat N6PAT

• 844 Posts
  • 268 Reply Likes
I think the moderators should close this thread down as it has devolved into something less than productive.
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9197 Posts
  • 3557 Reply Likes
Since this post has been answered by Gerald and it is degrading into multiple violations of the Community usage policy, I am closing this thread.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.